IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

when to change fuel injectors?

just like it says when do you know when to change fuel injectors mines got 62,xxx miles is it time?

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

unless its running like shit id just run some cleaners through em every now and then and you should be fine...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    just like it says when do you know when to change fuel injectors mines got 62,xxx miles is it time?
    Fuel injectors aren't something you change out as a maintance item like spark plugs. They generally should last the life of the vehicle, provided you use high quality fuels and use fuel system cleaner periodically. If one goes bad, you change it, otherwise leave them alone unless you are upgrading the engine with mods that require more fuel than the injectors can put out.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

what brand of fuel system cleaner do you recommend? and what do you consider quality fuel?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    what brand of fuel system cleaner do you recommend? and what do you consider quality fuel?
    Quality fuel - name brand gasoline, such as BP, Shell, Sunoco, Hess, Chrevron, Amoco, Mobil. Avoid stations like Raceway, US Gas, Quick Check, ect. The quality of their fuels is often questionable.

For fuel system cleaner, I highly reccommend Chevron Techron. It has been proven to be one of the best fuel injector cleaners on the market. Gumout All-in-One is supposed to be decent, Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner is excellent, and a lot of people swear by Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, which is supposed to be very good as well. Personally, I use Chevron Techron.

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

^yeah I trust Lucas and haven't had a problem with it

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

^ +1 im running lucas...no problems

red
    94 Z28

Fuel bought from ANY name brand gas station has cleaners to help keep fuel systems clean. It dosn't hurt to add extra once and a while, but not necessary like it was years ago.

Re'

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

BG44K or Seafoam as cleaners.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

yah i read about the seafoam deal on tech just fill the tank up and dump a can in it ...this really work that good?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not the full can.
    1/3 of the can maybe, then fill up. Supposed to work very well.

I use in on the daily driver every 3rd oil change. 1/3 can in the gas tank, 1/3 can in the crankcase, and a 1/3 can sucked up into the top end of the motor.
    Cleared up a slight ping the grand am had.

White
    2001 Z28

I just put a full can of Seafoam in my wife's car. A 2003 Monte Carlo 3.8 V6 DD. Is that going to cause a problem?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I just put a full can of Seafoam in my wife's car. A 2003 Monte Carlo 3.8 V6 DD. Is that going to cause a problem?
    Where did you put it in?? The Gas tank, oil, or through a vacuum line?? Putting a full can in the gas tank or into a vacuum line is fine, I don't think I'd put the entire can in the oil though, unless it had a really big oil capacity or something.

silver

Gasoline today has preservatives and cleaners to keep your injectors running clean. If you look at your service manual it does not recommend the use of additives or cleaners. Injectors may or may not last the life of the vehicle but in most cases a problem injector is mechanical or electrical not plugging due to varnish or residue. I had two injectores that fail the flow test at idle and pass during higher RPM. If you are not having trouble, your good, if you think you are, have an injector flow test run at the dealership before you spend your money. It is good information to have and it may save you a bunch.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i would never put any of that shit in my car... there is no reason to... we don't have eaded fuel any more and fuel filters stop injectors from clogging...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I use Lucas or FP3000....most gasolines today have alcohol in them...no not E85 but good old alcohol to keep the moisture out...this dries the crap out of your injectors and your fuel pump.....The two brands I mention take 1oz per 5-10 gallons of gas.....and keep that pump/injectors operating to max performance.....and yes cleans carbon off your piston and combustion chamber very well.....all good things....but as stated above....Shell/Exxon/Texaco etc. top shelf companies have additives in them....but I run FP3000 or Lucas just to keep it all lubed up and running clean....and both work very well....I dont like SeaFoam as it is abrasive/caustic as hell and that is not good for your fuel pump.....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I use Lucas or FP3000....most gasolines today have alcohol in them...no not E85 but good old alcohol to keep the moisture out...this dries the crap out of your injectors and your fuel pump.....The two brands I mention take 1oz per 5-10 gallons of gas.....and keep that pump/injectors operating to max performance.....and yes cleans carbon off your piston and combustion chamber very well.....all good things....but as stated above....Shell/Exxon/Texaco etc. top shelf companies have additives in them....but I run FP3000 or Lucas just to keep it all lubed up and running clean....and both work very well....I dont like SeaFoam as it is abrasive/caustic as hell and that is not good for your fuel pump.....
    Seafoam is "abrasive and caustic"?? Please explain...

I believe the can says 100% pure petroleum.

Trans Am owner
    former

BP premium is the best quality pump gas you can buy.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

google "toptier fuel". GM, Toyota, BMW and a few others recomeend only certain brand fuels be used in their vehicles. Around here Shell and Chevron are the only TT fuels available. Chevron "Techron" is one of the best additives and is rebottled as a GM product you get at a dealer. Can also help with the fuel sending unit problems many GM products experience.

Thread Information