Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

73 Dodge set up. What about horse power #s

This is a discussion on 73 Dodge set up. What about horse power #s within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by LS2Tuner ........ ......... ........ ........ ........ ........ ......... ........ ....... ........ ........ I saw this new smilie ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    ........ .................................

........ ........................................
    I saw this new smilie and thought it was fitting for you.
    You do anymore mods yet???
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

What's up with the 360. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Is the Charger still alive?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Cool

The charger is still going strong.I have done nothing new to it since I talked to you last year.All I plan to do to it now is have it painted and get some 373 gears for the rearend. Was thinking about going bigger on the cam,but I don't know. Good to hear from you keep in touch.David

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    The charger is still going strong.I have done nothing new to it since I talked to you last year.All I plan to do to it now is have it painted and get some 373 gears for the rearend. Was thinking about going bigger on the cam,but I don't know. Good to hear from you keep in touch.David
    Let me know before you purchase a new cam I would like to speak with you on that matter. Our MOPAR's are a whole other ball game and many company's just use a regular grind on the MOPAR bump sticks.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have heard that mopar cams are a little different than the run of the mill camshafts. I had planed on going with a mopar performance cam in the 484 range. I will need to get a stall,but with the heads, 373 gears that I plan to get, and a performance Dist.I hope that it will run even better than it does. who makes a good performance dist? and will a mopar cam be the best way to go?
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 08-22-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have heard that mopar cams are a little different than the run of the mill camshafts. I had planed on going with a mopar performance cam in the 484 range. I will need to get a stall,but with the heads, 373 gears that I plan to get, and a performance Dist.I hope that it will run even better than it does. who makes a good performance dist? and will a mopar cam be the best way to go?
    NO!

Run Forest Run!!

http://www.hughesengines.com/general...icleID=1000013

http://www.hughesengines.com/partRes...eID=1&pType=CM

red
    1977 Vega

I have run Msd distributors in the last couple of 360s that I have built. They work very well and are easy to tune. As for the cam, you will see that all of the mopar cams are basicly a reboxed comp cam. Also without flat tops your compression will be in the mid 8.? to 1 area. So don't go to big. Even with flat tops that are advertised as 10 to 1 will usually be around 9.5 to 1 with a stock 35 thousand crush gasket (felpro) and unmilled heads. The last stock head motor I built the heads were shaved 50 thousand and I ran 24 thousand crush mopar head gasket. This was ~10.8 to 1 with speed pro flat tops.

red
    1977 Vega

I have run Msd distributors in the last couple of 360s that I have built. They work very well and are easy to tune. As for the cam, you will see that all of the mopar cams are basically a reboxed comp cam. Also without flat tops your compression will be in the mid 8.? to 1 area. So don't go to big. Even with flat tops that are advertised as 10 to 1 will usually be around 9.5 to 1 with a stock 35 thousand crush gasket (felpro) and unmilled heads. The last stock head motor I built the heads were shaved 50 thousand and I ran 24 thousand crush mopar head gasket. This was ~10.8 to 1 with speed pro flat tops.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Shit David don't waste your money on a MSD dist.

Buy a Digital 6 box and leave the stock dist. it's just working as a circuit breaker then. You'll get 4 X the benefit from that box as you would the dist.

red
    1977 Vega

No disrespect LS2Tuner but stay away from the Hughes cams. If you do keep the stock dist at least get a curve kit.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by radguy View Post
    No disrespect LS2Tuner but stay away from the Hughes cams. If you do keep the stock dist at least get a curve kit.
    OK. What is your "Mopar" cam choice then?

Curve kit. . . . . . . . Lock that bitch out and wire in the start retard wire on the MSD.

red
    1977 Vega

I would save my money and spend it on some pistons. That would be the best bang for the buck. If you just want a motor that lopes and makes noise without performance then just about any cam with duration greater than 280 and lift above 500 at 50 degrees would work, but adding a cam to a low compression motor usually just cost performance.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by radguy View Post
    I would save my money and spend it on some pistons. That would be the best bang for the buck. If you just want a motor that lopes and makes noise without performance then just about any cam with duration greater than 280 and lift above 500 at 50 degrees would work, but adding a cam to a low compression motor usually just cost performance.
    Sorry but you are in correct. You can see great benefits from an after market grind that is designed for your application. Telling people you have to have high compression to put a came and gain power is FALSE!

There is many other variables on power in a cam than duration.

We have seen NOTHING but added power on the dyno with Hughes cams in ANY MOPAR. They are one of the only couple that actually design MOPAR specific cams.

So pulling a motor down to swap pistons to add compression is going to gain him how much power in your opinion. . . . . . . ?

red
    1977 Vega

First I need to apologize to street fighter for bickering with you in his post. I know from personal experience with Hughes what their quality is. I have owned many mopars and have built many 340s and 360s. I currently have a W2 headed 360 that I just completed. It will be going into a 66 Dart GT. I also have a 500ci with a chet Herber Roller and maxed out DC stage IV heads that I put together for a street rod. So I do have a little knowledge about mopars. I just thought I would share a little of my knowledge. With that said that is why I am on this site. I need some info on setting up my 5.3 4L60 combo in my 77 Vega.

StreetFighter if you have not already joined go to http://www.moparstyle.net/forums/ it is the one of the best mopar sites around. There are some very knowledgeable people there.

With that said I will not waste any more of your time with these worthless posts.

Dan

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Cool

No post is useless if it given to help inlighten some one on what worked for you. We all have opinions and they all count, but I don't think I will be tearing down a engine that have about 10,000 miles on it to get a little more compression. I checked the compression on my 77 camaro which have flattop pistons and there was 175-182 on the camaro and 168-173 on the charger's 360 with 30 over none flattop.The camaro has a 350 bored 60 over and it halls aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, but so do the charger, I my not have the fastest 73 charger in town, but it sure is alot of fun to drive. I think that I my keep the cam and just get the gears, like I said in one of my other post it gets side ways now so I might just get gears and msd box and leave it at that. Thanks for all help.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah tearing a motor down to gain some compression is not a good way to gain power. We have already proved over the years that it isn't worth a measly 15-20hp to pull a motor down and change pistons. MANY other ways to gain more power for less money and ALOT less labor.

And just because someone has had many cars and motors means NOTHING about there knowledge or wisdom on building power. I have customers that are in there 50's that have been drag racing for 30 years and are still confused about what to really do to make there car faster. Many people have been told in correct things in the past before we knew better. That doesn't make the theory correct by any means.

When you do this for a living EVERYDAY you tend to see it first hand on what works and what doesn't. Not to mention how many old school theorys have been proven wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information