Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

1985 Monte Carlo SS

This is a discussion on 1985 Monte Carlo SS within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Attempting to get the metal panel that supports the top of the front bumper cover out to paint it. Can't ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Attempting to get the metal panel that supports the top of the front bumper cover out to paint it. Can't see anything holding it other than the bolts and push pins... it no budge.

Ok -- using a mirror and a flashlight I found another bolt in the center of the panel that faces forward. I had to shove my hand through a small hole in the panel and use my mediocre contortionist skills to get it out. That was not fun at all.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 08-28-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Found the problem.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's using your noodle. And... I didn't know you were a contortionist

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That's using your noodle. And... I didn't know you were a contortionist

I was getting just a bit frustrated... had to Zen out and force my aged limbs to do things they were not intended to do. Putting it back together is going to be interesting.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Heh... I hear ya

Wait, it's not funny is it?

sapph. lt. blue metallic
    91 pontiac grand prix gt

[QUOTE=Smittro;2427074]<<<---------Which was 91 .. The trany was the Muncie Getrag 284.. The only 5spd that is capable of holding the TDC in any capacity, and the only 5spd it ever came bolted to.. You can literaly name almost ANY GM v8 and a Muncie 284 has been used beside them (see Fiero).. Everything from SBC's, BBC's, and many LSx's engines.. Some have used the Muncie 282 with success.. But they don't like being shifted over 6k.. Early TDC's pull through 7k.. They will still bolt just about anywhere a Northstar lives too.. Sorry for the thread jack..[QUOTE]

i have a question about this... are you saying any motor with the b-o-p bellhousing bolt pattern will fit on the 284? say a 1980 buick 231 v6 and a 91 grand prix 284 trans.... i didnt even know they had b-o-p bellhousings for the getrag/muncie 284 trans....

sorry for the off topic but i couldnt figure out how to send a private message...new here....
    Last edited by pajeff02; 09-06-2010 at 05:19 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

[quote=stonemason90;2437579][QUOTE=Smittro;2427074]<<<---------Which was 91 .. The trany was the Muncie Getrag 284.. The only 5spd that is capable of holding the TDC in any capacity, and the only 5spd it ever came bolted to.. You can literaly name almost ANY GM v8 and a Muncie 284 has been used beside them (see Fiero).. Everything from SBC's, BBC's, and many LSx's engines.. Some have used the Muncie 282 with success.. But they don't like being shifted over 6k.. Early TDC's pull through 7k.. They will still bolt just about anywhere a Northstar lives too.. Sorry for the thread jack..

i have a question about this... are you saying any motor with the b-o-p bellhousing bolt pattern will fit on the 284? say a 1980 buick 231 v6 and a 91 grand prix 284 trans.... i didnt even know they had b-o-p bellhousings for the getrag/muncie 284 trans....

sorry for the off topic but i couldnt figure out how to send a private message...new here....
    I don't know of b-o-p engine flanges.. They don't make a universal mount 284... You'd have to have a bell housing correction made depending on the engine in question. But the tranny will hold it they reutinely hold LS-x, northstar, SBC's, BBC's, and just about anything the 660 and 3800 v6 crowd can throw @ it... Getrag still rebuilds them.. Any 231 will bolt to it but you may need to change the crank..

Ps not all 3.8's were 231's Non of which should be confused with the 3.4l Twin Dual Cam 60* v6..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2010 at 06:10 AM.

sapph. lt. blue metallic
    91 pontiac grand prix gt

[quote=Smittro;2438547][quote=stonemason90;2437579]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    <<<---------Which was 91 .. The trany was the Muncie Getrag 284.. The only 5spd that is capable of holding the TDC in any capacity, and the only 5spd it ever came bolted to.. You can literaly name almost ANY GM v8 and a Muncie 284 has been used beside them (see Fiero).. Everything from SBC's, BBC's, and many LSx's engines.. Some have used the Muncie 282 with success.. But they don't like being shifted over 6k.. Early TDC's pull through 7k.. They will still bolt just about anywhere a Northstar lives too.. Sorry for the thread jack..

I don't know of b-o-p engine flanges.. They don't make a universal mount 284... You'd have to have a bell housing correction made depending on the engine in question. But the tranny will hold it they reutinely hold LS-x, northstar, SBC's, BBC's, and just about anything the 660 and 3800 v6 crowd can throw @ it... Getrag still rebuilds them.. Any 231 will bolt to it but you may need to change the crank..

