Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

1985 Monte Carlo SS

This is a discussion on 1985 Monte Carlo SS within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 Tempting... but the next purchase will be to make the T/A go faster down the track. ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Tempting... but the next purchase will be to make the T/A go faster down the track.

Here's a Monte Q for you -- the air pump has a hose assembly that runs to the air cleaner. It looks like there should be a filter at the end of the hose, similar to the PCV setup. All I have is a square plastic cage with nothing in it. No luck looking it up at the local Chinazone either.
    look up fram ba 19, just throwing out ideas

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    look up fram ba 19, just throwing out ideas

Close -- that is what attaches to the PCV hose. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow.

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

it could be an 8.5 but most came with a 7.5 like the camaros and s 10's

I have an 1986 monte carlo ss with a 502 turbo 400 and a 12 bolt rear

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider095 View Post
    it could be an 8.5 but most came with a 7.5 like the camaros and s 10's

I have an 1986 monte carlo ss with a 502 turbo 400 and a 12 bolt rear

Nice! Add some pics to our Classic Muscle sticky, please.

silver
    1985 El Camino

pajeff02
    I was searching the web for hard emission tubing and came across your thread. You engine is the same as in my 1985 El Camino . . . exactly. I am toward the end of replacing the 305 with a 350.

Your photo of the right side in the post dated 12-02-10 shows a wire that I am looking for in my engine. I recognize the wire going to the O2 sensor. I need to positively identify the wire next to it that goes under the exhaust manifold. I believe this goes to the temp sensor on the block, correct? What color is that wire? It is hard to tell from the photo, where does the wire originate from? Can you describe its routing, or post a photo. By the way . . . your photos are excellent. You can see some of my photos on photobucket: http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/zoomer_56/
    thanks.

nice find jeff,

I just ran across a pair of SS montes myself.
    one is an 84 blue, was a drive parked about 8-10 years in a chicken house.
    other is a silver 85 that struck a dear taking out the right side grill and fender, the hood went missing somewhere along the way, but a piece of ply wood went back in it's place.

I am thinking of piecing to 84 together for a daily driver, and the silver 85 would look nice with that spare 454 sitting the garage.

not has nice as your but then again I only gave 500 for the pair.

but also have 68 post chevelle trying to get buttoned up , a 57 wagon waiting to be put together, plus a racecar , and the 00SS needs some attention to........oh and I am rehabing a house so I can move in by march

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MR.Y2KSS View Post
    nice find jeff,

I just ran across a pair of SS montes myself.
    one is an 84 blue, was a drive parked about 8-10 years in a chicken house.
    other is a silver 85 that struck a dear taking out the right side grill and fender, the hood went missing somewhere along the way, but a piece of ply wood went back in it's place.

I am thinking of piecing to 84 together for a daily driver, and the silver 85 would look nice with that spare 454 sitting the garage.

not has nice as your but then again I only gave 500 for the pair.

but also have 68 post chevelle trying to get buttoned up , a 57 wagon waiting to be put together, plus a racecar , and the 00SS needs some attention to........oh and I am rehabing a house so I can move in by march

You sound like me -- no shortage of projects! I really like the way the Monte runs and drives. It is like going back in time whenever I get behind the wheel. Post some pics of the Montes, the '68 and '57 in our Classic Muscle sticky... I prefer "work in progress" pics.

the guy with the montes agreed to let keep em in the chicken house til I move and have a place to put them, 57 wagon is stashed at my dads on a trailer til I move, chevelle was at my work , til about mid dec, then I brought it home to start putting the engine in and getting it back together.
    I'll post some pics soon.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer56 View Post
    pajeff02
    I was searching the web for hard emission tubing and came across your thread. You engine is the same as in my 1985 El Camino . . . exactly. I am toward the end of replacing the 305 with a 350.

Your photo of the right side in the post dated 12-02-10 shows a wire that I am looking for in my engine. I recognize the wire going to the O2 sensor. I need to positively identify the wire next to it that goes under the exhaust manifold. I believe this goes to the temp sensor on the block, correct? What color is that wire? It is hard to tell from the photo, where does the wire originate from? Can you describe its routing, or post a photo. By the way . . . your photos are excellent. You can see some of my photos on photobucket: http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/zoomer_56/
    thanks.

