Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

winter time is cam time.

This is a discussion on winter time is cam time. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have the c5r timing chain but many see that as overkill and just get the ls2 timing chain. I ...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have the c5r timing chain but many see that as overkill and just get the ls2 timing chain. I have slp oil pump (made by melling) which is the same as the melling High volume oil pump but just has slp's stamp on it. Both pieces are high quality pieces. Here's pictures if you want them.

1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Impounded

Red
    I hope that now u would have got solved up with the problem of yours tremendously...

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

i went with ls2 chain and tsp ported ls6 oil pump which gave me 12-20psi more oil pressure at all times

stock pump and chain

ls1 chain vs ls2

new pump and ls2 chain

stock spring vs comp 918
    Last edited by robs98mysticZ; 10-11-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    i went with ls2 chain and tsp ported ls6 oil pump which gave me 12-20psi more oil pressure at all times

stock pump and chain
    Click for full size

ls1 chain vs ls2
    Click for full size

new pump and ls2 chain
    Click for full size

stock spring vs comp 918
    Click for full size
    Seeing all these pictures is helping me see why the stock parts would need upgraded! Thanks for all he help and insight you guys I believe I'll go way of an ls2 chain and most likely the ported oil pump.still on the fence with cam and stall brand I'm going with a 3600 rpm I believe just don't know which flavor I hear yank are reliable though.

Black/ Silver

For a stall I would do your research. Yank, Vigilante, Circle D are all very good converters but with a high price tag depending on the one you go with. I would stay away from TCI, I have heard some really bad stories about the cheapness which resulted in messed up transmissions. Edge, Revmax, and FTI make sound converters which may be on par with the bigger names but I have no information or experience to really back that up with. Edge and Revmaxx will make the converter custom based on your application and information you supply them with.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Yeah I saw some yank tc for about 700-1000 usd! it's insane, but worth the price if it doesn't make me have to replace a 15-2500 dollar trans.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Well I've figured out my can I will be going the 228r from tsp next thing I need to figure ls7 lifters yay or nay anything to be gained over the ls1 lifters? I know I don't need them but I figure why not go the extra mile?

Black/ Silver

If you have the cash go with BTRs. They are better but they are $300 vs $140. LS7s are better than ls1s and they don't even make ls1 lifters anymore so ls7s are the stock replacement for them. Your pushrod length will change so you will need to measure with a adjustable pushrod checker what the length is. With the stock cam and ls7 lifters I had a pushrod length of 3.375 I believe. Also you will need ls2 lifter trays to work properly with the ls7 lifters, that or drill the holes out slightly bigger but the trays are only $32 for all four so it is not even really worth the time to do that.

For piece of mind I would at least go with ls7 lifters. I believe I have some ls7s that are unused except oiled up if you are interested, I decided to go with BTRs instead.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    If you have the cash go with BTRs. They are better but they are $300 vs $140. LS7s are better than ls1s and they don't even make ls1 lifters anymore so ls7s are the stock replacement for them. Your pushrod length will change so you will need to measure with a adjustable pushrod checker what the length is. With the stock cam and ls7 lifters I had a pushrod length of 3.375 I believe. Also you will need ls2 lifter trays to work properly with the ls7 lifters, that or drill the holes out slightly bigger but the trays are only $32 for all four so it is not even really worth the time to do that.

For piece of mind I would at least go with ls7 lifters. I believe I have some ls7s that are unused except oiled up if you are interested, I decided to go with BTRs instead.
    Oh so its necessary to change lifters? Also I was told the pushrod length would stay the same with the setup I have should a use a checker first before I order 7.400 and find them too long? How much for the lifters if you're selling them?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post

Oh so its necessary to change lifters? Also I was told the pushrod length would stay the same with the setup I have should a use a checker first before I order 7.400 and find them too long? How much for the lifters if you're selling them?
    It isn't exactly necessary to change them but I would. A lifter going bad can do really bad things to your engine such as taking out the cam and cam bearings. When you change lifters, put a different cam in, or change heads it is absolutely necessary to measure pushrod length. The reason is the cam's base circle could be different from stock, the heads could have been milled down on the base without your knowledge and the lifters preload could be different. So to a answer your question, yes I would measure length to be sure but this would have to be after heads and cam are installed to get the proper length.

As for the question about my lifters let me make sure I still have them but I was thinking $100 shipped.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-21-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

It isn't exactly necessary to change them but I would. A lifter going bad can do really bad things to your engine such as taking out the cam and cam bearings. When you change lifters, put a different cam in, or change heads it is absolutely necessary to measure pushrod length. The reason is the cam's base circle could be different from stock, the heads could have been milled down on the base without your knowledge and the lifters preload could be different. So to a answer your question, yes I would measure length to be sure but this would have to be after heads and cam are installed to get the proper length.

As for the question about my lifters let me make sure I still have them but I was thinking $100 shipped.
    Cool that'll save me like $50 just let me know .

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post

Cool that'll save me like $50 just let me know .
    I'll check tonight after work and let you know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information