Ps not all 3.8's were 231's Non of which should be confused with the 3.4l Twin Dual Cam 60* v6..
    The b-o-p flange is the generic flange for all v8 engines. The motor in question is in fact a 231 its a pre fuel injection motor. Its a cast iron, carbbed, distributed motor. The way you know its a 231 is the b-o-p bellhousing bolt pattern which it has. the car is fwd. with a 60* flange on it. the stock motor is a 3.1 mpfi motor....

Do they make bellhousings to fit the v8 bolt pattern?... I guess thats my question...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

[quote=stonemason90;2439020][quote=Smittro;2438547]
    Quote Originally Posted by stonemason90 View Post

The b-o-p flange is the generic flange for all v8 engines. The motor in question is in fact a 231 its a pre fuel injection motor. Its a cast iron, carbbed, distributed motor. The way you know its a 231 is the b-o-p bellhousing bolt pattern which it has. the car is fwd. with a 60* flange on it. the stock motor is a 3.1 mpfi motor....

Do they make bellhousings to fit the v8 bolt pattern?... I guess thats my question...
    Yes, they do.. Best bet would be to try the Fiero forums.. The "pre injection" 231's had internal block webbing issues.. Just tossing that out there..

Sorry Jeff...
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.

sapph. lt. blue metallic
    91 pontiac grand prix gt

[quote=Smittro;2439348][quote=stonemason90;2439020]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Yes, they do.. Best bet would be to try the Fiero forums.. The "pre injection" 231's had internal block webbing issues.. Just tossing that out there..

Sorry Jeff...
    ok thanks..... and sorry again for the off topic....

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The Monte may have a bad heater core. We took it up to the show today and I could smell a little coolant. I just checked the hose clamps before we left as I completely serviced the system and installed all new hoses a few weeks ago. It's wet right at the heater box where the tubes go through the foam seal. Had just a small puddle under the car after we stopped to pick Sammie up on the way home.

Ya sometimes that happens on cars that sit alot and then get brought back out of retirement. Easy cheap fix though.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah the heater core comes out from under the hood on these cars. Not a hard job....

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Haven't really looked at it yet to see how it comes out. Will the fact that it has AC complicate matters?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Haven't really looked at it yet to see how it comes out. Will the fact that it has AC complicate matters?
    Haven't done a heater core on this car in so long, but I don't think the AC has to be opened to change the heater core. I remember the job being pretty easy, compared to some "take the steering column out, then proceed to remove then center console, then the whole dash, in pieces, out."

Undercover Tortoise

Inspired

This thread has re-made a lost love I've had for Monte Carlo's. I had an '87 LS with a 350 out of a 79 Camaro as my first car and forgot all about them. I've got a line on a 60's 327 for $500 in perfect shape (gotta love hookups and friends) and have been wondering what to drop it into for a cruiser. Definitely looking at an SS Monte because of this. Thanks a lot and I'll be checking in on how this car goes! Good luck!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    This thread has re-made a lost love I've had for Monte Carlo's. I had an '87 LS with a 350 out of a 79 Camaro as my first car and forgot all about them. I've got a line on a 60's 327 for $500 in perfect shape (gotta love hookups and friends) and have been wondering what to drop it into for a cruiser. Definitely looking at an SS Monte because of this. Thanks a lot and I'll be checking in on how this car goes! Good luck!

Always liked these cars... just waited twenty-some years to buy one. Saw quite a few for sale at Fall Carlisle recently.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    A high revving 327 would be a very nice upgrade over the 5.5K (tops!) rpm of the OE motor.

And a Monte LS, with an engine like that, would be a sleeper.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Back to wrenching on the Monte again today. The last few times we drove it, I could smell coolant but was not able to find a leak. I had flushed the cooling system and changed out the thermostat and all the hoses not too long ago so I knew they were not the problem. I drove up to my parents' house with it and she suddenly dumped coolant in the driveway -- leak located! The heater core had finally leaked enough that it spilled out the drain hole and also dampened the foam seal that covers the inlet and outlet.

Removal was a bit of a chore as you have to take off a couple of parts to access the complete cover. Once the bolts are out, the hardened sealant around the perimeter of the cover was also challenging. Everything is now apart and the replacement matches up perfectly. I'll clean it all up good as new and do a little restoration of a few things while I am at it.

Last edited by pajeff02; 11-28-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Grammar

That's cool. Just little things that happen on an older car. Once you get through everything I'm sure it'll provide years of trouble free fun.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stuff like this doesn't bother me on an older car. I'd be more worried if something didn't go wrong after getting it back on the road. It'll be a couple of years before we do a full restoration, in the meantime I'll just pluck away at a few things that need attention.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information