what's up with this headbolt?

This is a discussion on what's up with this headbolt? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Pulled the heads and had this on one of the bolts. Slight leak around that bolt hole or something?...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what's up with this headbolt?

Pulled the heads and had this on one of the bolts. Slight leak around that bolt hole or something?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

must be one of the head bolts from the center area of the head where oil pass over it. was it easier to loosen than the others?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    must be one of the head bolts from the center area of the head where oil pass over it. was it easier to loosen than the others?
    I don't remember it being easier if it was. I didn't even notice it until I pulled it all the way out of the head. It was from the center section on the passenger side.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

looks, to me, like it got oil past the head, over the years. it's too high up to be from a head gasket. for giggles, look around the head bolt hole to see if there's any deformaties on the surface.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The head surface looks fine around that bolt hole. It looks just like all the others. Anything to be concerned with or just keep going? I'm kinda wondering about those threads in the block now. I'll chase them.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

well, get it all cleaned out and have a look see inside the hole. is this the first time the heads have been off?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Yeah, this is the first time. It's definitely something that's built up over the years. I just chased the bolt hole and everything on that end seems to be fine. I'm waiting on my wife to get back from the store with a plastic scrub pad so I can get the rest of the graphite off of the block. I would feel comfortable bolting it back up now but I want to get it brand new kinda clean. I still have to swap out the cam but that's about all that's left then it's time to put it back together.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

don't blame you.

Thread Information