Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

why am i getting 150miles out of a tank?

This is a discussion on why am i getting 150miles out of a tank? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Mine did that stock too. We both have heavy feet....

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Mine did that stock too. We both have heavy feet.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE
    Mine did that stock too. We both have heavy feet.
    no but last tanki kept it under 2,000rmp's with no ac and tops on

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

I drive my 99 Z28 over 70 miles per day for school, I clock 22-24 MPG if i stay at 80 MPH on the interstate (2100 rpm) and keep my foot out of it. I guess having an A4 and 2.73's helps out a little...but I run with the AC on too. Around the city or if im screwing around, bye bye gas milage. When I first bought the car I got like 150 miles out of each tank....quickly learned my lesson. Also had to rotate tires

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedZ28
    Also had to rotate tires

Also Speaking of tires. Make sure your tires have the right PSI....my lazy ass never bothered with that. I would drive year long on M/T ET street drag radials with 18PSI in the back. lol

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Man, that stinks, 80 mph @ 2100rpm, I can be at 90 @ 2,000 rpm ---->M6

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

watch those shops....some will just leave the #8 plug in cause there's no way for you to know unless you pull the plug yourself. You might be able to reach back there and pull the wire off and see if it's new...doubt it though.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Yeah i read that too. I changed my plugs for the first time a few months ago; it really wasn't all that bad. I promise you could do it yourself. Check out the 'how to' on http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I get about 200 miles per tank around town (heads/cam not installed yet).

It could be a clogged cat. That can kill power and fuel economy.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, SLP lid, Holley filter, Shaner S3 TB, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs, Edelbrock PHR. Moser 9" 4.11 gears.

**FOR SALE**: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/fs-02-silver-t-heads-cam-headers-9-fl-60478/

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Well, it looks like you are in northern KY, so you are buying reformulated gas. Some people call it oxygenated gas. I live in N. Ky also and my mileage is around 190 each tank. Some driving is strictly short drive city type driving and some mileage is I-75 & I-275. Long & short of it is the Ashland reformulated formula was required by old governor Collins about the time you were born and I guess that's still what we have here. I do believe that since the hurricaines and the Bush executive order to reduce the boutique blends required by the EPA, I am getting better mileage.

For a tune you should consider LT1 Dave. He costs less than the other guys and he can get you real close w/o the dyno because he has done so many lsX combinations and has records of what worked best from his dyno tunes. He will also do a dyno tune if that's what you want, but he only does them once a month or so and the spots fill up fast. He's on the Cincinnati F-Body web site as a sponsor. Nice guy and his prices on all the work you may need aere reasonable the last time I was there. He did my tune for $100. I think he has raised it to $150 recently. Made a big difference on the way my car runs.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

dude -you're getting 10mpg-do the math.Something's wrong-my car gets over 30 on the hiway-on the worst day still gets 15 mpg(around town and alot of idling through drive thru and ATM stuff).The AC doesn't drag down mileage like people think-windows up decreases drag and offsets power useage.You say it's a new engine-built to stock specs.Did you switch everything over from the old engine(which was working properly before).If so there has to be something screwed up w/the motor.They put old spark plugs in new motor? that's strange!

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by KP1
    Well, it looks like you are in northern KY, so you are buying reformulated gas. Some people call it oxygenated gas. I live in N. Ky also and my mileage is around 190 each tank. Some driving is strictly short drive city type driving and some mileage is I-75 & I-275. Long & short of it is the Ashland reformulated formula was required by old governor Collins about the time you were born and I guess that's still what we have here. I do believe that since the hurricaines and the Bush executive order to reduce the boutique blends required by the EPA, I am getting better mileage.

For a tune you should consider LT1 Dave. He costs less than the other guys and he can get you real close w/o the dyno because he has done so many lsX combinations and has records of what worked best from his dyno tunes. He will also do a dyno tune if that's what you want, but he only does them once a month or so and the spots fill up fast. He's on the Cincinnati F-Body web site as a sponsor. Nice guy and his prices on all the work you may need aere reasonable the last time I was there. He did my tune for $100. I think he has raised it to $150 recently. Made a big difference on the way my car runs.
    i cant drive my car now anyways, im in a law suit with Dry ridge Toyota.

