Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What type of cam?

This is a discussion on What type of cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey any help would be appreciated....im in school so i do not have much time to spend with the car ...

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

What type of cam?

Hey any help would be appreciated....im in school so i do not have much time to spend with the car this summer, but i was looking foward to putting a cam in there...dont want to touch the haeds, for now alteast becuase it seems like they are can hold...im only planning on doing the cam, converter...maybe a 4000 stall...and 373 in the rear..i have full exhaust and intake....but my problem is cams, never really understood them, very complicated...but i would like a fairly poppy cam without wrrying bout trouble with the motor down the line so basically the most fit for a stock block...prlly do a lot of street, a lil strip...car is an 02 SS (a4) any input would help

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by sstud View Post
    Hey any help would be appreciated....im in school so i do not have much time to spend with the car this summer, but i was looking foward to putting a cam in there...dont want to touch the haeds, for now alteast becuase it seems like they are can hold...im only planning on doing the cam, converter...maybe a 4000 stall...and 373 in the rear..i have full exhaust and intake....but my problem is cams, never really understood them, very complicated...but i would like a fairly poppy cam without wrrying bout trouble with the motor down the line so basically the most fit for a stock block...prlly do a lot of street, a lil strip...car is an 02 SS (a4) any input would help
    do the cam, converter, and gears together if at all possible because on an auto, they really should compliment each other for the best performance.

more info....???
    power goals
    drivability
    idle
    cam only or heads/cam car
    under the curve
    peak power
    large cam
    smaller cam
    $

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

im lookin to be around 500hp with a bit more torque ... by the time im done with everything...i could use a little help with deciding what parts may worrk together for best performance...as for drivability..its going to be garaged in bad weather (rain, cold, winter) so basically just a summer car...just looking to do cam right now, but will eventually build up car after college when i have more time...i would like a larger cam and price is not a problem...i figure i would rather spend more and not have to worry about reliabilty and power than spend less and be not satisfied...im thinking the torque converter will help me in low to mid range rpm, so maybe the cam would work mid to hig range rpm

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

im lookin to be around 500hp with a bit more torque ... by the time im done with everything...i could use a little help with deciding what parts may worrk together for best performance...as for drivability..its going to be garaged in bad weather (rain, cold, winter) so basically just a summer car...just looking to do cam right now, but will eventually build up car after college when i have more time...i would like a larger cam and price is not a problem...i figure i would rather spend more and not have to worry about reliabilty and power than spend less and be not satisfied...im thinking the torque converter will help me in low to mid range rpm, so maybe the cam would work mid to hig range rpm

ur not gonna make anywhere near 500hp w/o heads

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    ur not gonna make anywhere near 500hp w/o heads
    truth.

to sstud, if money is no object, the best advice i can give you is to call comp cams, texas speed, patriot, or some other shop and tell them your wants and take suggestions on the right h/c combo. it will make a world of difference.

you really would benefit tremendously from heads though.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If money is no objct, i would go with a set of AFR heads. Then i would get on the phone with texas speed and ask about their MS4. Or just getta custom cam for your specs. However, u might have to flycut ur pistons with the MS4. My friend has a g5x3 and stage 3 LS6 p/p heads and he made 442 to the wheels in his SS. Keep in mind power aint everything. I hope you have $ put away for full suspension and a moser 12 bolt

Pewter
    2000 z28

thats a pricey set up man!!

and i really dont like the ms4, but im a hater at heart.....

maybe if i had more cubes id reconsider...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    thats a pricey set up man!!

and i really dont like the ms4, but im a hater at heart.....

maybe if i had more cubes id reconsider...
    i aint a big fan of it either. Prolly the worst daily driver cam u could buy. The thing i hate about it is that it doesnt make power until u rev up realy high. Believe it or not there have been races between to "cam only" cars and a car with less specs than the MS4 beat it in a race. Either way im not gonna argue its a very nasty and rude cam, iv seen one in a WS6 break 11.5. CAM ONLY

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

thanks for the info guys...haha maybe 500 is a lil exagerated without doing heads...i failed to mention that i have eibach lowever springs and a stb...but of course i will work on the suspension much more to compensate for the increase in power...if i did the cam converter and gears, how much would u suspect the car to put out?

