Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Whats the deal with "Piston Slap"?

This is a discussion on Whats the deal with "Piston Slap"? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Post it up! Wheres sarge!...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Post it up!
    Wheres sarge!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Patmans famous for it. His car's an LS1 too. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...017739&fpart=8 (3 posts down)

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

"don't have comparison numbers with the same engine being warmed up by lots of idling though, and I don't intend to, as I refuse to waste my money like that"

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Point is his analysis show low wear #s.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

True. Im not arguing to be a dick, just for the sake of getting the facts.
    Hell I agree with him.

BTW.. lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL...Patman knows more than anyone around here huh? OK....Pat is a good guy and he and I swap info from time to time......His LS1 is in Canada don't forget....totally different set of circumstances.....I don't warm up my engines....Oh I let em run for a few seconds to build Oil Pressure....but then I'm gone....I stay under 3000 RPM ( Or thereabouts) until the oil is up to temp....most any valve spring manufacturer will tell you that.....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    LOL...Patman knows more than anyone around here huh? OK....Pat is a good guy and he and I swap info from time to time......His LS1 is in Canada don't forget....totally different set of circumstances.....I don't warm up my engines....Oh I let em run for a few seconds to build Oil Pressure....but then I'm gone....I stay under 3000 RPM ( Or thereabouts) until the oil is up to temp....most any valve spring manufacturer will tell you that.....
    Sorry Sarge.
    Dont even know how that all started but according to Marc85Z28 you're destroying your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Sorry Sarge.
    Dont even know how that all started but according to Marc85Z28 you're destroying your engine.
    So do you have any real world experience with this, or do you just go by what you read on an internet forum? It's not like my experience is unique... Ask any GM tech that's reringed the early LS1 Corvettes how bad the #1 cylinder usually looks. Funny how GM used to demand a teardown on the engines being replaced for piston slap. They were looking for evidence of the concern. What do you think they were looking for? I'll bet an oil analysis was NOT part of it

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    So do you have any real world experience with this, or do you just go by what you read on an internet forum? It's not like my experience is unique... Ask any GM tech that's reringed the early LS1 Corvettes how bad the #1 cylinder usually looks. Funny how GM used to demand a teardown on the engines being replaced for piston slap. They were looking for evidence of the concern. What do you think they were looking for? I'll bet an oil analysis was NOT part of it
    Again back to piston slap? We were talking about your moronic statement about us not warming up our cars. Actually I do have experience here. I bought my car new in 01 and had piston slap since day one. Mine still runs. Strongly I might add.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

+1 add another to the list of piston slapping ls1s. I know Sarge is the man when it comes to oil, after his post i switched to PP 10-30. It seems this oil helped reduce the noise associated with piston slap in my car. Is there any oil treatment that might help reduce the noise any further?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    +1 add another to the list of piston slapping ls1s. I know Sarge is the man when it comes to oil, after his post i switched to PP 10-30. It seems this oil helped reduce the noise associated with piston slap in my car. Is there any oil treatment that might help reduce the noise any further?
    No reason to run any oil treatment in your car, I think even Sarge will back that up. It's just a noise.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    x2 ..i went with PP 5w-30 and its by far the best oil i ever used

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

what is this PP oil and where can I get it? I use Castrol 10w30. Dont really know if its right or wrong but thats what I use

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by oreowizard View Post
    what is this PP oil and where can I get it? I use Castrol 10w30. Dont really know if its right or wrong but thats what I use
    penzoil platinum

Red w/factory stripes
    02 camaro ss

YOU USE CASTROL 10W30. HOW DARE YOU! I USE CASTROL 10W40 haha

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

yea previous owner said it was piston slap in my 00 SS with 130 k but turned out to be rod knock 1 month later
    I listened to it very carefully when I bought it and heard but made a judgement call and bought it still, im glad I did but was hoping original motor would run longer!
    It had a very light knock only when started cold at first that ultimately lead to steady knock shortly after got the car. The knock was very quit and did only for a second when cold. I already had idea it could be rod bearing when I bought the car and got a smokin deal anyways so when it got worse I shut her down asap to prevent any further damage. As we speak im rebuilding the ls block from my Z28 with a ms4 cam which was taken out to make way for 6.0 and gona put it in my SS. Cant wait i'll have z together soon with 6.0 ms4 and nos and SS with 5.7 ms4 and new paint! Been a long and expensive journey but its all gona be worth it!
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-07-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

had the motor back together for a few months now and on a cold start there is a knocking sound. When the temp comes up the sound goes away? Sometimes under hard acceleration I can hear what seems to be the same sound. Any help?
    If it does it running at full temp and under acceleration, it could be rod knock thats what my ss did similar and turned out to be rod so I shut her down. Piston slap should only do when cold for a very short time and probably sounds a little different than rod bearing problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information