Red
    1987 Trans Am

When is a cam not safe for DD?

My buddy has a G5x3 and just loves it. I think I want it. My question is, how big can I go with 4.10's, six speed, Ls6 intake, Lts and corsa exhaust. I will get heads in a year or two.

I have Comp cams Push rods (do not remeber length, stock?) Comp Lifters and Comp 918s. Which cam should I go with?

T rex?
    MS3?
    G5x3?
    Comp?
    Crane?

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

You need to decide where you want the power range and how high you want to rev the motor. I wanted to keep the revs within the stock range and wanted to make my peak hp at 6,000 RPM. I also wanted a decent idle. These factors governed the cam selection for overlap, duration, etc. and really narrowed down the selections. A lot of guys will tell you to go big, I stayed with a smaller cam which is great on the street.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1987 View Post
    My buddy has a G5x3 and just loves it. I think I want it. My question is, how big can I go with 4.10's, six speed, Ls6 intake, Lts and corsa exhaust. I will get heads in a year or two.

I have Comp cams Push rods (do not remeber length, stock?) Comp Lifters and Comp 918s. Which cam should I go with?

T rex?
    MS3?
    G5x3?
    Comp?
    Crane?

Those 918s are not enough spring lift for the t-rex, ms3, or g5x3. You'll need a spring that lifts to .650 or better. Like comp 921s or TSP PRCs double springs. If your gonna keep those springs and use them, then there are more than adequate selections for cams. I would suggest a TSP 228r. If I had the springs already that's what I'd buy. Since I didn't, I got a cam package from TSP with the Torquer2 and PRC double springs. Good luck.

Rally Red
    2000 Camaro Z28

I could DD my car if I didn't have my Jeep and I have a cam that is bigger than the MS3 and the X3. DD quality is dependent on the tune. If you get a good tune then you can drive it all the time and be happy with it. Friend of mine DD his stalled auto with a MS3 for over a year until he got a second car that does better in the snow.

Thread Information