Xr269hr

This is a discussion on Xr269hr within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm just looking for reviews on the Comp Cam XR269HR 216/220. What type of added power would it give to ...

Orange
    1999 Camaro

Xr269hr

I'm just looking for reviews on the Comp Cam XR269HR 216/220. What type of added power would it give to the engine? What type of idle does it give the car? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Idle will be fine. With a tune you wont even know its in there.

Power will be upped. Not alot, thats a pretty mild cam. It will give a nice power increase... but you could go larger with the same drivabilty. You also didnt note a LSA or Lift, but Im assuming mid .500's on a 112 or 114. It will drive like stock, with some extra power and a good strong power band.

red
    2000 camaro ss

^^^hi-po pretty much nailed it. main thing you will see is a broader power band. your low end will be grunt and it'll pull nice 'n hard to right around your stock redline. it will be a mild peak increase, but your dyno chart will look much more appealing across the board.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Check out this web page....http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...en3/index.html

I read it when i was trying to decide on a cam. a few things on there i found pretty interesting. One was what with the smaller cam they gained more torque than with the bigger cams and the bigger cams dont start making power till high up in the rpm range. if its a daily driver and you want alot of torque and more power without spinning over 6000 rpms go with a smaller cam. The page also shows a good example of when you "over-cam" an engine.
    Also the lsa will change the way it idles. if you want a stock idle then go with a 114 and if you want a more choppier idle go with a 112. hope this helps.....

Orange
    1999 Camaro

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought it was going to be a mild cam and after reading that article and other reviews, I am leaning towards the comp cam XR275HR with 222/224 duration and LSA of 112. The torque gains is sufficient along with overall power. However, I am also interested in Comp Cam's Thumpr series that they just came out with for the LS1 engines. They claim its a direct replacement for the stock cam. The grind is 275THR9 with 219/233 duration and an LSA of 109. Obviously, this cam is going to lope pretty mean. I like the rpm range of 2000-6400 but can't find anywhere what type of performance increases this cam will give out! Reviews are real hard to come by.

Those thumper cams have been out a while for the older Gen 1 motors and have proven themselves on the dyno to not only sound mean but they put up some great numbers as well, right on par with most other grinds.
    Comp spent alot of R&D on those cams to make them work like they do.

Haven't seen one used in an LS motor yet but on paper I would think that would be a pain in the rump to tune with fuel injection.

Orange
    1999 Camaro

Also, with the thumpr cam...I'm concerned about the vaccuum...whether or not it'll allow enough draw to run the brake lines, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rchops33 View Post
    Also, with the thumpr cam...I'm concerned about the vaccuum...whether or not it'll allow enough draw to run the brake lines, etc.
    Probably not. I run a somewhat milder camshaft in my 454 with 248 at .050 and 110 lobe sep. with 4 degrees advance ground in,,,,and it only gives me about 6 inches of manifold vacuum at idle,,,,it requires and extra vacuum cannister (which isn't enough) and I run that along with a small electric vacuum pump just to get a decent pedal back.

Thread Information