Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes, this is about Cams

This is a discussion on Yes, this is about Cams within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK Yes its true an A4 will eat up more of your power before it ...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Yes its true an A4 will eat up more of your power before it gets to the ground. Like said before a 224 would be a great DD cam. However you wont see the gains you want without getting a stall as well. I am alos looking to getting a DD cam. I myself have an A4 but since im away for school right now i've just been ordering mods as fast as money will allow me to. I've been in a couple cars with cams and no stall and it sucks. So far I have my LT's, H pipe, 2 cut outs, 8 ft of piping, 3000 stall, and more to come.
    How well does your 3000 stall work? is there much lag before the car starts to take off?

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Sorry I dont know its all sitting in the garge with the car im 2,000 miles away

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Sorry I dont know its all sitting in the garge with the car im 2,000 miles away
    ....suck.

haha its cool man. I've been doing the same thing as you. I'm in college myself, so Its been a gradual work in progress. Ive collected the Patriot Heads and some Flowtech long tubes w/ 3" ORY.

The cam I'm getting custom ground to any specs I want (224r) and the gears I'm purchasing on build day as well. The Performance shop that I'm having build it had me put a $1000 down payment on the work. Now I owe 1650 plus cost of the fore-mentioned parts (Cam+Gears)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think you have a misunderstanding of how a stall works or feels. 3500 rpm doesn't mean that it takes that much to get the car moving. My loose 3500 starts moving by 1000 rpm or less probably. At the track when I was using the foot brake the car would start pushing through the brakes ~2200 rpm. Ever drove a car with a slipping trans? That's kinda how it feels. The car moves like it normally would but takes a little more rpm. Once the stall locks up such as on the freeway it acts exactly like your stocker.
    Where you gain at from a stall is it gets you into the sweet part of your rpm band quicker and keeps you there with "shift extension". Know how your rpms drop way down right after a shift? Doesn't happen with a higher stall....they stay up in the sweet spot.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think you have a misunderstanding of how a stall works or feels. 3500 rpm doesn't mean that it takes that much to get the car moving. My loose 3500 starts moving by 1000 rpm or less probably. At the track when I was using the foot brake the car would start pushing through the brakes ~2200 rpm. Ever drove a car with a slipping trans? That's kinda how it feels. The car moves like it normally would but takes a little more rpm. Once the stall locks up such as on the freeway it acts exactly like your stocker.
    Where you gain at from a stall is it gets you into the sweet part of your rpm band quicker and keeps you there with "shift extension". Know how your rpms drop way down right after a shift? Doesn't happen with a higher stall....they stay up in the sweet spot.
    lol I think I said that in one of my posts, that I didn't quite know how they work.

I got on the Yank Website and for a Head/Cam(215-230) setup it looks like the recommend a SS3600.

I was thinking about going with a ST3000 that I found for $300.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information