Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what kind of power with this cam

This is a discussion on what kind of power with this cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im still collecting parts as i can afford, when i do change it "this winter" im hoping to have the ...

pewter
    1999 trans am

im still collecting parts as i can afford, when i do change it "this winter" im hoping to have the intake and heads also.
    i drive it everyday rightnow so i dont want to tear it apart and not get it done in a weekend. i always have something go wrong when i work on things ie.. need this or that..

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mxlplx71 View Post
    im still collecting parts as i can afford, when i do change it "this winter" im hoping to have the intake and heads also.
    i drive it everyday rightnow so i dont want to tear it apart and not get it done in a weekend. i always have something go wrong when i work on things ie.. need this or that..
    Get a catback while your at it, or just install cut outs.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

with 3:42 gears, instead losing 18% to the wheels you may lose only 15% with 4:10 gears and the dyno will show more hp to the wheels. gears and u/p do the same thing they use more or less power to spin/turn the over all drivetran.

so if your motor spins the wheel on the dyno and the dyno show 350whp. add 4:10 gears and u/p and the amount of hp used to turn the wheels will be less therefore showing an increase in hp to the wheel may by 10 to 15whp.
    Last edited by SPDYGON; 07-28-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post
    with 3:42 gears, instead losing 18% to the wheels you may lose only 15% with 4:10 gears and the dyno will show more hp to the wheels. gears and u/p do the same thing they use more or less power to spin/turn the over all drivetran.

so if your motor spins the wheel on the dyno and the dyno show 350whp. add 4:10 gears and u/p and the amount of hp used to turn the wheels will be less therefore showing an increase in hp to the wheel may by 10 to 15whp.
    Gears DO NOT increase hp period, wheather on a chasis dyno, mustang dyno, engine dyno etc... Why do you think ppl who have 9'/12 bolts with steep gears lose power? Your getting confused. The lower the gear the more drivetrain loss it loses. The pulley has nothing to do with the drivetrain. All a pulley does is reduce the amount of power needed for accesssories. Example: Alternator, Power Steering etc...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Gears DO NOT increase hp period, wheather on a chasis dyno, mustang dyno, engine dyno etc... Why do you think ppl who have 9'/12 bolts with steep gears lose power? Your getting confused. The lower the gear the more drivetrain loss it loses.
    you are correct. ^

pewter
    1999 trans am

will i need custom lenth pushrods? and will i be ok on piston clearance?

98' trans am

will i need custom lenth pushrods? and will i be ok on piston clearance?
    always..always check pushrod lengths. yes you will. once you get pushrod lengths then we can start to find out how your ptv clearance is

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You will need new pushrods, but I dont know what you mean by "custom". Most cam packages come with springs and pushrods. I doubt you will have any PTV clearance problems. You can always mill the heads/fly cut the pistons if needed but I doubt you will have to.

98' trans am

look up how to check ptv clearance..it really isnt that hard.

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

say motor is a 500 hp ls1, if you have stock ( oem ) car , every one says that about 18% hp loss on a camaro. that is 90 hp loss on the stock camaro and will put you at 410whp.
    so if you install 4:10 gears your loss will be around 15% therefore showing more whp. i am not saying or it does not mean that your 500hp motor now makes 590hp at crank your motor is still a 500hp motor

pewter
    1999 trans am

this post is for my questions on a cam, not driveline loss. thanks for the help and usefull info

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post
    say motor is a 500 hp ls1, if you have stock ( oem ) car , every one says that about 18% hp loss on a camaro. that is 90 hp loss on the stock camaro and will put you at 410whp.
    so if you install 4:10 gears your loss will be around 15% therefore showing more whp. i am not saying or it does not mean that your 500hp motor now makes 590hp at crank your motor is still a 500hp motor
    LOL, dude I dont know what else to say. If you think you can increase hp by adding gears then go do so. But I am telling you now YOU WILL NOT add horsepower by gears. If your adding gears to a 410 whp car, you are losing15% ON THAT NUMBER, not the original 500 that you started out with.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

this post is for my questions on a cam, not driveline loss. thanks for the help and usefull info
    LOL calm down, you already got the info you needed. Its not like he completley turned the thread around. Depsite me trying to help him understand, I dont think anything was diverted from your thread.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

One more post about rear end gears will result in a points infraction.. consider this post your no points warning.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

All right, sorry. If the guy wants to he can make one in the drivetrain section.

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

i ported my throttle body and ground down the bump stop so it fully opened and my car with catback and cai trapped 110mph ran 12's put an underdrive pulley on and trap 112 .15 quicker e.t. oh yeah it helps dyno number suck might as well be bench racin ran her only thing it helps is base line tune

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information