Brother is looking at a 74 Firebird, what should he look for

Like the title says. My brother is looking at a 74 Firebird, what should he look for. It's got a 350 with 83k on the clock, a new 400 trans shift kit, the 71 ram air hood, recentally repainted, some chipping on the paint. New interrior and asking 3895

black
    81 Z28 4/S

ceck for rust

ON the 2nd gen f bodys the like to rust on yhe conners of the front window by the vin tag.. That peice is not avalable or i have not been able to find it. Also the front leaf spring perches rust through the floor board pull the back seat out and check. If these and other peices are rusted walk away spend a little more money on a clean southern car.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

to many 400s out there to mess with a 350 ... These birds are also bad about rusting around the wheel well openings or in the trunk... Look for the 77-79 T/A or Formula .. Lots of people took good care of them and they are easy to find .....

Spectra Red
    1984 Trans Am

As mentioned check for the rusted area like the windshield base and trunk/ rear suspension area. once that goes it's a parts car.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the '74. it's the last year of the flat back window (they went to the wrap around in '75). You could easily turn it into an early T/A or Formula clone with the proper body panels.

They definitely made more of the late 70's 'birds, but , the flip side is that many more people have them. There's something to be said about having a less common car, imo. I enjoy not being the "me too" guy.

Also, the earlier cars (depending on which state you live in) are smog exempt. If you're going to hot rod it this matters.

350- a Pontiac 350? agreed- don't waste your money wrenching on the Pontiac 350. Build a Pontiac 400. It'll respond better to each upgrade you'd otherwise do to the Pontiac 350.

I hope this is helpful.

Black
    99 SS

the front fenders right after the wheel rust out bad on these cars and suspension also, check the trunk's

thanks guys keep em comming

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

I would have to disagree that it's not worth wasting the money on a 350 car, the pontiac 350 which this car has, has alot of torque and does have some potential, if you want I have a couple 400s,428s and 455s even a 421 but you can't buy that one, any of those will wake it up signifigantly, check out this site. www.pontiacengines.com, as everyone here said watch the rear 1/4 panels, front fender wells, underneath the rear seat/trunk and around the rear window seals. hope this helps.

Thread Information