Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What Heads?

This is a discussion on What Heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Fact is, you need the larger valves to make the 5.3's worth anything. TS something something ...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Fact is, you need the larger valves to make the 5.3's worth anything. TS something something LMNO P seemed to think it would not clear, not that I care really. The MS series is such a damn slouch on the street. I like my torque too much to give it away for 6000+ RPM HP.
    thats why i suggested the ls6 styles... bigger valves, and you can mill to bump up some compresion and be better off all the way around....

agreed, the torquer series are way better for streetability....

Black
    2001 camaro ss

Thanks for all the help guys. Things have changed some now on a tighter budget here so what would you recommend for the best gains for the $$ and where can i order them?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy82188 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. Things have changed some now on a tighter budget here so what would you recommend for the best gains for the $$ and where can i order them?
    PRC from Texas Speed.....

Might also look into some Partiot heads....

red
    2000 camaro ss

best bang for your buck would be to port your 241's yourself and stick some nice 2.02 / 1.6 valves in there, and mill the decks .030 which would yield a 10.9 comp ratio. right there is the best bang for the buck and works great on stock cubes. you live in md, where?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you live in md, where?
    Hmm, I'm in Crofton where are you at? Are you on E.F.A.?

Black
    2001 camaro ss

yea I thought about just buildin my 241's up but im not sure where to get it done? i live right near hancock md. any ideas just send them somwhere or you know a place?

red
    2000 camaro ss

my mom grew up in hancock 'n i go to green ridge all the time. i'm in north harford county. honestly, if you are patient with your dremel, you can do the same stuff a shop will do w/o them chargin you through your johnson. you can put 2.02/1.6 valves in the fact ls1 heads with no bowl modification, and cleanin' up ports is about all you need to do with stock cubes to make a nice 400+ wheel setup.

Black
    2001 camaro ss

oh thats cool i also ride at green ridge too. I thought about that but im still nervous about tearin into it myself lol

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy82188 View Post
    oh thats cool i also ride at green ridge too. I thought about that but im still nervous about tearin into it myself lol
    well what do ya got to lose? if youre lookin to buy another casting, might as well see what you can do with your stockers.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm loookin to port some heads on a budget and do it myself just as a fun project. I have a tsp 228r cam. What casting do ya'll reccomend for that? ls6 or 5.3L, i think i'd rather do it with stock 241's on the car and just swap the new ones over so my car isn't down as long. i'll prolly make a thread on this as time goes on so if i'm thread jacking sorry just ignore me.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    I'm loookin to port some heads on a budget and do it myself just as a fun project. I have a tsp 228r cam. What casting do ya'll reccomend for that? ls6 or 5.3L, i think i'd rather do it with stock 241's on the car and just swap the new ones over so my car isn't down as long. i'll prolly make a thread on this as time goes on so if i'm thread jacking sorry just ignore me.
    well the ls6 heads will produce more power ultimately, however, my advise would be to purchase the casting you find for cheapest. if you can find a deal on any of them, then jump on it. both ls6 and 5.3 will yield a compression ratio increase, but the 5.3's will NEED a valve swap.

bottom line: whatever you come across for cheapest, then that's your best bang-for-the buck combo, since you will be modifying them anyway.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks for the info side2000. With my cam size do you imagine i'll see significant gains? I'll be doin more research on the forums and the with the people in the machine shop i'll be doin this in so i'll be back with more questions haha.
    2001 SS M6 black
    lid, ported tb, tsp228r (228/228 .588/.588 112 lsa), lt's, ory, elec. cutout and a tune from Vengeance Racing (i highly reccomend them)
    386 rwhp 368rwtq

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    Thanks for the info side2000. With my cam size do you imagine i'll see significant gains? I'll be doin more research on the forums and the with the people in the machine shop i'll be doin this in so i'll be back with more questions haha.
    2001 SS M6 black
    lid, ported tb, tsp228r (228/228 .588/.588 112 lsa), lt's, ory, elec. cutout and a tune from Vengeance Racing (i highly reccomend them)
    386 rwhp 368rwtq

hell yes, that cam (despite being "mid range" duration) is certainly choked by your untouched heads. you should see 20+ horse gain from some healthier heads (even more depending on the extent of work). just the higher compression ratio from head work will yield a more ravenous motor. add higher flow to the equation and you will easily see WELL over 400 wheel.

by the way, you're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information