Results 1 to 11 of 11

Chasis swap on 66 Impala

This is a discussion on Chasis swap on 66 Impala within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok so I've seen a few rolling chasis with eng/xmsn for sale on ebay and also on craigslist. These were ...

  1. #1
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    Chasis swap on 66 Impala

    Ok so I've seen a few rolling chasis with eng/xmsn for sale on ebay and also on craigslist. These were from 00'+ Corvettes. I'm wondering if it's possible to drop a 66 4dr Impala body on one of these. I read in Hot Rod mag a little while ago about something similar but the Imp was a 64 SS, not sure what year the vette chasis was. This is something I would consider if I had the time and $, right now I'm just wondering if it's possible.

  2. #2
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    With enough money and fab skills anything is possible. I've seen vette suspension under 5-6-7 nomads and just about everything inbetween.
    It would be alot of work to go through for a 4 door,,,but it would be unique, thats for sure. That would simply have to be a labor of love.

    I personally never saw the attraction so I don't bother to investigate any further,,,but I can appreciate the work involved.

  3. #3
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San DEEEE Eggo
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,985

    teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

    well it would take alot of work and money unless you were to do alot of it yourself. You would be better off going with an art morrison chassis. The vette suspension was designed for the vette not a heavy old car, it may be neat but that is where it will probably stop, you won't be able to handle like a vette.

  4. #4
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    well it would take alot of work and money unless you were to do alot of it yourself. You would be better off going with an art morrison chassis. The vette suspension was designed for the vette not a heavy old car, it may be neat but that is where it will probably stop, you won't be able to handle like a vette.
    I've seen it work on Nomads as I mentioned,,,thats about as heavy as old cars get. I'm sure it's possible to change the spring rates and compensate for added weight.

    As far as handling like a vette??? I really don't know if thats what people are after with this type of conversion or not. Maybe ride quality??? I don't know but like I said it never appealed to me for the simple fact that I love the old cars for what they are and I love driving them the way they were built. But I'll admit I've seen some very well executed cars and I can appreciate the work and effort. Some of the money spent was over the top though.

  5. #5
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San DEEEE Eggo
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,985

    teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've seen it work on Nomads as I mentioned,,,thats about as heavy as old cars get. I'm sure it's possible to change the spring rates and compensate for added weight.

    As far as handling like a vette??? I really don't know if thats what people are after with this type of conversion or not. Maybe ride quality??? I don't know but like I said it never appealed to me for the simple fact that I love the old cars for what they are and I love driving them the way they were built. But I'll admit I've seen some very well executed cars and I can appreciate the work and effort. Some of the money spent was over the top though.
    Well it will cost alot of money to get it working right, alot of modification will have to be done. I mean we are talking alot of factors here, wheelbase, how long the car is and so forth, i don't think it would really work for an imp.
    Like i said when it comes to that i would just go with an aftermarket chassis that is built and designed to go onto an impala

  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    Well it will cost alot of money to get it working right, alot of modification will have to be done. I mean we are talking alot of factors here, wheelbase, how long the car is and so forth, i don't think it would really work for an imp.
    Like i said when it comes to that i would just go with an aftermarket chassis that is built and designed to go onto an impala
    Ya I don't think anyone is under the impression it would be cheap. But if you want something different and unique it's usually pricey.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    Most of the chassis I have seen looks like the front suspension and rear suspension with the torque tube in between. You would still have to make some sort of frame.

  8. #8
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San DEEEE Eggo
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,985

    teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

    max g chassis, that is all you need

  9. #9
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    I definitly can't afford something like this but was still interested in if it was possible or not. Right now the issue with the project is to just get it running again, if the time and oppurtunity presents itself to do something different and/or unique to the car I'll probably try it. The Impala isn't that heavy of a car either, just a little under 4K if my research is correct. It's still a boat, but not a barge. If I'm wrong about the weight please correct me.

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    I definitly can't afford something like this but was still interested in if it was possible or not. Right now the issue with the project is to just get it running again, if the time and oppurtunity presents itself to do something different and/or unique to the car I'll probably try it. The Impala isn't that heavy of a car either, just a little under 4K if my research is correct. It's still a boat, but not a barge. If I'm wrong about the weight please correct me.
    You are in the ballpark for a small block impy.

  11. #11
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I have a 69 chevelle that was VERY rusted.....picked up a free 4x4 S-10 blazer...... cut the body off of the blazer and the floor out of the chevelle.....sat yhe chrvelle body down around the blazer floor and rolling chassis, and fabbed up a ladder bar setup that moved the rearend back 11"s to match yhe right wheel base, then swapped the transfer case out for an olds bravada all wheel drive unit.
    the S-10 wheel track is 6"s narrower than the chevelle so right now with the stock rear I'm tucking 15x10 crager ss's in the back and 15x8's in the front.
    the only thing that gives it away is if you look under the front end and see the front axel hanging there......
    it took some metal work, but has been relatively easy sofar.

    this is just another option for you to go. good luck on the man!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: impala ss
    By kuwaiti78 in forum Road Racing / AutoX
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  2. suspension,chasis parts and drag radials
    By jimmyboy8301 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
  3. My Impala
    By juicedimpss in forum Member's Rides
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 01:03 AM
  4. Swap engine of a Impala or stroke it?
    By White Cobra in forum LT1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
  5. 95 impala ss f.s.
    By BIGCOWL-IMP in forum Great Lakes Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 02:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •