Who knows best about Ls1?

This is a discussion on Who knows best about Ls1? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello every one. i have a question for all. I have a 2002 ws6 with full intake and complete exhaust ...

Blue
    2002 Trans-Am

Who knows best about Ls1?

Hello every one. i have a question for all.
    I have a 2002 ws6 with full intake and complete exhaust headers and all.
    Now im lookin to hook it up with a head/cam package. but not really sure what im looking for.
    Anyone know of a good set that will give me maximum horse power for my money?
    Also if i get the heads and cam. do i have to upgrade anything else since its stock?

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by DubisSix View Post
    Hello every one. i have a question for all.
    I have a 2002 ws6 with full intake and complete exhaust headers and all.
    Now im lookin to hook it up with a head/cam package. but not really sure what im looking for.
    Anyone know of a good set that will give me maximum horse power for my money?
    Also if i get the heads and cam. do i have to upgrade anything else since its stock?
    I can't really answer the question but while you have the engine down upgrade the shortblock at a minimum do better rod bolts and forged pistons also remember the biggest cam isn't always the best I wonder why some people call it a bumpstick???

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah your gonna need to upgrade pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, probably replace timing chain also. Your also gonna need new head gaskets, arp head bolts/studs, a tune and your rear end probably won't last very long with the power your gonna be making.

And there isn't exactly a best cam or heads, alot of them flow very similar and its a matter of what go with. And for cam's there are a ton of options it all depends if it your daily driver or if its a strip only car but like i said either way their are countless ways you can go.

Your question should probably be what heads/cam package is te best bang for your buck because the cost of heads alone can vary from 1,000 to 2500 but you can also can get heads and cam packages that will include everything you will need for as little as 2k.

Personally i'm going with some budget heads i just can justify the cost of some of them for maybe an extra 10 horses at most.
    Last edited by sfletch2000; 07-04-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

228/228 598/598 113
    Patriot Stage II LS6 style heads
    LS6 ported oil pump
    LS2 timing chain
    Lunati/Morel lifters
    7.350" pushrods (as long as the heads aren't milled)
    New gaskets.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Mr. Luos i that sounds like a good combo but i would also include arp head stud/bolts to that list

Someone on here told me through texas-speed that you can get everything for 2k which includes

PRC LS6 Heads with competition valve job
    TSP Cam of your Choice
    Valve springs
    Moly Push Rods
    Ported Ls6 oil Pump
    Ls2 Timing chain
    all gaskets and bolts

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    And there isn't exactly a best cam or heads, alot of them flow very similar and its a matter of what go with. And for cam's there are a ton of options it all depends if it your daily driver or if its a strip only car but like i said either way their are countless ways you can go.
    +1

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Mr. Luos i that sounds like a good combo but i would also include arp head stud/bolts to that list
    This depends on what head gaskets are being used.

If running a thinner gasket and/or stock MLS gaskets, I would prefer stock bolts.
    The ARP bolts/studs are great, but a lot of the time you don't need it. High compression builds (boost, high strung N/A builds) need as much strength as possible to hold the heads down.

My motor has stock GM bolts with Cometic .040". Compression is 11:1, not a problem with it.
    I am sure I wouldn't have a problem with the ARP studs/bolts either. But just didn't seem worth the extra couple hundred for my particular build.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

If thats the case i'll just use stock GM bolts also when i do my heads, thanks for heads up considering you saved me some dough.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My block is a newer LQ9, so it required short GM head bolts.

I can't imagine any issues with new stock bolts IF they are torqued correctly for an 'average' compression build.

EDIT: I am not saying to NOT use the ARP studs/bolts. Just think they are a little overkill on some builds. But at the same time, it can't hurt to go a little overboard sometimes.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah i understood what you meant, for stock compression the stock bolts should be just fine is what your saying.

My mods are in my sig and i'm gonna be going with PRC LS6 heads or maybe patriot stage 2 ls6 heads. I just want to go with something that isn't gonna break the bank.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

forgot to include my sig
    Pacesetter Headers- ORY
    Texas Speed 228R Cam/Moly Pushrods/918 Springs
    MTI LID
    Slp Under Drive Pulley
    Texas Speeds Rumbler Catback
    SFC's, Lakewood LCA's
    Koni SA 4/3, Strano Springs
    Dyno Tune
    LS7 Clutch, Nitto DR's
    407 RWHP 377 Ft./lbs.

blue
    2000 z28

first find out what you are going to use the car for. your first mod on any build shuold be sub frame conecters. then go from the rear forward. bolt ons are good in the beginning. think about it put all that money and time into the moter then do you first burn out then bangthere gose the rear now you are sitting. just food for thought

Thread Information