Ooops. I somehow missed seeing this post. You are correct, the wire runs down to the temperature sender on the side of the block. I am fairly certain that is what it was. The only other possibility would be an oil pressure sender. The car is garaged about 2 hours away from me right now, so I can't check the wire color. I do have the factory service manual here though -- let me know if you still need assistance.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's a question to ponder: The Monte has a 200-R4 with a console mounted shifter and it just has too much resistance. The shift cable appears to have been replaced at some point from what I can see beneath the car. I have not unhooked it from the transmission, but absent the cable being kinked or accidentally pinched somewhere, what could make it so hard to shift?

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Here's a question to ponder: The Monte has a 200-R4 with a console mounted shifter and it just has too much resistance. The shift cable appears to have been replaced at some point from what I can see beneath the car. I have not unhooked it from the transmission, but absent the cable being kinked or accidentally pinched somewhere, what could make it so hard to shift?
    i had this problem on mine after i swapped to a 700. i had the two bolts that go on the the trans pan one to far back. i couldn't get it to stay in low/1st gear. it would pop out. so i move them forward one and it was fine. if you are having that much treouble let me know i'm sure i have an extra shifter with the cable or two. i have one for a 350 trans if need also.
    the is a pin/ cotter pin i believe on the shifter also. check that it maybe bent backwards.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i had this problem on mine after i swapped to a 700. i had the two bolts that go on the the trans pan one to far back. i couldn't get it to stay in low/1st gear. it would pop out. so i move them forward one and it was fine. if you are having that much treouble let me know i'm sure i have an extra shifter with the cable or two. i have one for a 350 trans if need also.
    the is a pin/ cotter pin i believe on the shifter also. check that it maybe bent backwards.

Thanks! I don't think I ever pulled it back into 1st, so I have no idea if that is also a problem. I have the service manual so I can check to make sure the mounting point is correct.

Is the nose that you have just the urethane piece, or complete with the bumper and structural supports? We're taking a run out to Summit sometime soon and you can't be too far from there is my guess.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Thanks! I don't think I ever pulled it back into 1st, so I have no idea if that is also a problem. I have the service manual so I can check to make sure the mounting point is correct.

Is the nose that you have just the urethane piece, or complete with the bumper and structural supports? We're taking a run out to Summit sometime soon and you can't be too far from there is my guess.
    it's the whole bumper with lights and the cover and the chin strap. i may keep the chin strap but the rest is for sale. i'm about 45 mins north of summit. it's at my dads house.

i went back and looked at your pics on the first page. i think the mounts/bracket is in the right spot

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

it's the whole bumper with lights and the cover and the chin strap. i may keep the chin strap but the rest is for sale. i'm about 45 mins north of summit. it's at my dads house.

i went back and looked at your pics on the first page. i think the mounts/bracket is in the right spot

Hmmm. More than I need. The cover split on the passenger corner all by itself. I don't see any impact damage and it definitely happened sometime after we bought the car. Usually, once they start to break it is all downhill from there.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Hmmm. More than I need. The cover split on the passenger corner all by itself. I don't see any impact damage and it definitely happened sometime after we bought the car. Usually, once they start to break it is all downhill from there.
    yeah the cover are about 400 plus shipping new. without the bottom. these are easy to fix though any body shop can fix then. mine has a half moon slice in it. tape behind it and a little filler it is good to go.
    let emknow when you come up if you want you can have those olds rims. they will need to be cleaned up and painted but for free you cant go wrong.
    i have 3 or 4 of them.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

yeah the cover are about 400 plus shipping new. without the bottom. these are easy to fix though any body shop can fix then. mine has a half moon slice in it. tape behind it and a little filler it is good to go.
    let emknow when you come up if you want you can have those olds rims. they will need to be cleaned up and painted but for free you cant go wrong.
    i have 3 or 4 of them.

Where it split it kind of peeled outward -- probably not an easy fix. Fortunately, my brother-in-law has a body shop and is very particular about his work. Shoot me a PM with your phone number sometime and I'll let you know when we're heading in your direction.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Where it split it kind of peeled outward -- probably not an easy fix. Fortunately, my brother-in-law has a body shop and is very particular about his work. Shoot me a PM with your phone number sometime and I'll let you know when we're heading in your direction.
    ok will do mine on my 87 is split on the corner next to the light where it goes from top to bottom on the corner if that makes sense. i got the car like that. if all goes well i'mm be puttimng some good time in on it this year.

nice project jeff.....i miss my 87 MCSS

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    nice project jeff.....i miss my 87 MCSS

Thanks. Looking forward to posting some 15 second time slips with it in a few months. I think we are going to have Sammie drive it in the Teen Challenge Series at the track.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

This car should be pretty consistent.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information