Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Yes, this is about Cams

224R cam is the cam in question. I'm also doing Long tubes, 3" ORY, Patriot Stage 2.5 Heads w/ clean up mill, and upgrade to 3.42 gears from the 3.23. the heads are ported and polished w/dual valve springs and titanium retainers, etc.

Is this a good cam to go with since its my Daily Driver and I'm staying with my stock stall converter for awhile?

Whats some numbers for guys with a similar set up?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Its a good cam. Personally, I would go with a 228ish cam. Daily driving it would be no problem imo. Its all about the tune. There are quite a few dyno graphs with a brief mod run down list found here. It might help you out.

Edit: didn't see your wanting to stay with a stock stall. I don't think I would even run a 224 with stock stall. Frost (tuner here) once said he wouldn't even attempt tuning a car if it was on stock stall. Granted, I don't remember what size cam he was referring to.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127350
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 01-05-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

TSP 228R
    On a 113 or 114 if you are daily driving it.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Its a good cam. Personally, I would go with a 228ish cam. Daily driving it would be no problem imo. Its all about the tune. There are quite a few dyno graphs with a brief mod run down list found here. It might help you out.

Edit: didn't see your wanting to stay with a stock stall. I don't think I would even run a 224 with stock stall. Frost (tuner here) once said he wouldn't even attempt tuning a car if it was on stock stall. Granted, I don't remember what size cam he was referring to.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127350
    That is definitely a helpful thread. It helps confirm my suspicions about what kind of power to expect. I've heard that you gain less rwhp from an auto tranny vs a manual. Is that true?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    That is definitely a helpful thread. It helps confirm my suspicions about what kind of power to expect. I've heard that you gain less rwhp from an auto tranny vs a manual. Is that true?
    Yes, a automatic has more drivetrain loss than a manual. Almost always though, the automatic will be faster (not MPH faster) in the quarter or even a street race. This assumes, you have a aftermarket stall.

You really need to think about getting a different stall.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yes its true an A4 will eat up more of your power before it gets to the ground. Like said before a 224 would be a great DD cam. However you wont see the gains you want without getting a stall as well. I am alos looking to getting a DD cam. I myself have an A4 but since im away for school right now i've just been ordering mods as fast as money will allow me to. I've been in a couple cars with cams and no stall and it sucks. So far I have my LT's, H pipe, 2 cut outs, 8 ft of piping, 3000 stall, and more to come.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wait until you can get the stall.....not worth the headache. If you have to choose.....choose the stall first.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    wait until you can get the stall.....not worth the headache. If you have to choose.....choose the stall first.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Yes, a automatic has more drivetrain loss than a manual. Almost always though, the automatic will be faster (not MPH faster) in the quarter or even a street race. This assumes, you have a aftermarket stall.

You really need to think about getting a different stall.
    lol well I know a stock stall is around 1800 rpm. I will probably end up getting an aftermarket stall sometime, but I'm going to have 3650 dollars spent on this head/cam/gears/headers install. I'm also in school, so money does not come in bunches. I was hoping to get all the engine stuff done now. The came of course I'm looking at is the TR224 on a 114lsa. I was hoping until I could get the money together I would still be able to drive it as is.

Would a 2600 stall be okay? I would like to stay as close to stock drivability as possible.

EDIT: Okay didn't see the happy face before I posted.... would the stall stated above be okay?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have pretty much the same heads with a 228r and a 3500 1.9str fuddle and could easily daily drive it if I had too. I would get at least a 3200 stall but would prefer a little more than that even. I'm telling you though...don't do all that work and try to drive it on the stock stall.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I''m not looking for an all out race car. Just a nice street monster If/When I decide to open it up. It took a lot of people to tell me I'm wasting my time if I go with a cam smaller than a 224 to even think about going that big. Originally I was looking at a 218/224 comp cam or a 216/220
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 01-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I''m not looking for an all out race car. Just a nice street monster If/When I decide to open it up. It took a lot of people to tell me I'm wasting my time if I go with a cam smaller than a 224. Originally I was looking at a 218/224 comp cam
    I would suggest you find some people local to you and take a ride in some cammed cars. A 224r with a decent tune is going to be no big deal to drive around in and in 6 months I have money that says you're telling people you wish you would've went bigger.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

lol well I know a stock stall is around 1800 rpm. I will probably end up getting an aftermarket stall sometime, but I'm going to have 3650 dollars spent on this head/cam/gears/headers install. I'm also in school, so money does not come in bunches. I was hoping to get all the engine stuff done now. The came of course I'm looking at is the TR224 on a 114lsa. I was hoping until I could get the money together I would still be able to drive it as is.

Would a 2600 stall be okay? I would like to stay as close to stock drivability as possible.

EDIT: Okay didn't see the happy face before I posted.... would the stall stated above be okay?
    Your asking a M6 guy, remember that

IMO, anything under 3200 just isnt worth the money or hassle. Get some other opinions, from guys/gals who have a auto and/or DD an auto.

I have auto envy FYI.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have money that says you're telling people you wish you would've went bigger.
    That is the constant statement I always hear.

Read up, would be awesome to find someone who has a good stalled setup and ride/drive with them. That's what I would recommend.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

IMO, anything under 3500 just isnt worth the money or hassle.
    Fixed.

The newer converters are perfectly streetable at 3500 and are nice and tight. I wouldn't go anything less.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I would suggest you find some people local to you and take a ride in some cammed cars. A 224r with a decent tune is going to be no big deal to drive around in and in 6 months I have money that says you're telling people you wish you would've went bigger.
    Thanks... I'm gonna try to see if anyone around has a stalled/cammed car. I was just unsure about a larger stall because I guess I don't fully understand them. I don't want the car to rev to 3 grand before it takes off.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Fixed.

The newer converters are perfectly streetable at 3500 and are nice and tight. I wouldn't go anything less.
    What makes? b&M? Yank? I've heard of so many. People have told me the difference between a cheap stall and an expensive one is their streetability

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Fixed.

I was kinda trying to take it easy on him Seeing how he said 2600 first, coming back at him with a 3500 seemed to much at the moment

Agreed though. I want an auto so badly.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I was kinda trying to take it easy on him Seeing how he said 2600 first, coming back at him with a 3500 seemed to much at the moment

Agreed though. I want an auto so badly.
    lol thanks... I've tried to tell all my pizons that have stick cars and want to go fast that they should have got an auto. If anything it takes the human error out shifting. you'll always hit the next gear and at the right time

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

What makes? b&M? Yank? I've heard of so many. People have told me the difference between a cheap stall and an expensive one is their streetability
    Yank.

Nothing else.

Thread Information