Red
    2000 Camaro SS

What should I do first?

I was thinking about going with a heads and cam package, but a few of my buddies that went that route blew their rears out within a few weeks. Would it be wise to go with the rear first? Any input or experiences are appreciated.

Nick

It depends on your driving habits and how often you get on it..........do you have an M6 or an auto? track driving, or any racing......weekend car or daily driver?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

H/C rear's are a must, I know first hand

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

My car is a 2000 SS with the M6. I usually only drive it during nice weather and summer. The car only has 8000 miles right now, mainly because of school I have no time to enjoy it. Most of my miles lately have been at the strip, but I want to build a street/strip car that I can enjoy on and off the track.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

it might be a good idea to have the money for it saved up, but why replace it when it aint broke, unless you want to try and sell the stock stuff to get some money back, just wait til it goes and then fix it.

2006 TrailBlazer SS

I have heard you should build a car from the back to the front.When the time comes for big power you have all the supporting mods to go with it.

In that case you will need a rear end sooner rather than later. In some cases when you launch hard a lot with an M6 even if stock......pop goes the ten bolt.

keep the ten bolt rear for now and add all the bolts on's like sub frame connectors,panhard bar,adj torque arm, control arms with poly bushings, and a shock tower brace .I have all BMR bolts on my 01 ws6 ,head and cam package with a 12 bolt,but you dont have have a 12 bolt for starters.Make everything you have stronger then make the power.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

dont hard launch the car after the h/c install and youll be fine
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Beast
    I say go for the H/C, but leave regular old street radials on it for now. After all, you can't break the rear if you aren't hooking hard enough to put strain on it right? So you get the regular amount of spin off of the line, but your ET's improve because of your speed at the end of the track.

I'm speaking completely in theory... I don't have the money to do a H/C package or a rear end... but it sounds logical.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you plan on making big power in the future and not getting rid of the car and want to have peace of mind then i say get the rear. thats the smartest thing you can do!! Im about to put new heads and a bigger cam than before in and im worried about breaking my rear everytime i take off! It can go at any minute with my m6. Because of still having the stock rear, my launches suck 3k max!! so ill never get the times i should have till i get my 9" if you dont plan on making huge power or taking it to the track too often, then opt for the heads and cam only if you have supporting boltons.

LS1 is the only one...

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I say do a H/C, drive it until your rearend goes out then dump it and put a 9 in or a Moser 12 under it.

Black
    2002 Camaro

I speak from wise and expensive experience.... Replace your week parts before adding gobs of power. Its no secret that the stock rear-end 10-Bolt is a piece of junk. I have broken gears, twisted axles, broken axles, split bearing wide open, and even cracked a housing on my old 86 IROC that had a 10-Inch unit from a 01 TA. I thought it was a bargain for $250.00 and thought for sure it would hold up to 450 HP...... I WAS WRONG. I would spend your money on a Strange 12-Bolt bolt-in unit and keep it all GM that way. The unit bolts right in with no special shit required, and takes less power to operate than the Ford 9-Inch. Yes the Ford unit is by far the strongest unit available but if you belong to this forum then you better keep it all GM.
    Last edited by CamaroCrazyChris; 11-02-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

First step in making power is getting air.......good set of heads

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

New idea.......STS Turbo system....Yes or no?

Black
    99 SS

do the rear first, start at the weakest piont and work up.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

what do you have done to ur car already? do all the good bolt ons first, ported t/b, ls6 intake, lid, full exhuast... if u dont have that done don't bother with a h/c or turbo setup yet. and if your planning on makin this kinda power (im assuming your shootin for 400+ rwhp) you definitly wanna do things like sfc and suspension so you can get the power to the ground.

Thread Information