What do you guys think about reverse split cams for turbo se

This is a discussion on What do you guys think about reverse split cams for turbo se within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What do you guys think about reverse split cams for turbo setups? I have Cam Motion Cam 232/226 622/608 114 ...

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

What do you guys think about reverse split cams for turbo se

What do you guys think about reverse split cams for turbo setups?

I have Cam Motion Cam 232/226 622/608 114 4 degree advance built into the cam Int open at 6 degrees close at 46 degrees Exh open at 51 degrees close at -5 degrees.

The motor is a Warhawk with LS7-X 6 bolt heads, 9.:1cr with twin turbo GT3582R turbos making 879rwhp and 899rwtq at 15.5lbs. Here is a link to the write up on the car so you can see all the specs.

The Twin Turbo Z06 LSX 427 build from Hell finally done!!

hugger orange

I would think you'd want a standard split to give more time for the exhaust gases to escape out of the cylinder, and less intake since its under pressure....but I could be wrong

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I would think you'd want a standard split to give more time for the exhaust gases to escape out of the cylinder, and less intake since its under pressure....but I could be wrong
    intake valve open duration/exhaust valve open duration
    intake valve lift/exhaust valve lift

LSA is calculated by adding the centerlines of the intake and exhaust lobes, adding them together, and then dividing by two. For example, a cam with a 108 intake centerline and a 116 exhaust centerline would have an LSA of 112. The LSA is ground into the cam and cannot be changed without grinding a whole new cam, as it necessitates spreading the lobes or tightening the lobes.

Overlap can be an aid to producing good top end power and torque, because the exhaust gases, hot as they are, are making their way out the exhaust port and through the headers at a high rate of speed, and their exit helps pull in the air/fuel mixture from the intake valve, aiding in cylinder filling (known as scavenging). At low speeds this causes the lope that everybody loves, but it is accompanied with lower intake manifold vacuum, poor gas mileage, and overall reduced streetability.

The duration is degrees of rotation in crank degrees not cam

hugger orange

Ok, I didn't think about the lower vacuum on the intake side.....so the reverse split might help makeup for this? You have to remember too that your whole exhaust (mainly the primary and collector piping of the header) can mske, or kill scavenging....so your header design would need to be optimized to promote higher levels of scavenging

Thread Information