Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 316
Like Tree7Likes

1985 Monte Carlo SS

This is a discussion on 1985 Monte Carlo SS within the Classic Muscle forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Before putting the cover back on the HVAC box and reconnecting the heater hoses, I started on replacing the valve ...

  1. #181
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Before putting the cover back on the HVAC box and reconnecting the heater hoses, I started on replacing the valve cover gaskets this evening. Somewhere under all this spaghetti there actually is a valve cover:





    It took quite a bit of time, and I think I snapped every plastic vacuum line I touched, but it finally came off. The plastic stuff is just a bit "crispy" from both age and exposure to underhood heat. I bought a roll of tubing from the local Autozone to replace everything I broke. Anyone know if the tubing just presses into the rubber elbows, or is it glued or chemically bonded?





    The moment of truth -- after pulling the valve cover I flipped it over to see how crudded up the engine is. Not bad at all for a 25 year old car:



  2. #182
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Cover looks nice and clean inside.

    The plastic lines just push into the rubber elbows. Piece of cake.

  3. #183
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Cover looks nice and clean inside.

    The plastic lines just push into the rubber elbows. Piece of cake.

    Thanks, FBJ. I assumed they did, but was not sure as I have never had to replace one before. I assume it will be interesting trying to extract the old tubing from the ones that broke off flush.

  4. #184
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    24
    Undercover Tortoise

    I'll tell you one thing I never missed about these cars was the choking vacuum lines all over the place. Always drove me insane. Glad to see you're getting a little work done on it!

    I'm probably going to try to find one of these at the next Carlisle event or Good Guys show in my area to find my next project. Not easy finding one that doesn't have a rotted out frame.



    Too Fast - It seems easier to find an SS over an LS these days. I type Monte Carlo and find one LS to twenty SS's.

  5. #185
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Looks real good under there Jeff.. I can tell you the engine in my 01 had the same honey brown color when I pulled the intakes off last winter. Looks like @ least someone was changing the oil pretty regularly too me.. Least from what I can see there valve train looks wet instead of a clayed look.. Definelty getting fresh oil up there..

    I tell ya though, I totaly had forgotten what smoggers looked like under the hood.. Been years.. All that extra stuff they used to stick to engines back then.. So many potential leaks amazing those engines even ran..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  6. #186
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    I'll tell you one thing I never missed about these cars was the choking vacuum lines all over the place. Always drove me insane. Glad to see you're getting a little work done on it!

    I'm probably going to try to find one of these at the next Carlisle event or Good Guys show in my area to find my next project. Not easy finding one that doesn't have a rotted out frame.



    Too Fast - It seems easier to find an SS over an LS these days. I type Monte Carlo and find one LS to twenty SS's.
    I wonder if it is the same fate that the 1st gen Camaros have, there are more SS/RS cars on the market then were made LOL. Anyway, I've always loved the looks of these Monte SS's. My wife likes the 1st gen ones tho, with 454s.

  7. #187
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    There was actually a fairly good selection of Monte Carlos, Hurst Olds, and Buick GN cars at Carlisle this year. Unfortunately, some of the more solid cars had been poorly modded into someone's distorted vision of coolness. Very sad to see.

    The passenger side valve cover is back in place and I am working on hooking everything back up. Need to get a few more feet of the hard emission tubing to finish that side off before moving to the driver side cover. I also replaced the fuel filter since it was easily accessible with all the other stuff unhooked.

  8. #188
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    24
    Undercover Tortoise

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I wonder if it is the same fate that the 1st gen Camaros have, there are more SS/RS cars on the market then were made LOL. Anyway, I've always loved the looks of these Monte SS's. My wife likes the 1st gen ones tho, with 454s.
    You mean the one where even the Merlin 632 looks too small for it's engine bay? Seems like the Cadillac 16 cylinder concept engine is the only thing that could somewhat fill it up.



    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    There was actually a fairly good selection of Monte Carlos, Hurst Olds, and Buick GN cars at Carlisle this year. Unfortunately, some of the more solid cars had been poorly modded into someone's distorted vision of coolness. Very sad to see.

    The passenger side valve cover is back in place and I am working on hooking everything back up. Need to get a few more feet of the hard emission tubing to finish that side off before moving to the driver side cover. I also replaced the fuel filter since it was easily accessible with all the other stuff unhooked.

