Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

1985 Monte Carlo SS

This is a discussion on 1985 Monte Carlo SS within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 Stripped the front brakes and rotors off this evening. I'm going to replace the brake hoses ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Stripped the front brakes and rotors off this evening. I'm going to replace the brake hoses and pads and flush out all the old fluid. Since it is 25 years old, I am also going to clean and re-pack the front bearings and replace the wheel seals. So far, everything is coming apart nicely with no unnecessary carnage. A little tired tonight, so I had a "duh" moment removing the calipers. I unbolted the pins, but the top one would only come out so far before hitting the frame. Took me a minute for it to click -- turn the wheels. Now there's plenty of room for the pin to come out. Sometimes I am glad there is no one in my garage watching me...

Click for full size

The outer wheel bearings felt funny to me when I removed them. After wiping them off, I realized they have the plastic cages for the rollers. Haven't run into these in quite a while.

Click for full size
    I have'nt seen that in a while either.. I think the replacements are metal.iirc

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as everything looks good, any reason not to re-install them?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

As long as everything looks good, any reason not to re-install them?
    I would'nt think so.. If the rollers look good and the races are good I'd pack them and stick them back in.. I was just kinda mentioning it is all. My bad..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would'nt think so.. If the rollers look good and the races are good I'd stick them back in.. I was just kinda mentioning it is all. My bad..

Not at all. I was kind of wondering if I should replace them as you just don't see these anymore. Of course, all the wheel bearings now are sealed and can't be serviced like in the days of old.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Spent the afternoon cleaning and re-packing the front bearings. What a messy job that is. My parts washer is out of service for an upgrade so I ended up cleaning the bearings the old fashioned way -- a small bucket of gasoline works quite nicely. Going to re-install the calipers with new pads and replace the hoses next.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like fun

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Sounds like fun

My daughter happened to come out in the garage while I was packing the hub and inner bearing with grease. She took one look at my hands and went, "Eeeeeewwwwwwww!"

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My daughter happened to come out in the garage while I was packing the hub and inner bearing with grease. She took one look at my hands and went, "Eeeeeewwwwwwww!"
    You mean she didn't want to help olé Dad out?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    You mean she didn't want to help olé Dad out?

After a few minutes of watching, she did ask, "Can I do that?"

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

After a few minutes of watching, she did ask, "Can I do that?"
    That's how it all starts

Little girls like helping Daddy in the garage too. I remember it well

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The new front brake hoses are on, the brakes are bled out, I cleaned and painted the lug nuts and applied the new decals on the centercaps. After draining the cooling system and refilling it for flushing I was finally able to take it for a ride last night. While doing the final brake bleed my brother noticed that the brake lights were not coming on all the time. I picked up a new switch today and will get it in tomorrow so I can drive the car some more with the chemical flush in the system. I also pulled the blower motor and have that cleaned up and painted -- it had a mouse nest on it at one point in time and was pretty nasty looking. Once I get the cooling system up to par, all I need to do is replace the valve cover gaskets and see if I can get the AC working. That will probably be it for this year on the Monte. Should have several weeks to enjoy it before the weather turns.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

check out the new led lights for the rear lights it looks cool. i thought about it. but couldn't justicfiy the cash right now.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    check out the new led lights for the rear lights it looks cool. i thought about it. but couldn't justicfiy the cash right now.

They do look sharp... but not so sure about on an older car. Other than the Trans Am, I am old school at heart. While I have you back in here, the front bumper cover split on the passenger side. Must just be its age as we have not hit anything and there is no evidence of pre-existing damage. Did you say you have a cover for sale? Also, like Zapper there was a "debil mouse" at work on this car. The wiring to the HVAC blower motor has been stripped of its insulation. I wouldn't mind a set of replacement plugs that I can splice in where it will be hidden in the wire loom.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

They do look sharp... but not so sure about on an older car. Other than the Trans Am, I am old school at heart. While I have you back in here, the front bumper cover split on the passenger side. Must just be its age as we have not hit anything and there is no evidence of pre-existing damage. Did you say you have a cover for sale? Also, like Zapper there was a "debil mouse" at work on this car. The wiring to the HVAC blower motor has been stripped of its insulation. I wouldn't mind a set of replacement plugs that I can splice in where it will be hidden in the wire loom.
    Not to thread jack.. But them stupid chipmunks will do that sheet too.. Except they will fill the air cleaner houseing full of acorns (and any other crevas) first, then snack on your wire insullation, and anything else made of rubber or plastic..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-20-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Not to thread jack.. But them stupid chipmunks will do that sheet too.. Except they will fill the air cleaner houseing full of acorns (and any other crevas) first, then snack on your wire insullation, and anything else made of rubber or plastic..

Fortunately, it appeared to be limited to the area on top of the heater box. Before buying the car, I pulled the air cleaner assembly to make sure it wasn't full of the same and that the carb had not been corroded from mouse piss.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Fortunately, it appeared to be limited to the area on top of the heater box. Before buying the car, I pulled the air cleaner assembly to make sure it wasn't full of the same and that the carb had not been corroded from mouse piss.
    Yeah I guess everyone needs a home.. But few creatures do as much damage to things as rodents..

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have the whole cover with the chin with the headlights, buckets ect the whole front is there i think there is a small puncture in it. nothing that could be fixed. there is a place called keystone that makes very very good aftermarket ones.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All the ancillary parts are in great shape. The chin spoiler is just about perfect -- which really surprised me. I could probably repair this one, but my experience has been that once they start to crack it is probably a waste of time.

Nice find Jeff. I hate to be the one to break it to ya,,,but you bought another car with a dreaded 7.5" 10 bolt.

All the G bodies throughout the 80's got 7.5's with one exception,,,,,Only the Grand Nationals got the 8.5 inch 10 bolts.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nice find Jeff. I hate to be the one to break it to ya,,,but you bought another car with a dreaded 7.5" 10 bolt.

All the G bodies throughout the 80's got 7.5's with one exception,,,,,Only the Grand Nationals got the 8.5 inch 10 bolts.

The good news is it has a fairly asthmatic 305, so little chance of tearing it up. This will simply be a pleasure driver and will not likely see any track duty.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information