boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

what should i go with for power?

im looking at either replacing my motor with maybe an LS2, or throwing a stroker kit (383) in mine. what would be the best bang for my buck? Im not doing the stroker kit myself so im not sure if that would be cheaper. any suggestions? thanks.

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

cmon

i know there are some good opinions out there. lets here em.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I want to hear them as well. Semper Fi, devil dog!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

What are your end goals for power? Street or strip?

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackwidow99 View Post
    What are your end goals for power? Street or strip?
    basically for the street.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

why not just put heads and cam on your current motor?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    why not just put heads and cam on your current motor?
    i got pretty high miles on my block. like around 150k. should i go with a head and cam package (how much extra hp would that give, and should i just go with the ls6 package for that or somethin else?), or save my money until it takes a dump?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I don't mean to still your thread but I also want to do the same thing. Whats a good heads/cam package to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Semperfiws6
    i got pretty high miles on my block. like around 150k. should i go with a head and cam package (how much extra hp would that give, and should i just go with the ls6 package for that or somethin else?), or save my money until it takes a dump?
    Mileage is irrelevant if the engine has been taken care of throughout. Run a compression check first, and if all is good, pull the heads and have the stockers worked to achieve desired DCR/SCR. Matching cam (based on your preference) and intake, and you'll make more power than any LS6 package could ever dream....

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Mileage is irrelevant if the engine has been taken care of throughout. Run a compression check first, and if all is good, pull the heads and have the stockers worked to achieve desired DCR/SCR. Matching cam (based on your preference) and intake, and you'll make more power than any LS6 package could ever dream....
    what do you mean have the stockers worked to achieve desired DCR/SCR?

what do you mean have the stockers worked to achieve desired DCR/SCR?
    Depending on where you want the power in your RPM band, you will need to determine which camshaft, along with how much shaving of your stock heads (along with port work), to achieve desired dynamic/static compression levels, will get you where you want to go. There's hidden performance in your stock heads, trust me. Symmetry is the key....

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Depending on where you want the power in your RPM band, you will need to determine which camshaft, along with how much shaving of your stock heads (along with port work), to achieve desired dynamic/static compression levels, will get you where you want to go. There's hidden performance in your stock heads, trust me. Symmetry is the key....
    where can i get that done at? what am i looking at for cost?

where can i get that done at? what am i looking at for cost?
    Look around your neighborhood for a credible machine shop, but know what your having done to them, before-hand. Do not let anyone dictate to you what you need to do with them. Do some research, determine the camshaft that you want to utilize, then "adapt" your stock heads to your selection. It's all about valvetrain harmony....

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Look around your neighborhood for a credible machine shop, but know what your having done to them, before-hand. Do not let anyone dictate to you what you need to do with them. Do some research, determine the camshaft that you want to utilize, then "adapt" your stock heads to your selection. It's all about valvetrain harmony....
    where can i get started on educating myself?

where can i get started on educating myself?

Click Here, David Vizard is the guru....

Familiarize yourself with the concept of proper Dynamic and Static compression levels, camshaft duration, lift and overlap. Try to contemplate what the valvetrain actually does, and why it's so IMPERATIVE that things work together in harmony. It's more than just having a great tune....

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I guess the thing I would have to ask is how much are you wanting to spend on this?????? While the LSX based motors are great 150K miles is 150K miles......there will be some wear in the motor even it you have taken care of the motor.....oil changes and such..........lets say you want to spend $5K on a motor....well I'd start with the new LSX block from GM Performance. Rated at 2500hp and price for the block starts at $1900......throw in a head and cam package, internals and you have the makings of a very bad motor........now it will probably go over $5K once all is said and done but in the end you will have a motor you can improve on in years to come....like adding a turbo, nitrous, etc......

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Click Here, David Vizard is the guru....

Familiarize yourself with the concept of proper Dynamic and Static compression levels, camshaft duration, lift and overlap. Try to contemplate what the valvetrain actually does, and why it's so IMPERATIVE that things work together in harmony. It's more than just having a great tune....
    thanks bro., awesome article. ive been looking for something like this for a while. i appreciate the help.

Thread Information