Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Who's running a cam with stock 10 bolt?

Although I can't afford it right now, i'd like to get a cam for my car to make some serious power. But i'm afraid of blowing my stock clutch (72K!) and stock 10 bolt w/ 4.10s. how many of you guys are running a decent cam with a stock drivetrain? I'm probably just gonna start doing more suspension mods because i dont think my stock drivetrain can take the extra power from the cam.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

White
    01 SS Vert

I run a cam and stock rear-end. My opinion is, if you don't launch it hard on slicks, there really isn't much additional wear than with stock drivetrain components. Also, I have a friend that just dropped $3K on a new rear-end for 'insurance' on his '00 WS6. I'd rather throw $1500 in speed parts and then have some back up money in case the rearend does go out....but it ain't broke, I'm not fixing something that costs so much. Do the cam, but know you 'might' have to replace the rearend in the long run, but you might not have to. That's my opionion and others may argue, but I don't think the rear sees extra wear from a marginal increase in power, it's the high RPM launches on slicks that creates wear and slack in the gear teeth and add sadditional stresses and virbrations on rear end components.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

stock rear hear.......so far ..i dont track the car often and i run sticky street tires NOT drag rads...and as already said dont launch the car hard and it should last a while

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

I know a few people with stock 10 bolt and cammed running nitrous at the track... they just don't launch hard. I also know someone with a charged and stroked 383 with 4.11's in the rear (He doesn't launch on it though)... so it all depends on how you drive it...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I ran the 10 bolt with the 402 for a while.
    Just knew not to launch hard. Made sure it spun when I would race it.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

cammed action in mine as well, Plans are to eventually go to a 9 inch rear but 10 bolt is holding up extremely well for how hard I am on it... It has seen its fair share of 5K launches and up till last year the original stock clutch head up to with 87K on it and atleast 40-50 decent launches

If you are "nice" to your car there is no reason you can't stay with the 10 bolt after a cam, suspension upgrades are well worth it though to help drop those times

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I would just run it with the cam if I were you and start saving for 9inch.
    I ran the 10 bolt for years in few different modded 11 and 12 second 3rd gens and also my current 98 Z28. I was running street tires for awhile but then was launching hard on slicks or drag radials and did break several rear ends over the years, but I didnt have budget at the time to get 9 inch and had spare gears to rebuild myself with new bearings. Also I puchased a few different gear sets 3.73, 4.10 and was getting them to hold for quite awhile under race conditions. But ultimately when my 98 ls1 reached 11's on my old combo with stock motor, lt's, free mods, weight reduction, slicks & skinnies, ported tb, z06 clutch and 4.10's with a 150 shot of juice I could only get rear to stay together for 6 months to a year of racing on the street and local tracks and I would have to tear down. I was pulling off 60's in the 1.6-1.7 range on it consistantly.

At one point I was launching off the limiter all motor and also launching on NOS in first gear on either slicks or drag radials because i figured wtf I can build it myself. For most people it would be way expensive to do that and I would recommend upgrading If you have the budget, I had spares and saved a lot of money like that just to be able to run the local heads up and bracket events and represent on the steet for my business. Finally I have a 9inch with 4.33's and a spool that im installing at same time as my new 6.0 and spec III clutch, it is in progress as we speak.
    The stock 10 bolt can be flat out dangerous with the damn c-clips mine was starting to scare me cause the car was getting pretty damn fast and the rear had already came apart before. I even broke an axle on the street one time with street tires and almost lost a wheel, but it was probably fatigued from slicks already.

The guys on here are correct if you let the tires spin a little on street tires it will save rear for most part. I made a decision to run what I brung and what I could afford and made some legendary passes on my stock combo at the brackets and heads up that people are still talking about here. Sent some trailered sponsored drag queens home in the bracket mod class being the only car in that class with manual, street car that drove to track, and stock motor, out of 34 car field made it to semifinals last 4 cars. Until my bottle pressure dropped, didnt think I'd make it that far! These guys had auto, launch controls! Your 10 bolt will stand up pretty decent its just a matter of how long and how you treat it. I went balls out and tested the limits of that little 10 bolt but got to the point where I was flexing housing and unloading preload and correct settings, it was the juice with slicks that really tore it up quick! So glad I have 9 inch now
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-20-2008 at 10:20 AM.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    I would just run it with the cam if I were you and start saving for 9inch.
    I ran the 10 bolt for years in few different modded 11 and 12 second 3rd gens and also my current 98 Z28. I actually was launching hard on slicks ultimately and did break several rear ends over the years, but I didnt have budget at the time to get 9 inch and had spare gears to rebuild myself with new bearings. Also I puchased a few different gear sets 3.73, 4.10 and was getting them to hold for quite awhile under race conditions. But ultimately when my 98 ls1 reached 11's on my old combo with stock motor, lt's, free mods, weight reduction, slicks & skinnies, ported tb, z06 clutch and 4.10's with a 150 shot of juice I could only get rear to stay together for 6 months to a year of racing on the street and local tracks and I would have to tear down. I was pulling off 60's in the 1.6-1.7 range on it consistantly.

