Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

200-4Recommendations

The '85 Monte has a 200-4R that will be getting some attention soon. I brought the car home from Beaver Springs to change the fluids, rebuild the carb, and check everything over on the lift. The car has been running great and we drive it every chance we get, including making passes at the track. The transmission issues, that I know of, are all fairly minor:

1. The indicator needle in the dash cluster is out of place by about a half a detent.

2. The lock rod must be out of adjustment as I sometimes need to pull it into gear and back into park to remove the ignition key.

3. The shifter is a bit stubborn and it appears that the cable may have been replaced at some point.

4. All it wants to do is upshift unless you have your foot in it. The trans is on a mission to get to high gear as fast as it can and this is rather annoying.

Not sure if a valve body upgrade is recommended, and if so, what make? The car only has 54,000 miles on it and the fluid appears to be in good shape. I'll know more when I drop the pan and see what comes out. Not planning on a total rebuild, just trying to remedy these issues.

Thoughts?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Like you said, I would think nothing more than some small adjustments for the little issues. I've run both TCI and Cheetah valve bodies, and liked them both. You may be able to have the stock one cleaned up and tweaked slightly, if you want to remain stock. You might ask the guys at Performabuilt if they do that, or recommend someone who does.

Although.....you may want to build it bulletproof if Sammie is ever going to run it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sammie will eventually drive it at the track. It's a good car to take as all our friends (especially the non-car fanatics) can make passes in it and there's not a whole lot of concern about stuff breaking. Dan actually holds the fastest time slip for the Monte as of yet and that was with me in the passenger seat.

Have you adjusted the TV cable? Sounds like it may have stretched over the years, and can cause early shifts.

Great transmissions by the way. They have proven to be stout when built. Lonnie who runs Extreme Automatics back East was building them for tons of the Grand National guys with some dipping into the 8's with them. They also have a more desirable gear spread 1-2-3 than the 700 and more overdrive than the 700. The unibolt bell housing has made it a popular retro swap for the BOP guys.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is one thing I was going to also check. Thanks, FBJ.

Thread Information