Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

What Is The Diff Between Ls1 And Ls6?

Like It Says Whats The Differance?
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

flat black
    the valve train, the heads, the cam, the blocks...what part are you asking about?

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I Just Saw A Ls1 To Ls6 Coversion Kit That Can Be Bought, Just Wondering Whats The Diff Betweeen The Blocks?

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

From what I know of the blocks are completely different. The blocks come from different plants. I read one of the major differences is in the windows between the cylinders. The reason they did that was to help the oil move out from under the piston without cavitating. Helping to solve the consumption problems some LS1's have. Unless the kit includes a new block then I don't see it being a true LS6. Although I have heard some 01 and 02 onwers have LS6 blocks, however everything before anyone gets excited the rest of the engine is still LS1 spec.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

One of the main issues with oil consumption was not enough ring tension and guys driving their cars in a light load/high RPM fashion. New rings fixed the issue.

There is no real benefit to going with an LS6 block aside from bragging rights. Sure, the oil passages have been modified and they've made it so that the block breathes better but that really isn't going to have an effect on power.

Black & Black

The only reason I brought up the windows between cylinders was so that people wouldn't think just because they changed heads and intake manifold they now have an LS6 under the hood. I agree once you change the heads and intake you may even pass the stock LS6 numbers and it will be so close to make it not worth mentioning, but there are always new people learning and I was trying to say there are differences that cannot be changed by a simple H/C/I swap. Also I have put a little over 40,000 miles on my firehawk and NEVER added so much as a quart of oil between oil changes.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I agree with everything you just said. The LS6 block is definitely differnt than the LS1, there is just no real power gains to be had from it. That was my point.

Black & Black

So far I have agreed with everything you have said in the posts I have read. It is nice to be able to have others to talk to and keep it about the tech without getting someone getting offended just because your opinion was not the exact same opinion and with the same reasons.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Some people don't realize that this is the internet, and it does not carry intent or sarcasm very well. I blame Al Gore.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

So If I Did The Entire Kit With The Head, Cam And Intake Do You Think I Could Call It An Ls6? Or Would That Be Gay

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Gay.

Besides you could just get a good head & cam package and make well over the 405 HP the LS6 makes for spending just a little bit more money.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

The Thing Is Though I Dont Want To Get To Crazy$ With The Heads And Cam.. There Is A Kit You Can Buy For 1000.00$ For Ported Ls6 Heads And Cam...i Also Plan To Put A Sts Turbo To The Engine Eventually

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Then you definitely don't want LS6 heads as they will bump up your static compression ratio, which is exactly what you don't want for boost. I would tell you to go with a good turbo cam and some 317 heads. They came on the 6.0 truck engine. They have 72 cc combustion chambers. That would be in the right direction you are looking to go.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    The Thing Is Though I Dont Want To Get To Crazy$ With The Heads And Cam.. There Is A Kit You Can Buy For 1000.00$ For Ported Ls6 Heads And Cam...i Also Plan To Put A Sts Turbo To The Engine Eventually
    well damn i dont seeu getting those heads and cam for 1000 but if u can then damn man.....
    DO the heads ocme with all the internals too?
    Usually from what ive seen ls6 heads can cost from 600-1000$....
    U can get some performance for around the same price.....
    Cam......most cams cost around the same mid 300's.......
    If u are going into the motor u might as well put a little more money in it and make it worth ur money man.........
    Its no simple task, and not cheap.....so why not go with a little better?
    U shoudl go ahead and get some hardened pushrods because stock ones are junk, Might as well get springs for insurance......Timing chain for insurance......ANd allot of ls1 oil pumps have problems....especially 98's that have a nasty problem of the oil pumps going out.

I dont know its my 2 cents its up to u man

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

red
    01 z28

don't forget about the LS6 intake too

Thread Information