80's cars as classic or collectible?

This is a discussion on 80's cars as classic or collectible? within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Does anyone think that any 80's cars will end up as classics? I know the Grand National and '89 TTA ...

80's cars as classic or collectible?

Does anyone think that any 80's cars will end up as classics?

I know the Grand National and '89 TTA already are, but what about any others?

I was thinking about this the other day. The 60's cars were cool in the 80's, so how about 80's cars being cool now? I remember being a kid in the 80's, (I was born in '78) and thinking a '67 Camaro was about the coolest car there was. Do little kids today think the same about '87 Camaros?

Also, it seems like alot of the older guys are into the 60's cars because that's what they had when they were kids, or at least that's what they WANTED when they were kids. When I was growing up, the hot cars to have were Fox body 'stangs and 3rd gens. I wonder if in ten or 20 years people will be going crazy over them like they seem to be going crazy over their 60's counterparts.

I've been wanting to get an older car as a toy for a while now, and I originally wanted a 1st gen. The prices for good drivers are out of my range though. Lately I've been thinking a GTA or Formula 350 might be a good car instead. I think the 3rd gens have potential, especially the L98 cars. They still look good, they handle awesome, and they're pretty quick for an 80's car.

I had an 88 GTA back in the 90's, and I really miss it. It was a blast to drive, and it looked damned good too. I wonder if it was a future classic that I let get away?

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

I agree, the GN is/will be a classic. I also think that the 84 Olds 442 w/ lightning rods will eventually be considered 'classic'. Dunno about the 'maros, lots of em out there.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Your SS Monte Carlo's and your Z/28's. They are slowly starting to get restored more and more each day. I work at Year One and I see more and more people starting to restore these 80 model cars. The 60's and 70's are getting out of rteach for a junker. People can but drivers in the 80's for so much less.

1966 Corvette Coupe

yeah your gonna have your clasics always... deffinately monte carlo ss's, silverado's (86's are to die for), camaros, firebirds, mustangs...

one thing that could possible affected it was change in technology... do you think in the 80's you could really get that much better of a car? look at a 1970 gto and a 1986 monte carlo ss... both are pretty basic cars... then look at an 86 monte carlo ss and a 2002 camaro ss... totally different lvls...

you could take a classic and run with a new car for less money an not alot in the work back in the day... but new cars are FAST... to make a montecarlo ss run with a c5.... it would take quite a bit of work... and you would either have to deal with a carb or replace the whole injections system... too much work...

saying that... i plan on having a mid 80s monte and a 92 z28 sitting in my stable one of these days and right now i have an 89 silverado and an 80 mustang... so yeah i think they will come back...

-me

Impounded

red
    ajay

I agree and your Z/28's. They are slowly starting to get restored more and more each day. I work at Year One and I see more and more people starting to restore these 80 model cars. The 60's and 70's are getting out of rteach for a junker. People can but drivers in the 80's for so much less.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

very rare is an 86 monte ss areocoupe "200" made. all the same.
    also: 86/87 pontiac's 2+2 looks just like the monte ss but a little different in the lines. also 87 monte ss areocoupes not as rare as the 86 but only 5,862 madein 87. for a total of 6,062. i have an 87 with every option except power seats but i have yet to see an 87 ss areocoupe with this option although it is listed. these are the car i have loved for years i know just about everything about them,
    hope this helps. also looking to sell on 88 monte ss. pm if interested. thanks jeremy

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by t/as&dds
    I agree, the GN is/will be a classic. I also think that the 84 Olds 442 w/ lightning rods will eventually be considered 'classic'. Dunno about the 'maros, lots of em out there.
    I think the 87 Grand Nationals are a good deal now, there still not to $$. I have an 87 and for the price of a fuel pump and some higher octane gas they will run with a stock LS1.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

You guys are on to my next possible business venture. I have been playing around with a business plan to cater to the 80's children (like myself). I had an 87 442 that I cruised and showed until last year and have multiple friends with GN's and MCSS's. Here is my short list of target cars that span late 80's to early 90's.

83-84 Hurst Olds
    85-87 Olds 442
    83-87 MCSS
    83-87 Pontiac GP (mostly 2+2 cars and aero cars)
    82-87 GN's (mostly 86-87 cars and early stuff like the 82 1/2)
    84-89 Trans Ams (Including TTA and GTA cars)
    89-94 Trans Ams (and formulal Firebirds)
    83-89 Camaros (mostly IROC and Z28 cars and the pace car)
    Corvette ZR1's
    85-89 Mustang GTs

Here is where it starts to get wierd
    Dodge Omni GLHS/ Shelby cars
    Dodge Daytona (Turbo Z and IROC cars)
    84-89 Nissan 300ZX
    Isuzu Impulse (car had Lotus suspension and later engie due to GM ownership)
    Mazda RX 7

That's more or less the list. I am sure there are arguments for others I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by 87rocket
    You guys are on to my next possible business venture. I have been playing around with a business plan to cater to the 80's children (like myself). I had an 87 442 that I cruised and showed until last year and have multiple friends with GN's and MCSS's. Here is my short list of target cars that span late 80's to early 90's.

83-84 Hurst Olds
    85-87 Olds 442
    83-87 MCSS
    83-87 Pontiac GP (mostly 2+2 cars and aero cars)
    82-87 GN's (mostly 86-87 cars and early stuff like the 82 1/2)
    84-89 Trans Ams (Including TTA and GTA cars)
    89-94 Trans Ams (and formulal Firebirds)
    83-89 Camaros (mostly IROC and Z28 cars and the pace car)
    Corvette ZR1's
    85-89 Mustang GTs

Here is where it starts to get wierd
    Dodge Omni GLHS/ Shelby cars
    Dodge Daytona (Turbo Z and IROC cars)
    84-89 Nissan 300ZX
    Isuzu Impulse (car had Lotus suspension and later engie due to GM ownership)
    Mazda RX 7

That's more or less the list. I am sure there are arguments for others I can't think of off the top of my head right now.
    just to clear a few up for you,
    83-88 monte carlo ss's 86 areo, 87 areo,
    pontiac 2+2 is what they were called not areo's only 86/87 vey limited amount of these cars. areo were just the montes only 86/ 87 hope it helps you out.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Thanks. I was at work and didn't have all my G-Body notes in front of me. I knew the AeorCoupe and 2+2 were late build years due to the need for better aerodynamics for NASCAR. I really know the Olds line better than anything.

I also skipped the Supra Turbo, they weren't fast (not much in the 80's was) but they had a cool Targa Top.

Silver/Red/Black/Black
    94GT/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by rug
    I think the 87 Grand Nationals are a good deal now, there still not to $$. I have an 87 and for the price of a fuel pump and some higher octane gas they will run with a stock LS1.

Your damn right there a good deal, I'm getting one asap.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

As to the "do kids today think the same about the 87 camaros" Personally to me it was always the late sixties early seventys muscle cars, and all years of Camaros, and all the vettes, but not really the buicks and such.

Green
    1969 Pontiac Firebird 350

I don't think cars from the 80's will ever be a classic. Everybody these days want to get either a 60's or 70's muscle car. Also, kids don't like an 87 camaro. In my opinion, 80's was the worst year for cars.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro ss

Camaros

Funny no one speaks of the Iroc z circa 87-90 was a beautiful car in factory trim. There seemed to be zillions of them but they are dissapearing every day.
    Just update the interior and add an ls7 with 6 spd and you have an awesome handling fast car. Put big brakes on to. Thats where the 80's really sucked in Braking!!!!

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

I had them in my list, remember the IROC also shifted from the Camaro to the Dodge Daytona with some Shelby editions made as well.

Thread Information