Thread: 69 Stingray

69 Stingray

So... I'm fixing to head to Iraq for a year before the end of the year (hopefully) and while there I'll be saving up alot of cash. Basically when I come back I'm going to have 30+K to drop on a car of my choice and get it setup the way I want. One of the cars I'm debating on purchasing is a 69 Vette. I'm not very good with car type stuff (though I'm endevoring to learn) so my question is... how hard would it be to fix up a 69 vette that was in good condition? By fix up I mean bring up to about 450-500hp? If it had the classic engine in it would I have to pull it (sell it) and purchase a LS1 or some other engine to drop into it in order to crank out the kind of power I'm looking for? 450-500 is just my first goal I'm looking to stop at around 600 someday. Sorry if this is a completly uneducated post but I'm a car idiot Any advice would be appreciated.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

With that kind of money you can get a nice vette. Older motors are easy to work on and you can get that kind of hp easily with a rebuilt stock motor. especially if you buy a big block car.
    You can rebuild an older big block from 5-8k, and get to the 500 hp rateing real quick. It just all depends on you, your skill level, weather you want a completed car or project. Vettes get expensive. I've always had old novas, chevelles, and camaros. If I had that kinda money I would buy a already done 66 or 67 nova SS. look on ebay you can find a nice 400-500 hp tubed prostreet car that looks absolutely killer for that kinda dough.
    Just my 2cents worth
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Some of the things you have to watch for in the 69 is the body. Make sure there is no cracking in the fiberglass, the frame is good, etc.
    Suspension in the 60's was horrible, you may want to upgrade that as well.
    the engine compartment looks big, but is actually VERY tight. My buddy has a vette (82) and he can hardly get in there to change the plugs.

No matter what, you will spend some dough. but hey, you WILL have a 69, and they are nice.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Like the other guys were saying, you can easily get 450- 500 HP out of an older motor in the 69 vettes. But i personally like ur LS1 idea.

Thats what im doing with my 69 camaro, only im going lt1 not Ls1 because im a poor bastard. haha. But you can make just as much power with the newer engines, plus itll be drivable enough for a daily driver, not to mention the gas mileage will triple. But an LS1 swap wont be cheap, expect around 8 or 9 grand including cost of the engine.

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Kalithor View Post
    So... I'm fixing to head to Iraq for a year before the end of the year (hopefully) and while there I'll be saving up alot of cash. Basically when I come back I'm going to have 30+K to drop on a car of my choice and get it setup the way I want. One of the cars I'm debating on purchasing is a 69 Vette. I'm not very good with car type stuff (though I'm endevoring to learn) so my question is... how hard would it be to fix up a 69 vette that was in good condition? By fix up I mean bring up to about 450-500hp? If it had the classic engine in it would I have to pull it (sell it) and purchase a LS1 or some other engine to drop into it in order to crank out the kind of power I'm looking for? 450-500 is just my first goal I'm looking to stop at around 600 someday. Sorry if this is a completly uneducated post but I'm a car idiot Any advice would be appreciated.
    I would get a Chevy 427 block and put that into the 69 vette. Those are some seriously bad ass motors. I watched American Muscle Car on Speed about 4 days ago and they engine dynoed the most popular engines of the muscle car era ( Chevy 409, Ford 427, Hemi 426, Chevy 427, Pontiac 421) and the Hemi and the Chevy put out over 700 HP. And that was bone stock with no mods. So what I'm saying is spend that money on the vette, the 427 and get a suspension upgrade. You will have one SWEET 69 Vette with a bad ass motor that will move that Vette super quik.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    I would get a Chevy 427 block and put that into the 69 vette. Those are some seriously bad ass motors. I watched American Muscle Car on Speed about 4 days ago and they engine dynoed the most popular engines of the muscle car era ( Chevy 409, Ford 427, Hemi 426, Chevy 427, Pontiac 421) and the Hemi and the Chevy put out over 700 HP. And that was bone stock with no mods. So what I'm saying is spend that money on the vette, the 427 and get a suspension upgrade. You will have one SWEET 69 Vette with a bad ass motor that will move that Vette super quik.
    I agree, I had a 67 SS chevelle with a yenko tuned 427 motor and a muncie 4 speed with a 12 bolt 3.73 rear. My god the torque those motors put out!!!! Oh my I really really miss that car. Stupid ex-wife, I had to get rid of both of them!!!!!!

Even My 71 SS elcamino puts out well over 500HP out of a 402 Bigblock. Very torquey as well. Nothing beats cubic inches. It might take a second or to to get there but the torque they produce is just awesome.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 07-31-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Thread Information