Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

this is what i found in my engine......... :(

This is a discussion on this is what i found in my engine......... :( within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; found a stock 5.3 with 80k miles for $500......seriously considering putting this in my car....what would it take to get ...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

found a stock 5.3 with 80k miles for $500......seriously considering putting this in my car....what would it take to get it back up to ls1 hp specs..??

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

5.3's are stout engines. That's what powers our 6,200 lb. Suburban dragging another 6,500 lbs. worth of car and trailer. It'll probably have the truck intake and not sure what reluctor on the crank.

pewter
    99 trans am

reluctor is 24th so should work...i read that the only modification i need to do is drill and tap a hole to bolt up the alternator...other than that its a direct drop in replacement....dont even need a tune...just wondering what kind of power it will make with ls1 intake, lid, and headers ...

pewter
    99 trans am

i also read that 5.3 crank and rods are the same as ls1......and they are way cheaper...so perhaps i may go that route if i rebuild

Well, it's not going to make the power that a 5.7 makes simply because you'll be down about 20 cubes. Probably worth 25 hp and tq (or a little more) in the end. Doesn't mean the 5.3 is a bad engine though.

The 5.3 does use the same crank (same stroke) as the 5.7, the 5.3 just has a much smaller bore. If you are using the cast iron 5.3 block, it can be bored to the 3.900 dimension of the 5.7 and then you'll have your 5.7 with no other changes. But that's machine work, pistons, balance etc.....so it's still money spent.

For what it's worth there was a dyno session of a stock 5.3 truck engine. Truck intake and all and that thing hit 363 hp at the flywheel and the torque was 370ish (after a computer tune). Before the tune it was 340ish HP. So a tune alone was worth 20+ HP on that engine.
    That same dyno a couple years back had a 5.7 LS1 GM crate engine that was also stock, with a passenger car intake of course, and with a tune it hit right at 400 hp at the flywheel.

These figures are of course with no accessories on an engine dyno in a controlled environment. But it gives you an idea of the potential of these engines and the HP difference between the two.

pewter
    99 trans am

i just dont think i would be happy with the 5.3 as a direct replacement without spending money on it...im perfectly fine with the ls1 in stock form, so perhaps ill be using 5.3 crank in the ls1....but it does seem like a good deal on that engine..

Ouch! Spend $500 on a 5.3 just to rob the crank out of it? And it would still be best to turn it first before tossing it in, not to mention a rebalance would be needed since that crank is balanced for smaller pistons. For that money spent you could buy a brand new rotating assembly I listed above for your 5.7 and have a 383.

Either way cut it, you'll still need gaskets and bolts and machine work. Seems like you are trying to create a hole heap of work for yourself with no gain.

pewter
    99 trans am

no im not sayin to buy the 5.3 to get the crank....im sayin that engine is an option ..or i could ust buy a 5.3 crank and put it in my ls1 since i can find them cheaper.

85 Buick GN

Why not get a 6.0? more cubes and big bore.....then L92 heads and intake later.

A 5.3 crank, even if in usable shape and cheaper, would still need to be sent to a machine shop and rebalanced for your 5.7 rotating assembly, just a heads up that there is more money to be spent before using it.

Turbodave has a great point. If you are looking at another engine as an option, the 6.0 is the way to go. I bought mine with 80,000 miles and a warranty complete with all accessories, wiring, computer, for $1200 through a major supplier. These things run like stink with alot of grunt for a little 364.

When my wifes camaro needs a new engine, I'm not going to bother with the 5.7 in it. I'll do a fresh shortblock from Texas speed in the form of a 408 stroker based off the 6.0 truck engine. Then build the rest to suit me.

You have alot of options. It just depends on what you want to spend, and I know that's always the deciding factor.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    These things run like stink with alot of grunt for a little 364.

Nicely said.

pewter
    99 trans am

again, money is a factor since my "boss" is frugle with what she agrees we can spend. i may end up just droppin the 5.3 in there...if i could get a 6 liter for less than $1k, then id condsider that,but i would just drop it in as well without any mods.

Gotta keep the boss happy I can understand that.

You should be able to find a 6.0 under a grand, with higher miles and stripped of it's accessories (you don't need those anyway) there is no reason why it shouldn't be priced under a grand.

Like I said, I searched for a year to find one with 80,000 or less miles, and those are priced higher. Plus I bought the entire truck accessory drive with PS pump, AC pump, alternator, all belts and hoses, intake with throttle body, exhaust manifolds, complete wiring, computer, gas pedal and module for drive-by-wire, air intake setup, MAF, flexplate, coil packs. Basically everything to make it run. I paid $1200 for all that from LKQ, a nationwide supplier whom is located in every state.

You don't need any of the junk I bought since you'll swap all your 5.7 stuff over. You just need a long block, and they are much cheaper like that.

You wouldn't be disappointed with the power output of the 6.0 in stock form. Drop it in and go and it should run better than the 5.7 that came out. They use the same camshaft that the 01-02 F-bodies used, and with an LS6 intake on there it should be a screamer.

I run a 6.0 in my 72 blazer, in stock form down to the exhaust manifolds, truck intake and all, just a custom SD tune by yours truly, and I'm tickled with how it runs. I giggle everytime I mash the throttle.

pewter
    99 trans am

you guys got my wheels turnin about the 6 liter now....time to check the classifieds

Easiest place to find them is LKQ. Just hit their website, they have a locator for every state so there should be one near you.
    Your local LKQ will have their inventory listed for you, so you can see what they have and the mileage on each with a price range. They pull it and strap it onto a skid ready for pickup.

Much easier and cheaper to find them with over 100,000 miles. If that doesn't bother you then they should have some sitting around.

Just talked to a guy that recently purchased his 6.0 through LKQ.
    He got the complete engine/harness/computer/transmission/gas pedal and control box/ as well as the front seats out of the truck, all for $1800

Not sure on the mileage but it looks like a good deal.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

That's a pretty good deal. Definately something to consider.

pewter
    99 trans am

1800 is a little steep around christmas time....i talked to a guy with a 5.3 with 91k miles and wants $500.....he has all the paper work from when he bought it from lkq a year ago...been sitting in his garage all year...i may just do that for now...maybe throw a cam in later or something...

Yeah this time of year is a great time for deals, problem is people don't want to spend the money.

If you are serious, I'd give LKQ a call in your area. I'm willing to bet they have a 6.0 sitting there, and you wouldn't pay much more than that $500 you are looking at for a 5.3

$1,800 was for much more stuff than just an engine. Like I said, I paid $1200 for a 6.0 with 80,000 miles complete with accessories, accessory drive, computer, harness, literally everything to make it run. I was only showing those examples to give you an idea of how cheap LKQ is on their stuff. Strip that down to a bare bones long block 6.0 without accessories (that's all you need) and the price drops substantially, especially if mileage doesn't scare you. Only way to know is call. I'd persue those avenues before I'd settle on a $500 5.3. Would't cost anything to pick up the phone and try. At least you have that 5.3 to fall back on.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-13-2011 at 07:35 AM.

pewter
    99 trans am

i talked to the boss this morning...explained to her that rebuilding the ls1 is just not cost effective....also explained that a 5.3 would get it on the road, but i would be unsatisfied...she agreed...i told her that at minimum i would settle for a ready to run stock 6.0, and that i am prepared to spend around $1200....she agreed and so now my search is focused on a 6 liter....lkq has one for $1250...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information