blue
    2002 ws6

what are some good head cam packages

ok i dont think ive ever posted here but i read a lot and it seems that you guys are real good .. ive been looking up some heads and cam packages through the search but havent really found what im looking for .... so this is what i am looking for some good head and cam packages (for example thunderracings cheater package)

this is my set up so far
    2002 ws6
    m6
    dynatech full length with highflow cats
    borla cat back
    air lid
    rest of engine is stock and right now untuned

i am looking for what most seem to about 400 - 450 rwhp
    i dont want to brake the bank unless needed so what setups have you all been running as far as cam and heads and with what outcome ... and what are some good complete kits that i could buy ... any advice is welcomed

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Texas Speed has some great packages.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=15

Good luck.
    Bill

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

The cheater package should get you over 400 hp. With an UD pulley and tune you should be looking at somewhere around the 425 area.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

blue
    2002 ws6

texas looks cool but is the heads the same as say patriot heads???
    and i do like the cheater set up from thunderracing cause it seems to be a good price for afr heads and a cam ... has anyone used this package and if it does get me around 425 thats not that bad

maroon
    2000 Z28

If you want more power, just upgrade from the cheater cam to something larger. I'm running the Trak cam and put down 435 through an auto and it has good street manners. With an M6 you can be looking at somewhere near 450.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I was in the same boat a few months ago and I decided to go with a Trick Flow cam (see my sig below) and the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L heads from Texas Speed.

The cam kit with springs and pushrods was just short of $500 and the heads were $1032 shipped to the door (the price was reduced by $200 because I purchased the valve springs with my cam kit). The car is going in the shop this evening for the head swap and an updated tune, so I'll let you know what I put down, however I anticipate it will be in the 420 - 425 rwhp range despite having a cam with good street manners.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to accomplish and how you plan to get there. I was debating on getting the AFR or TFS heads (as opposed to the PRCs), however I decided that saving the extra $1,200 on the heads would be enough to buy a very nice N2O setup.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

blue
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    If you want more power, just upgrade from the cheater cam to something larger. I'm running the Trak cam and put down 435 through an auto and it has good street manners. With an M6 you can be looking at somewhere near 450.
    thats not a bad idea i wonder if thunder will let u swap the cam and still have the same price for the package ... also wonder if u would end up using the same push rods as u would with the cheater cam

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to accomplish and how you plan to get there. I was debating on getting the AFR or TFS heads (as opposed to the PRCs), however I decided that saving the extra $1,200 on the heads would be enough to buy a very nice N2O setup.
    how are the prc heads compared to the afr .. can u juice the prc heads with no worries like the afr .. or should the rule of thumb be if ur gunna be N/A than prc is the way to go if ur gunna be juiced or forced induction than afr is the way to go ... ive heard that a few times with patriot compaired to afr

thanks for the imput so far guys

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ws6race View Post
    thats not a bad idea i wonder if thunder will let u swap the cam and still have the same price for the package ... also wonder if u would end up using the same push rods as u would with the cheater cam

Yeah, it'll be the same hardened pushrods. Make sure the length is correct for the heads though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ws6race View Post

how are the prc heads compared to the afr .. can u juice the prc heads with no worries like the afr .. or should the rule of thumb be if ur gunna be N/A than prc is the way to go if ur gunna be juiced or forced induction than afr is the way to go ... ive heard that a few times with patriot compaired to afr

thanks for the imput so far guys
    While I don't have side by side dyno results to prove it, the general consensus is that the PRC heads are proven performers that have netted impresive gains, howver they will leave a bit of power on the table when compared to the AFR heads (which are regarded as one of the best aftermarket heads for a LS1). If you are building a strip car and want to squeeze every possible bit out of the motor, I'd definitely recommend the AFR's. Personally, I wanted about 30 rwhp from my head swap and I wanted to do it on a budget, so I went with the PRC's for $1,032 shipped as opposed to $2,300 for the AFRs. For my purposes, I don't mind missing out on 7 - 10 extra rwhp with my heads when a 150 rwhp shot of N20 will be more than sufficient to make up the difference.

As far as me getting the 30 rwhp from the head swap I was looking for, I should know for certain either this afternoon or sometime later on Monday....the car is in the shop right now.

As for "the juice"....the PRC heads will be just fine with a 150 rwhp shot. It was very important for me to build a setup that will work well N/A, as well as on the bottle. I feel confident the setup I have below will be just fine.

Thread Information