700 R on a 1s gen,

700 R in a 1st gen, any body done this?
    pros and cons please.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i have a first gen right now, i have a 700 r-4 stage 2 from bow tie overdrives but i never installed it. I am going to be going tt ls2 on it, and i want to buy the detroit speed front clip for it. By this time next year i will have the front clip engine minus the turbo setup and the 6 spd. It will probably be two years until it is done.
    Now i have this 700 R-4 sittin around.
    I bolted it up and it was very easy. The only thing different was setting up the tv cable. Besides that it is easy as cake, maybe a days work.

The most difficult part for me was getting the last two bolts from the tranny to the engine off.

Put the car in neutral and take off the drive shaft. I would suggest taking off the crossmember first, because you are going to have move the tranny at an angle to get the top two bolts off because it is so close to the fire wall. Make sure you have some kind of a jack sitting under the tranny, i used a reg. jack with a piece of plywood on it. I also had fl headers so i had to take them off too.
    To tell you the truth after the fact i found it easier to pull the whole engine with the tranny hooked up out and do the swap like that.

I know i am all over the place, but if you have any questions i am pretty sure i can answer them.

Oh yeah and if you do go with the 700 you have to get a new driveshaft. Or get yours cut i would say new though, go aluminum. I was going to buy one from denny's driveshaft but never did. So i took the tranny back off, i figured i would build the car the way i really want it a tt ls2 6spd 1st gen.
    The only problem is i am not swimming in money.
    It used to be my daily driver but because of what i want i have it sitting around, that is why i bought another camaro for my daily driver.

Sorry for the book

zero_proto
    thanks this is a long term goal for me. I will do it with the new moter(383)
    when I find $$$ a year or so.
    thanks for the info.

? best gear to go with a 700r
    I was thinking 355 or 372.(not a drag car nice daycruser only)

teal

depends on the gear setup in the tranny, i would just go with 3.73s
    I had those when in and driving around with the th350......not pretty on the freeway. But 3.73.s in a 700 is perfect.

My buddy was insane, he has 4.11s in his and he has a decked out to the limit 388, he has the pete jackson gears in it too..........makes it sound like it is supercharged. Even though it is not it sure feels like it.

teal

This is a picture of my baby. It is an old one, but the only pic i have at my disposal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    This is a picture of my baby. It is an old one, but the only pic i have at my disposal right now.
    Nice

zero_proto

I think the 3.73 would be my 1st choice if I already had the 700r but that will be a year or two. So with the t350 I think the 3.55 are better.???

teal

well i did the 3.73s with the th350....at 70 you are around 3grand.....
    It won't be a problem if you don't drive fast. I loved it because i was already in my powerband so a stomp on the gas and i was using my 400plus whp.
    If it is not your daily driver then do it, back then the 69 was my daily driver now i just drive my 99 around until i build up my 69 in a couple to a few years.

3 grand at 70 ?do you know what your tire dia is.

teal

i'm not sure of my tire diameter, that is also why i did not get the speedo gear for my 700-r4..... i have the 15x9 rally's with bf goodrich t/a radials. I'm going to work on my car this week so i will let you know then.
    How much are you looking at spending on a 700-r4?

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    i'm not sure of my tire diameter, that is also why i did not get the speedo gear for my 700-r4..... i have the 15x9 rally's with bf goodrich t/a radials. I'm going to work on my car this week so i will let you know then.
    How much are you looking at spending on a 700-r4?
    No idea But I will get a built one. !st I have to pay off a loan that I used to get the car. It will not be this year. Then it will be a 383 stoked crate motor and the 700r together.

Thread Information