Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

yet ANOTHER cam thread

This is a discussion on yet ANOTHER cam thread within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by mark21742 damit lol guess I'll have to go back and do a bunch of reading again......it not ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    damit lol guess I'll have to go back and do a bunch of reading again......it not the first or last time I've been wrong lol
    It's cool man I wasn't saying you were wrong, the context was correct just reversed.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    It's cool man I wasn't saying you were wrong, the context was correct just reversed.
    I wanted to do my research before doing my cam and heads, but I swear I had no clue how indepth all the theory is and how much of a difference a small change here or there makes.....lol I swear the more I read the more confused I got

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

"...the lower LSA can also mean more power and you get it sooner in the RPM range to boot".. this is from ls1howto.com. I also heard the same thing from a tech at TSP. So can we conclude that a lower LSA will abruptly produce more total power in the midrange and a higher LSA will smoothly produce a little less total power throughout the rpm range?

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28LS1 View Post
    "...the lower LSA can also mean more power and you get it sooner in the RPM range to boot".. this is from ls1howto.com. I also heard the same thing from a tech at TSP. So can we conclude that a lower LSA will abruptly produce more total power in the midrange and a higher LSA will smoothly produce a little less total power throughout the rpm range?
    everything i have read told me that a tighter LSA will make higher peak power higher in the RPM range.
    My car is a DD so id want a smoother power curve. what i really want to know is, will 2 or 4 degrees of LSA make a noticeable difference in anything besides the choppiness of the idle?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    everything i have read told me that a tighter LSA will make higher peak power higher in the RPM range.
    My car is a DD so id want a smoother power curve. what i really want to know is, will 2 or 4 degrees of LSA make a noticeable difference in anything besides the choppiness of the idle?
    depending on the grind, I believe it can vary slightly but I had thought that lower lsa meant it bumped the powerband upward...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...cam-guide.html

Look at post 2 section C: Lobe Separation Angle and it's about halfway through section C. I've spent hours reading and re-reading this and it still confuses the shit outta me

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    2 degrees (112 vs 114) will make a slight difference in idle and in power while a 4 degree difference (110 vs 114) will make a dramatic difference in idle and power. All other things being equal of coarse.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    depending on the grind, I believe it can vary slightly but I had thought that lower lsa meant it bumped the powerband upward...

Look at post 2 section C: Lobe Separation Angle and it's about halfway through section C. I've spent hours reading and re-reading this and it still confuses the shit outta me
    ive also read it 100x before posting this thread.

"- Reducing overlap on a long-duration cam will often increase midrange torque at the expense of peak power, but if the average torque improves, thats probably a change worth making."

this is what im really asking about.

hugger orange

don't feel bad your not the only one

Red
    2001 Trash Can

don't feel bad your not the only one
    How hard do ya think it would be to re-degree my cam now that it's in the motor and the heads are on...? I'm thinking about doing it before I run down to VA and have my car tuned just to make sure it's right where it needs to be. I guess I'll just need to pull the front cover again(obviously accessories and rad) and set up the degree wheel on the cam, but where would I put the dial indicator, on the head?

hugger orange

How hard do ya think it would be to re-degree my cam now that it's in the motor and the heads are on...? I'm thinking about doing it before I run down to VA and have my car tuned just to make sure it's right where it needs to be. I guess I'll just need to pull the front cover again(obviously accessories and rad) and set up the degree wheel on the cam, but where would I put the dial indicator, on the head?
    we used a magnetic one and had it sitting on a bracket that bolts to the front of the head.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

we used a magnetic one and had it sitting on a bracket that bolts to the front of the head.
    so just a few hours of work then? I just need a degreeing kit now haha

hugger orange

so just a few hours of work then? I just need a degreeing kit now haha
    I can't remember the actual sizes, but get the small wheel for degreeing the cam in the car.
    if you have a stock timing gear, I'd just leave it strait up, but if you have an adjustable gear then I'd check and adjust it.
    I can't remember off hand how many degrees a tooth on a stock gear is worth, but I Think its 4s

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I can't remember the actual sizes, but get the small wheel for degreeing the cam in the car.
    if you have a stock timing gear, I'd just leave it strait up, but if you have an adjustable gear then I'd check and adjust it.
    I can't remember off hand how many degrees a tooth on a stock gear is worth, but I Think its 4s
    yea I have the stock gear...I lined the gears up dot to dot and hung a plum bob down to make sure they were dead nuts, but I still just kinda wanna make sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information