Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Heads?

This is a discussion on What Heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Im trying to pick a good set of heads to go with my magic stick 3 cam i have already. ...

Black
    2001 camaro ss

What Heads?

Im trying to pick a good set of heads to go with my magic stick 3 cam i have already. I have all the bolt ons stock bottom end m6 car. Any advice ? I was looking at the afr 205cc heads........the ones i have now are 241 casting. Let me know what you think!

Black
    2001 camaro ss

Anyone here???

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

look around and do a search. usually the tsp prc stage 2.5 5.3 liter heads are popular

Black
    2001 camaro ss

i have looked around im just lookin for experienced advice before i buy.

red
    2000 camaro ss

if you got the money for AFR's you will NOT be disappointed. if youre goin to up the cubes of your bottom end in near future i wouldn't go with an expensive aftermarket head. if you plan to retain stock cubes then by all means you are lookin in the right direction w/ the AFRs.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Dont have any experience but you might want to put how much you want to spend and what your goals are for the car so the people with experience can give a better suggestion. I know AFR 205s are pretty much top of the line for stock displacement. If money is no option RHS has some nice lookin heads too. Ive heard trick flows are good too.

red
    2000 camaro ss

no matter what you plan on doin, the 205 AFR's will support anything you throw at stock cubes ('cept a solid roller).

Black
    2001 camaro ss

thanks exactly what i was lookin for the afr's say the 205's are good up to 396ci but as of right now ill prolly stay with the 346. I think thats the ones ill go with i found um for 1,900 so far.

red
    2000 camaro ss

good choice. AFR is beast.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy82188 View Post
    Im trying to pick a good set of heads to go with my magic stick 3 cam i have already. I have all the bolt ons stock bottom end m6 car. Any advice ? I was looking at the afr 205cc heads........the ones i have now are 241 casting. Let me know what you think!
    Depends what you want.. You might look at the smaller Trick Flow heads. The AFR's are great with stock displacement, but you got a pretty big lift.. The AFR's has a stock valve angle meaning they are kind of limited.. The trick flows have a 13.5 valve angle which will keep your torque a lot higher than the AFR's... I would go with either of those too. Just look at the flow numbers of them both for your lift.

I am building a 408 stroker right now, and I went with the 225cc Trick Flows. Best choice for my situation.

Black
    2001 camaro ss

Yea i see your point well what is the best all-around head then? just looking for a good head to match my cam and give me good numbers for a decent price.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy82188 View Post
    Yea i see your point well what is the best all-around head then? just looking for a good head to match my cam and give me good numbers for a decent price.
    AFR or TFS.. All I can tell you, make a choice and be happy

The TFS is a little better designed head IMO, but the AFR is a awesome performer. I looked at the flow numbers on both for my cam 248/254 .615/.622 and the TFS was better than the AFR from .200 lift all the way to .700 lift. TFS is the choice for my 408 build.

All I can say is look at the flow numbers of both on TEA's website.

www.totalengineairflow.com

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Trick flows are gonna be the best probbably, but your also gonna pay for it,
    AFR's are gonna be at the top also, with a bit more reasonable price,
    IMO I would look into some PRC either 5.3L stage 2.5's or the 5.7L Ls6 styles... both are a great head also and a ton more reasonable with price and will still show great gains...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

PRC 5.3 2.5s. Check for ptv clearance.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    PRC 5.3 2.5s. Check for ptv clearance.
    the 2.5's will clear, but you cant run a ms4 with those same heads.... but i would try the ls6 style... lil better head esp. if milled down...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    the 2.5's will clear, but you cant run a ms4 with those same heads.... but i would try the ls6 style... lil better head esp. if milled down...
    Your really gonna wanna check with any MS series cam and 5.3's with 2.02 intake and larger exhaust valve. Need to check, it will be close.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Your really gonna wanna check with any MS series cam and 5.3's with 2.02 intake and larger exhaust valve. Need to check, it will be close.
    correct, always check, but im going with the masses here and all i have heard a ms3 with the 2.5s will clear, its damn close tho..... if you try to run the ms4 with the same 2.5s, you will haveto flycut the pistons..... with the ls6s either will work as stock heads, but if milled down, they yea you are gonna want to check clearance for sure...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    correct, always check, but im going with the masses here and all i have heard a ms3 with the 2.5s will clear, its damn close tho..... if you try to run the ms4 with the same 2.5s, you will haveto flycut the pistons..... with the ls6s either will work as stock heads, but if milled down, they yea you are gonna want to check clearance for sure...
    Fact is, you need the larger valves to make the 5.3's worth anything. TS something something LMNO P seemed to think it would not clear, not that I care really. The MS series is such a damn slouch on the street. I like my torque too much to give it away for 6000+ RPM HP.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    The MS series is such a damn slouch on the street. I like my torque too much to give it away for 6000+ RPM HP.
    Pure comedy right there.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

With heads like AFR, ET and TFS that will actually let that cam breathe, Its a nice cam.

You cant say that budget heads are gonna not leave something on the table with the MS3-4.

How many people have bitched about having way low torque numbers after installing a MS series?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information