Thread: What to use?

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

What to use?

I have recently found that I have an issue with my 7th cylinder, I believe it's a damaged lifter because I've eliminated the spring, rocker, and push rod as being the problem. So, I have to go deeper, the car has to stay a daily driver but I was considering doing a new cam/heads I'm not out for maximum power but rather just strengthening the weak points in the motor, with some gain. I'd like to also keep it budget friendly

Pontiac 2000 Trans Am LS1

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What lead you to this diagnosis?

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Well, when the valve is closed, theres noticable play in the rocker, and with a new pushrod and a different rocker arm, the play is still there, and I have checked the spring, however I haven't went deeper, so I'm thinking it has to be between the lifter and cam, and being that it's roller, I'd suspect lifter to go before cam lobe. I don't want to go crazy but the engine has ran over 150k, they were very easy miles and it was always cared for meticulously, but nevertheless. This issue has only reared on the seventh cylinder, and I did find a burnt 10.5mm taylor plug wire on that cylinder too, that was installed by the shop that put the headers on. It would occasionally throw a code for random misfires on that cylinder, but the car wasn't tuned after exhaust, so the SES light is always on, I'd have to catch it flash to know another code came up. I would like to get packed heads, a cam, and lifters/pushrods replaced, I don't want max performance, just would like it to be stronger than stock.

Thread Information