Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Who has emissions checks?

This is a discussion on Who has emissions checks? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Technically speaking,,,,no. They do not check, log or document mileage for the collector or the historical ...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Technically speaking,,,,no. They do not check, log or document mileage for the collector or the historical tags, (they are different types of tags here in Ohio)

They used to send paperwork with them that stated these words......."For recreational use only" but in no way did it say how much. Now you can take that many different ways but in general this means the car is not to be used for daily transportation to and from work.

In my eyes, over the last 30 years of having these tags I viewed this as fair weather driving for pleasure, going to the park, taking the family out to dinner etc.....not necessarily a "car related" function. I have never had a problem with this reasoning.

To top this off,,,,I have been pulled over for many things over the years in cars registered with these tags,,,,and I have never been questioned once about the tag issue,,,,they are more concerned with writing high dollar tickets for speeding and other things.

To add more confusion,,,,when you register your car as historical (25 years or older) you have the option to run model year plates here in Ohio. You fill out your paperwork with an original model year tag (usually found at swap meets) and you are allowed to remove the historical plates, (but they must be kept in the car) and then install model year plates,,,pretty cool stuff. I have 3 cars this way,,,,they never have to be renewed again.

The only problem I have had with these plates is the fact that they don't use any stickers with dates etc...(as they didn't do that back then anyway) and I do get the occasional cop that pulls me over asking why or how I was able to leagally install model year plates with no county display or renewal date. Yes there are even State Troopers here in Ohio that have pulled me over and have never seen this before, even though it's been available since as long as I can remember,,,anyway,,,,I carry the paperwork in the car with the affidavid that shows the car registered with the model plates etc.....it makes the traffic stop much easier, I can then get on my way much faster. It happens to me about 2-3 times each summer. No big deal. Other than that I have had no problems,,,if you even consider this little hickup a problem. It's more of a lack of knowledge on the officers part.

Good info to know, Thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    Won't that richen up the exhaust? I though they were to pump air to dilute it?
    Nope. The air pump only runs when you first start the car. My car passes emissions in Md with long tubes, no cats, no air pump, and a huge lumpy cam. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Good info to know, Thanks
    Thanks man,,,,now if I can only find someone living in Arizona that can give me the same type of info on tags. Since my internet searches turn up squat. All I can find is that there is a car tax based on value to renew tags, but I cannot find specifics. I'll start a new thread and see who speaks up. Cheers.

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

I wish there was a way to test it with out the state knowing. I want to put long tubes, maaybe with cutouts, and true duals. I just don't know if they would sniff bad with out the cats. Is it an all day project to take out the air pump and does it pop on the Chec engine light?

3.4l's of sex.....

green
    93' Camaro

cali emissions blow. strictest in the nation i believe.

Pewter
    02 Z28

I live in Cali and it sucks Im thinking of moving to IL next year and registering my car where my sister lives they dont do any inspections of any kind
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

This is why i drive a 67 chevy p/u with a Phat Rat under the hood,
    down here in Texas 67 and earlier are emission exempt...
    No Cats, no EGR, no AIR....no bull

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

what does removing the air pump do for you performance wise?

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    what does removing the air pump do for you performance wise?
    Absolutely nothing. It just allows you to eliminate some of the emissions plumbing that clutters up the engine bay, and removes a few pounds (15-ish) from the front end of the car.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

k thanks i didn't think it could add any performance beside weight loss

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

All they do in Pa is plug and visual, but lots, and I mean lots of places let anything go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information