Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Collector Car Insurance

I think it is time to swap around our car insurance. We currently have all our vehicles on a State Farm policy and carry stacked coverages. During the winter months, State Farm allows us to suspend certain coverages on our play cars so the premium on those vehicles is significantly reduced.

I have considered the specialty insurance companies, such as Hagerty, Grundy, Heacock, etc., however, not having any prior experience with these companies I am uncertain which one to go with. I am more concerned about coverage than cost as State Farm is simply not going to pay what our vehicles are truly worth should something bad happen.

Any recommendations or experience with this type of insurance?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ive been thinking about this myself..i have herd good things about hagerty and grundy

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i believe they have to come out and appraise it first. then show them any reciepts yopu have for the car.
    good luck eith it when i get the monte back on the rod i'll be doing the same.

i also think with state farm you can pay more to cover more. when i got my carmaro a few years back i asked about it at progessive, and they said i could just get more cover. meaning the amount on the car for aftermarket stero ect.

I can go on about State Farm and the issues I've had with them on older vehicles but I'll keep this clean,,,lol.
    Better off to find insurance companies that specialize in classic coverage.

I used Grundy for a few years but switched to Hagerty about 8 years ago and never looked back.

One thing you have to watch is the mileage limitations they stick you with, as well as whether it's garaged, where you drive it, what you use it for etc....

Grundy was a real pain in the arse about this. I mainly got sick and tired of the mileage limitations. They put a cap of 2,000 miles annually, which in my opinion is completely ridiculous. That's not even an oil change. Not to mention, since we actually use our classic cars for large events that generally require traveling sometimes 1,000 mile round trips,,,you can easily see how the mileage limitations put a damper in things very quickly.
    It's nothing for us to jump in a car and spend the weekend at Pigeon Forge Rod Run, Or travel to other neighboring states for Goodguys, TriPower Nats, Buick Nationals, Super Chevy etc etc...Escpecially since we have multiple cars of various makes. Sometimes my wife also wants to drive one and we take 2 cars on the trip.

So the mileage limitation was huge for us. That's why we made the switch to Hagerty. No mileage limitations on our policy. Although they don't necessarily require an appraisal on most cars as long as the requested insured amount isn't outragious. We still have appraisals on all our cars along with a walk around video and description of each, just to cover our asses. In my opinion you can't go overboard with this stuff. Some of these cars you just can't replace anymore. Even if they don't request an appraisal I'd recommend getting one done anyway, and have it updated every couple of years. You'll have to find a good appraiser familiar with what you have. Generally you'll spend ~$100-$200 getting a professional job done, but well worth the money.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be looking into this more over the next few weeks when I have time. I figure it is always better to ask than make a blind decision on something like this.

1966 Corvette Coupe

I have Hagerty... Nothing to getting the coverage... you name what the car is worth and answer a few questions and send them a pic and *pop*... Your covered... I can also verify that there is not mileage requirement... they do ask you what you plan on putting on the car... I told them 4k/year and they ask for a simple explanation of how i was arriving at that number... They were just trying to get an idea of how i was planning to use the car...

REALLY cheap too... I think I'm around $400 a year on the Vette covered up to $45k... Will they actually pay that out? I have no idea... Do they have good customer service? Once again... no idea...

They also include some nice towing services an gas delivery and such if i remember correctly... You should check it out... I was very surprised at the pricing...

BTW unless it has over 50hp over stock its not considered a modified car when you are filling out a quote...

-me
    Last edited by predator; 11-02-2010 at 03:27 PM.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

I have had collector car insurance thru Condon & Skelley for several years now. They are actually a broker. The company they placed me with is Metropolitan.

I pay $158.00 per year for both a '65 Harley Electra Glide and a '68 Mustang. You can determine your rate by declaring the value of your vehicle(s). When I initially purchased insurance thru them, I was required to send pictures (front, back & both sides) with the application.

I am limited to 2500 miles per year for each vehicle. This limitation has not been a problem for me.

Rip

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I use American collectors insurance. It's a customizable policy. I have the camaro on it with a value of $19k. Mileage restriction is 6k and it can't be my daily driver. I must have another car insured and prove it.
    The cost is $250 a year with a $1k deductible.

2003 Silverado

Does anyone have experience with these insurance companies covering a car that is in the process of being restored?

I have a 1967 Impala SS insured with State Farm and it is not close to the $$ in the car. The Impala is not yet to a roadworthy condition so I have not pursued increasing the coverage with State Farm.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was told by State Farm that if you take your car to a certified appraiser and have it appraised, they have to warrant that amount.

This was a few years ago from my State Farm agent.

I was at one point contemplating getting the 35th LE appraised for insurance purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by awray View Post
    Does anyone have experience with these insurance companies covering a car that is in the process of being restored?

I have a 1967 Impala SS insured with State Farm and it is not close to the $$ in the car. The Impala is not yet to a roadworthy condition so I have not pursued increasing the coverage with State Farm.
    I've only done that on one car. I want to say I had Grundy at the time but I can't remember for sure.
    I've been away from State Farm for so long I don't know if they would do something like that or not.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by awray View Post

I believe both grundy and haggerity offer that service

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The upcoming car show usually has booths for a couple of the collector car insurance companies. I am going to stop and play 20 questions with a few of them and see what they say.

NBM
    99 TA

I have grundy for my t/a and they do not have a mileage restriction (maybe that was something in the past?). But I am covered for up to 38k for under $400 annual premium. When I signed up, they required some pictures of the car (front and side) and a list of the parts on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    I have grundy for my t/a and they do not have a mileage restriction (maybe that was something in the past?). But I am covered for up to 38k for under $400 annual premium. When I signed up, they required some pictures of the car (front and side) and a list of the parts on the car.
    They may have changed the mileage restriction since then. They lost me several years ago as a customer because of that, and I'm betting I wasn't the only one.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

I use American Modern.

They have an endorsement which allows you to occasionally drive your vehicle to work. Hagerty and Grundy absolutely do not allow it at all.

Thread Information