Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

When people say dont try to...

Put your engine in from the top, then take my advise and F*&^ING listen to them. I didnt take the advise because I dont have a lift and at first didnt think we could get the car high enough. If you encounter that same situation, find a F*&^ing way!!! Always take the engine out from the bottom on these cars or else you will be ready to light the stupid freaking cocksucking thing on fire by the end of the day and have barely anything accomplished. What makes it even worse is I did it with the transmisison attached. Now we still need to put on the driveshaft, headers, bolt the engine mounts down, put the intake manifold back on (which had to come off with the headers because the freaking engine didnt fit), steering rack, wire harness, and then pray this thing runs cause its not coming out EVER again...

Sorry about the rant but it made me feel a little better. I will go work on it again after I get some food and caffiene

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Never tried taking it out or putting it back from the top.
    I knew better.

Hoist and strut tower brace.
    Disconnect k-member and lift off the motor.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your car has been apart so long that hopefully it'll remember what to do. Get that damn thing running.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

both of you can SHUT THE HELL UP!!

I hope it still knows what to do as well because everyday I work on it this 04 cobra comes roaring by and he needs a good killin!!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i've taken the motor out of the wife's car from the top. i took the heads off. pulled motor only out the top. i have a friend that has pulled the complete motor through the top. it can be done.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i've taken the motor out of the wife's car from the top. i took the heads off. pulled motor only out the top. i have a friend that has pulled the complete motor through the top. it can be done.
    we pulled the motor and trans out the top almost fully assembled, only thing taken off was headers and manifold. problem wasnt so much the engine, there is plenty of room for just the longblock but it was getting the headers to go back in without dropping the k member. I have Jet Hot LTs and they DO NOT hug the block very well at all. Even with the clearence issues associated with SLP headers they are MUCH easier to install. Anyways it ended up being almost frightfully easy after we jacked the car up about 2 feet on all 4 corners and then jacked the engine and trans up as high as they would go on top of that. We had to dent one flange in slightly on the passenger header but after all that everything went together pretty well. We are doing this all in a one car garage with about a 20 year old rusted engine hoist as well.

Progress so far: Engine mounted. Transmision connected to driveshaft and mounted. Headers in. All accessories were already on. Some wiring harnesses reconnected. Transmission Dipstick in.

Parts broken: 2 brand new spark plugs. Water Temp Sensor. Oil Pressure sensor. All heat shielding

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, sounds you made some progress in the end. Can't wait for you to fire it up the first time and see just how shitty that idle is. Congrats on getting it back in and hopefully the rest will go smooth for you. Sounds like you have most of the hard stuff out of the way. When are you gonna be able to work on it again?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    well, sounds you made some progress in the end. Can't wait for you to fire it up the first time and see just how shitty that idle is. Congrats on getting it back in and hopefully the rest will go smooth for you. Sounds like you have most of the hard stuff out of the way. When are you gonna be able to work on it again?
    right now I am on my way out the door to get me some spark plugs if I can find them and hopefullywe can get it started by the end of the day and then get all the finishing touches done throughout the next week. The goal is to be able to drive it at least one day before I put it back up on jackstands and rip out the rear suspension

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

steering rack reconnected, intake manifold, fuel rails, crossmember, and coil pack are all mounted and most wiring is done. just need the radiator hooked up and the power steering pump along with my last 2 spark plugs and hopefully the car will turn over today or tomorrow

98 Formula
    06 duramax

running?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

nope.. didnt get the sparkplugs yet and I dont have my new radiator hoses now. I figured I might as well order some new ones.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I have done it twice from the top. Its not that hard.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    we figured that out after taking the headers and intake manifold off.. It also would have made it even easier to have the balancer off. It was the headers that fought us really bad.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Yep, headers, tranny, radiator and intake.

3rd times the charm

red
    2000 trans am WS6

I pulled mine from the bottom in under 6 hours. glad i took some advice from someone
    Last edited by josh110781; 05-16-2007 at 02:19 AM.
    slp lid,maf and smooth bellow. ls6 intake, cnc ported and polished ls6 heads with competition valve job. cam 237,242 .603,.609 113 lsa. pacesetter longtube headers and off road y-pipe. magnaflow catback
    dyno numbers on a mustang dyno
    394 rwhp @ 6300 RPM
    345.7 rwtq @ 4800 RPM

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Yep, headers, tranny, radiator and intake.
    the tranny actually didnt make any difference for us other than lifting it over the front bumper and once it was in the engine bay we set the tail housing on a small jack and just rolled it back as the engine set right in (after figuring out we had to remove headers and intake )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I'm going to play captain obvious for a second. If you can't install the headers from the top what made you guys think they would let you slide the motor in with them attached?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I'm going to play captain obvious for a second. If you can't install the headers from the top what made you guys think they would let you slide the motor in with them attached?

Remember up top when I said SHUT THE HELL UP!!

that still applies

the car should run this weekend though, kinda shitty its not done yet, I kinda wanted to make the Mustang Fbody shootout this friday but I probrably should give the engine a little time before I go beat up some mustangs anyways..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well??????

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information