Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Where to get Heads P/P and Cam ???'s

I picked up a set of 243's from my buddy's '06 GTO. I'm looking to get them ported and polished, but not sure where a good place to have it done at around here. Any ideas? I live in southern Kansas. I'm looking to go FI in the future, nothing over 8 lbs of boost, and was also wondering what would be a good cam to go with. Something that is going to work well with or without FI, or at least get me by till I get FI.

I don't need anything monsterous, just something better than stock. The car isn't set up to be a drag car, but more of a road course / autoX car. I guess it's not just good enough taking curves on the R1, I gotta do it in the car too, lol

hugger orange

if you have access to a good compressor you could port&nd polish the heads yourself. it took me about 5 hours to do mine with the right tools. Eastwood sells all the bits and attachments to do the job.
    you could go with a wide range of cams for forced induction I'd stay with a 114-116lsa low overlap with a longer exhaust duration.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Search a cylinder head shop around there. Otherwise, send them off to one of the sponsors speed shops that sell ported heads of their own. I highly recommend you not to port your own heads unless you know what you are doing.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Search a cylinder head shop around there. Otherwise, send them off to one of the sponsors speed shops that sell ported heads of their own. I highly recommend you not to port your own heads unless you know what you are doing.
    I can tell you if I didn't have cutout head section, I probably would have gone right into the coolant passage that dips around the exaust spring seat

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I deffinately don't plan on doing it myself. Just not comfortable doing something I know could royally mess up. Especially when I've never done it before. I've been asking around, and I'm getting some leads. Just need to talk to some more people.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I can tell you if I didn't have cutout head section, I probably would have gone right into the coolant passage that dips around the exaust spring seat
    At least you can weld aluminum. I've got a friend porting some 5.3's for me right now. He used his 5.3 heads as a test dummy and did the same thing. He's got it down now so I trust him. It's a lot of work to port. I definitely wouldn't have the patience to do it.

hugger orange

At least you can weld aluminum. I've got a friend porting some 5.3's for me right now. He used his 5.3 heads as a test dummy and did the same thing. He's got it down now so I trust him. It's a lot of work to port. I definitely wouldn't have the patience to do it.
    5 strait hours......my back, arms and hands all hurt after, but in the end it was worth it. I was shocked at the size of the pile of metal that I got out of it.
    but in a weird way it was kind of fun and now I can say I did it myself

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

I don't have the patience either, lol

Thread Information