At one point I was launching off the limiter all motor and also launching on NOS in first gear on either slicks or drag radials because i figured wtf I can build it myself. For most people it would be way expensive to do that and I would recommend upgrading If you have the budget, I had spares and saved a lot of money like that just to be able to run the local heads up and bracket events and represent on the steet for my business. Finally I have a 9inch with 4.33's and a spool that im installing at same time as my new 6.0 and spec III clutch, it is in progress as we speak.
    The stock 10 bolt can be flat out dangerous with the damn c-clips mine was starting to scare me cause the car was getting pretty damn fast and the rear had already came apart before. I even broke an axle on the street one time with street tires and almost lost a wheel, but it was probably fatigued from slicks already.

The guys on here are correct if you let the tires spin a little on street tires it will save rear for most part. I made a decision to run what I brung and what I could afford and made some legendary passes on my stock combo at the brackets and heads up that people are still talking about here. Sent some trailered sponsored drag queens home in the bracket mod class being the only car in that class with manual, street car that drove to track, and stock motor, out of 34 car field made it to semifinals last 4 cars. Until my bottle pressure dropped, didnt think I'd make it that far! These guys had auto, launch controls! Your 10 bolt will stand up pretty decent its just a matter of how long and how you treat it. I went balls out and tested the limits of that little 10 bolt but got to the point where I was flexing housing and unloading preload and correct settings, it was the juice with slicks that really tore it up quick! So glad I have 9 inch now

hell of a story.....um WOW.....i cant belive your 10 bolt took 6k launches on slicks spraying NO2...thats sick

Pewter
    99 Z28 A4

H/C and bottle on a stock 10 bolt here, but I have an automatic. I'm still crossing my fingers.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    hell of a story.....um WOW.....i cant belive your 10 bolt took 6k launches on slicks spraying NO2...thats sick
    Yea it was pretty crazy I was just going all out on it, launching as hard as I could, but my 10 bolts days were numbered for sure. One time it was perfect setup with new 4.10's and after track event they were howling like crazy because all the torque unloaded the pinion bearing preload and I ended up having to tear down again. I put a lot of work into my 10 bolt with the spare gear sets and axles I had just cause I couldnt afford total price of 9 inch at once vs maintaining 10 bolt through season. The original combo in my car was a true budget buildup with many free mods and a few weight savings.

I ended up buying a used 9inch chunk and then the bolt in housing and axle package and saved big. I almost was gona fabricate brackets but wanted the correct bolt pattern, width and stock disc brakes to mount up so the bolt in housing and axles is way worth it. If you cant afford new setup I would recommend going that route to thread starter if you can find a worthy used chunk from a reputable source. Sometimes circle track guys have some that are good that they will part with.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shortdog View Post
    H/C and bottle on a stock 10 bolt here, but I have an automatic. I'm still crossing my fingers.

Yea that auto's probably keeping it together for a little longer, cause of course the m6 hits the rear alot harder and can shock the specs out of wack. the fluid coupling in converter saves the rear a little with auto. Good luck sounds like a nice combo. Do you have a 9inch piggy bank yet. LOL

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

224 cam here and stock rear
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    99 formula firebird

lunati stick and upgraded 10 bolt...after you break 2x sets of 373 gears, 2 x auburn diffs, and a set of axles....its better to drive like grandma and save for a better rear...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

H/C/I M6 and I'm still on the stock 10 bolt with Motive 3.90's.....I've already started the 9" rear fund for when my time comes!

I am still running street tires for now. I'll slap a set of Nitto's on there and see how it holds. I don't launch hard at all and the car will easily spin through 2nd gear, so on the street tires I shouldn't be throwing too much at the stock rear.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

I'm an A4 with the stuff in my sig and still on stock rear.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

in general running a stock rear is fine with a modded car.

Some 10 bolts are stronger than others for some reason, eventually enough power and hard launching the stock rear is nothing more than a ticking time bomb. But for most "street" guys the stock rear holds just fine

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Yeah but either way your gonna have to put up with a lot of gear whine !

Thread Information