White
    98 Trans Am

dont forget to get some no residue electrical cleaner from radioshack and clean the 3 little sensors in the MAF. mine were almost black and they're supposed to be silver. i recently posted about bad mileage on ws6zxr forum. i had ported maf ends. i put stock back on (i was told i have to or itll run richer) and cleaned the sensor, and then i reset the ECM. and i keep it at or below 1500 rpm! i'm driving like a grandma. if that dont work i might have to do plugs and wires, i was told not to get iridium ngk tr55's to get the copper ones cuz they conduct better. thats fine with me since iridium are like $8 a pop and copper cost $20 for all 8. im assuming the copper just have to get replace a little sooner. and MSD 8.5mm wires which are $65 for the set. I checked prices at motorsporttech.com. but some one's telling me the 02's could be bad? i thought i should get an ses light if there are. if they're bad i was wondering if 02 sims would fix it cuz im on a tight budget. i was told my fuel injectors could be messed up if i used fuel injector cleaner regularly. i'm still waiting to see if the mpg has changed. i get about 13mpg. with 273's and ac off all stock. k&n.

MY t/a is for sale $12 takes it (908)397-3423, NJ.

02transam
    stock 2002 T.A. conv M6 28-30mpg

Kevin

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

I am just amazed at the mileage some people are getting. I drove my 2002 SS M6 800 miles on a trip on open interstate roads driving about 70mph and I never got more than 20mpg on any fill-up. Tires @ 30, lid, filter, iridium plugs & new wires,synthetic oil, free mods.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I've never taken any long trips with my Camaro Z-but I've got a OBD2 monitor on the dash that reads out all computer sensors and also gas mileage -in several different ways.Out on the highway I can get over 30 mpg.Your mileage drops drastically around town with the stop and go,heavy traffic,idling thru fast food and ATMs.I drive mainly city type traffic and the average is around 16-18 mpg.But I don't understand how you would only get 20 mpg on open highway-must be jazzin the throttle alot.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i gotta '98 formula, ls1 A4 273s, bolt ons and catback, i get 275 per tank, i usualy fill up after 250 miles with room to spare...

Marc '99T/A
    You also have to consider that the '98's had a 15 gallon gas tank, while everyone else got bumped up to a 16.8 gallon tank in '99.

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Yeah. 275 divided by 15 is 18.3 MPG. Divided by 14 is 19.3 MPG. Divided by 13 is 21.1 MPG. That's real close to to the MPG I get on my 02 SS M6 Convertible.

I'm not jazzin' the throttle, just driving normal. And those fuel monitors aren't accurate. My Cadillac has a monitor and sometimes it indicates that I'm getting 79 MPG, and a full size DeVille can't do that. The only way you know how many MPG you're getting is to fill your tank, set your trip meter to zero, drive the car, fill the tank again, then divide the miles driven by the # of gallons it takes to refill the tank. If you're not doing that, you really don't know what your MPG is.

I have read that some people have replaced their o2 sensors even though no codes were set, and their mileage has improved. I guess it is possible that my o2 sensors are off, but my math isn't. I can baby the car through a tank coasting to traffic lights and getting to the higher gears very rapidly, or I can wind it out a bit and get into the throttle here and there, and the difference in mileage is nominal. I'm getting ready to do a H/C swap and when I do I'll change out the o2 sensors just for fun. In the big scheme of things, considering the cost of gaskets and ancillary parts to do the swap, the o2 sensors aren't that expensive.

I just gotta get me one of those MiniCoopers that looks like a Camaro SS convertible.

00slpstreet
    what is a stock ls1 4th gen suppose to get on a full tank ...no a/c highway/city?

White
    98 Trans Am

the stock mpg depends on the transmission, i didnt look this up right now but off the top i think an auto (non-ws6) w/ 2.73's has 19c 26h mpg rating. the 6speed has i think 19c 28h or something like that. oh by the way i now get an average of 21 mpg thats city and hightway. i was getting 13 average. all i did was clean the MAF and put stock maf ends on (I had ported) and reset the computer.
    Last edited by csteingraber; 10-07-2005 at 06:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information