What Cam To Use?

This is a discussion on What Cam To Use? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; alright I think im going to get a cam for the next mod but I dont have a clue which ...

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

What Cam To Use?

alright I think im going to get a cam for the next mod but I dont have a clue which one to go with? I drive this car every day and is my daily driver but I want the best cam for the all mighty dollar I can get, and what kinda power gains would be expected?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

see this is what I'm talking about no help. I guess all the real car guys left this sight? Thanks for all the advice!

CHEVY TAHOE 4X4

TR224 on a 114 lsa is what you want for a DD. With all the supporting mods and a m6 expect at least 370 to the wheels with a good tune.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

thanks for the advice I will look into that cam.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

no help? We havent been able to rebuild our technical sections to tell you to search. Also the fact that this topic has been beat to death is another reason. If your lazy just go with the 224. it passes smog and produces pretty decent numbers. or you could buy my f10 still a medium sized cam with great driveability. This is something you will need to research before you can make a decision. It isnt as easy as what cam should i get?? personally, anything below 228 is too small for me. I plan on daily driving the f13 or f14 from futral. You on the other hand may not like it and would be more content with say, a t1 cam or tr220......not trying to be an ass, just trying to help. cams all cost about the same, so its a matter of preference. I personally am biased to FMS cams cause they're not as harsh on the valvetrain as other lobes. I believe they use lunati lobes...
    Nino

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a good cam would be a 224/224 or a 228/228
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Im selling mine for $280shipped

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

thanks for the advice. I really dont know alot about why one would be better for a daily driver than another, there is not really anyone around me that knows shit about cars after the sixth cylinder. does the f16 or the other one you mentioned beat on the internals or just loud and thrashing idle ? I would like to go with whatever makes the most power, I have a NO2 kit to run but I would like to go all motor and be in or near 11's. I know a cam is'nt all I will have to do, but I figured a good cam would get me close. right or wrong?
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

yes a good cam will get you there. i cant remember what the lift is. If you go to furtals website, they'll have it there. I would recommend running dual springs, just for safety. The cam idles well, Ed Blow(me) Vert can confirm it. I ran him once when my car was running strong and kept up pretty well for a cam only...especially againt his h/c/ and s/c pulls hard from top to bottom, but just wasnt enough for me. When I was looking for cams, this was the biggest small cam i considered. Now its just not enough to keep up with the guys around here, so i have to step up. You wont be disappointed with either cam. Good on gas and power. easy on the valvetrain, will clear aftermarket heads easily.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

what would be the biggest cam I can use with the stock heads and should I go with heads on mine I've heard yes and no but if yes then AFR or Patriot, etc.? and if no when will I have to replace my stock heads?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

g5x3 112 is pushing it as well as the ms3, trex and anything else above 239. Your gonna have to flycut the pistons with all those cams if u run aftermarket heads. I would stay away from Partiot heads with all the issues they've had. AFR's are a great choice if you really wanna spend that much money. Do you have to do heads, no. Its just if you want to. If you want the most power, then yes, do heads....does that answer your questions??

just saw you also asked when you would have to replace the heads...you shouldnt have to. unless you break or bend a valve,but you just get those replaced.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

alright thanks. one last question is the Fast intake any better for HP than say a SLP or one of the Alluminum ones?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

yes, it is. its 90mm vs our 75mm. i personally am happy with the ls6 intake... if you want the most gains from the start, then the fast intake and a nick willams TB is the way to go. pm me if you got any questions. this is a very big decision to make. Im not biased to any one cam so ill help where i can.
    Nino

Thread Information