Pewter
    2000 z28

thanks for the info guys...haha maybe 500 is a lil exagerated without doing heads...i failed to mention that i have eibach lowever springs and a stb...but of course i will work on the suspension much more to compensate for the increase in power...if i did the cam converter and gears, how much would u suspect the car to put out?
    know way of knowing without cam specs, converter stall speed, and what gears....

get sub frame connectors, lower control arms, panhardt rod, and torque arm for suspension. if money is no object i would get a tubular k member also. keep er lightweight...

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

yea im thinkgin about doing a 3600 stall...373 gears...i know that i wanna do a powerful mid to high end cam...just gotta establish what the best is for my situation

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

would anyone have an idea of how much install would be if i did h/c?

i was also thinking on Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft T-ReX v.2 - 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa once i did the gears and torque converter...any thoughts?
    Last edited by sstud; 07-28-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

verry true ur not gonna know exact untill u put it in there and strap it on a dyno. We can guess, but that is a ballpark figure. Dont forget a nice dyno tune, to make full use of that cam. It aint cheap, but its almost a must after major internal engine work. Last thing, a stall is gonna eat up HP like crazy, but dont be dissapointed. What ur car loses in hp on the dyno, will more than make up for going down the racetrack. The right stall can slash off nearly a full second of ur et

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

on average a shop would cost about $1,000 to swap out h/c. Its really not that hard, iv done a few in my friend(s) LS1 cars. However u must be a little mechanically inclined. Take ur time, get the tools, find a nice garage and GO TO WORK

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

If it was me I wouldn't go anywhere near another Moser 12-bolt. I would go with any 9-inch or if it has to be a 12-bolt go with Strange or something. The Moser 12-bolt has bolts that thread into the axle housing and even their own website says not even threadlocker will substitute for regular inspection of the bolts. Also I believe Spohn won't guarantee their torque arm when used with the Moser 12-bolt. The Moser 9-inch has the through bolts though. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing Moser at all but I have had to put the ass-end of my WS-6 in the air to get under there and re-torque those bolts more times then I care to count. The 9-inch is stronger and maybe a little less cost. I think Strange switched to a new axle design. Maybe someone else will put their experiences in too. Sorry for the long-windedness.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

thanks...so any thoughts on that cam?

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

that cam is by no means a mild cam for the stock ls1 block... its more of a mild cam for an ls2 block.. with that being said... you can do it but dont expect the ride to be smooth or comfortable... its going to be mean, sound like a demon from hell, and chop the hell out of you at idle.. which some people love/some people hate... me personally i love it.. im looking into doing one with stock heads and later on change the heads... you can do it but you will need to do ls2 timing chain and ls6 oil pump, and some springs... you will see some decent numbers... i have seen people make 450rwhp with a darn good tune with stock heads and that cam... buttt remember you have auto so that wont show on the dyno

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

yea thats exactly what im looking for...i love the intense muscle car feel...especially at idle...its not gonna be a dd by any means so i would enjoy having an addition like that...also thats wat i wanna do with the heads...eventually do them down the line...seems like a solid plan
    somewhere around 450 rwhp is a good deal

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

well keep in mind 450rwhp would require some strong supporting mods.. so make sure to calculate those in

Black
    99 SS

to be totally honest, what you want to do will require a LARGE sum of money, i have been down your path, here is my suggestion, put in the cam I had in my Z28. if i can remember right it was a 228/230-558-598. 112LSA.

I used stock heads, had a 3,000 stall from EDGERACING converters. and stock gears(shitty) and full exhaust(borla CB) http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAJqkpAyF1U

or if you just want a good lope and tone, go with the GM hot cam.

p.s. i made 400rwhp with the cam, and exhaust, and good tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information