Black w/ Yellow
    2004 Rumble Bee

What year is my motor?

Hey all,

First timer around here, but from the posts I've been reading tonight, seems like a pretty friendly and knowledgable place.

I received a Gen III 5.7L/350 iron block from a friend of a friend. The source works at a dealership and got 3 long-blocks from recall swaps. He took the vortec heads off and sold them. The remaining three small blocks went to a friend of mine for free. And this friend gave one to me.

I'm using it in my boat to replace my '88 305 that had freeze damage 2 years ago. I've got the block disassembled and having it honed at shop right now. I'd like to reuse the stock roller cam and stock crank as they are in great shape. I purchased some #906 Vortec heads on ebay for it, and an Edelbrock 650cfm marine carb.

The problem is, I need distributor, new oil pump, new pushrods, etc... and I don't know what year the motor is. Does anyone know how I can find out what year my motor is? Is there some cross-reference availble to the block number?

I really appreciate anyones help... trying to get this thing running yet before summer is gone. Feel free to contact me personally (speakerman (at) rocketmail (dot) com) or PM me or post or whatever.

Thanks a lot guys and gals...
    Scott

It'll be all reg sbc components... Does the back look like this? http://www.trojanboats.net/images/1%...0seal%20GM.jpg If so its a 86 & up motors which should have roller lifters.

Black w/ Yellow
    2004 Rumble Bee

Thanks for the response...

It's in the shop right now, and my pics from the disassembly are at home - so, unfortunately, I'm not sure what it looks like. But, I do have roller cam/lifters - I disassembled the small-block personally.

I assumed it was "standard" components, but every place I call or talk to can't give me any part numbers without knowing the year of the engine. It's rather frustrating.

Thanks again for your help/time.
    Scott

Thread Information