    I was in Daytona Beach a little over a month ago during bike week. I saw a Monte Carlo lifted up with wheels on it that couldn't fit on a semi. Sorry to say that when you say "someone's distorted vision of coolness" is probably nothing compared to that.

    Hopefully next year I'll be able to find a good one to play around with. I'm actually considering a 64-65 Malibu for the engine as well. I found a few decent ones with good prices in just a few minutes unlike just about every other car that age.

    Good to know your getting a good amount of work done on this car. You obviously have a lot of patience dealing with all that tubing. What else is on the block to do?

  9. #189
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I'll change the oil and then park the car for the winter. Right now I am devoted to getting as much done on our W-31 as I can between now and spring.

  10. #190
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Looks real good under there Jeff.. I can tell you the engine in my 01 had the same honey brown color when I pulled the intakes off last winter. Looks like @ least someone was changing the oil pretty regularly too me.. Least from what I can see there valve train looks wet instead of a clayed look.. Definelty getting fresh oil up there..

    I tell ya though, I totaly had forgotten what smoggers looked like under the hood.. Been years.. All that extra stuff they used to stick to engines back then.. So many potential leaks amazing those engines even ran..
    they didn't run to their potential from the factory for sure

  11. #191
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Moved on to the driver side this evening. Much more room to work than on the passenger side. I had to remove the vacuum feed to the brake booster and unbolt the A/C compressor to extract the cover. I'll replace a few more vacuum lines while I am at it and do a little clean up.






  12. #192
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    How bad was the air injection tubing in the way? I remember some cars I had to "massage" that spider out of the way with a prybar to get the covers off since usually they don't come out of the manifold in one piece.

  13. #193
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    How bad was the air injection tubing in the way? I remember some cars I had to "massage" that spider out of the way with a prybar to get the covers off since usually they don't come out of the manifold in one piece.

    I had to lightly pull the passenger side assembly away from the valve cover and zip tie it to the A/C dryer. The driver side, I moved back by hand just a touch as I lifted the valve cover off the head.

  14. #194
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    common sense of course, but use some pb blaster or pentrating oil on the air injection threads days in advance should you have to take the spider out. If the nuts don't round, the manifolds crack easily

  15. #195
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    common sense of course, but use some pb blaster or pentrating oil on the air injection threads days in advance should you have to take the spider out. If the nuts don't round, the manifolds crack easily

    That would just be an easy excuse to install headers and delete the air pump.

  16. #196
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    indeed
    didn't know if you were keeping it original. bolt ons and emissions delete with rejet would be nice

  17. #197
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That would just be an easy excuse to install headers and delete the air pump.
    i have a brand new set if interested. lol

  18. #198
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have a brand new set if interested. lol

    Tempting... but the next purchase will be to make the T/A go faster down the track.


    Here's a Monte Q for you -- the air pump has a hose assembly that runs to the air cleaner. It looks like there should be a filter at the end of the hose, similar to the PCV setup. All I have is a square plastic cage with nothing in it. No luck looking it up at the local Chinazone either.

  19. #199
    your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    11,376

    trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Tempting... but the next purchase will be to make the T/A go faster down the track.


    Here's a Monte Q for you -- the air pump has a hose assembly that runs to the air cleaner. It looks like there should be a filter at the end of the hose, similar to the PCV setup. All I have is a square plastic cage with nothing in it. No luck looking it up at the local Chinazone either.
    on the air clean there should be a little rectangle air cleaner/ breather attached maybe 2 inch by 4 inch or so. if i get to my dad i'll see if i have an extra. i have 2 or 3 air cleaner set ups. if it's there it's yours.

  20. #200
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    on the air clean there should be a little rectangle air cleaner/ breather attached maybe 2 inch by 4 inch or so. if i get to my dad i'll see if i have an extra. i have 2 or 3 air cleaner set ups. if it's there it's yours.

    I have the little rectangle, just nothing inside it and I couldn't come up with a part number (or name) at the store this morning. Thanks!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: 1985 Monte Carlo SS
    By rdnkwmn24 in forum Classic Muscle
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 06:47 AM
  2. 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo - CHP Rides
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
  3. 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Mighty Monte
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 05:00 AM
  4. 82 Monte Carlo
    By Raoul-Duke in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 12:35 PM
  5. 1985 Monte Carlo SS FOR SALE!
    By 8bangerboy in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •