Pewter
    '00 SS

what cam to choose

i am looking to stay under 500hp but also wanna stay away from any superchargers, turbos, nitrous as much as possible. i understand that that is the easiest way to get what i want, i just dont wanna go that route.

my first thing i wanna do is a cam. i want this to be sufficient enough to handle whatever i do in the future. i still want good enough driveability that i can drive around town. basically want it as a street/strip car.

only mods done now are; headers, exhaust, lid, smooth bellow, catch can, delete A.I.R. and EGR.

what do you guys recommend, and what else do i need to get that goes along with getting a cam?

if yall need any more info from me just let me know. keep in mind i am only looking for a cam for now so please just respond about cams

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

At the very minimum you are going to need a stall if you are an a4 and a transmission cooler along with some valvesprings, hardened chrome moly pushrods, a ls6 oil pump, and a ls2 timing chain. I would also get ls7 lifters and ls2 lifter trays. Having a cam that is streetable is pretty easy with a tune but is also a difference in opinion. Just depends on your tolerance. That being said I think the tsp torquer v2 or the ms3 would be very arrestable for you but you may want to talk to Texas Speedier someone similar about it
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Pewter
    '00 SS

i got my transmission re-built a few years back and they said they put a 2800 stall in. i would prob. have to go bigger huh?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    i got my transmission re-built a few years back and they said they put a 2800 stall in. i would prob. have to go bigger huh?
    I would, do you know who makes the stall? You may be able to send it out to them and have them make it bigger. I would go with a 3600+ in my personal opinion you could probably get away with a 3200 depending on the cam.

Pewter
    '00 SS

what spec cam would you recommend

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

he hit it on the nail but if you dont want a tqv2 or a ms3 get the one right dab smack in the middle, the TSP 233/239 camshaft. Thats what i got! its great and has a nice lope at 112lsa.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    he hit it on the nail but if you dont want a tqv2 or a ms3 get the one right dab smack in the middle, the TSP 233/239 camshaft. Thats what i got! its great and has a nice lope at 112lsa.
    Do you have any vids on that or dyno numbers on that cam? I am considering getting that cam but I also really want the VR Vindicator cam or something similar

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Do you have any vids on that or dyno numbers on that cam? I am considering getting that cam but I also really want the VR Vindicator cam or something similar

Not a dyno man myself here. I have the TSP 231/237 from back in the day and enjoy the heck out of it. Mid 11's all day (which is slow) and can be daily driven. I know you can setup 2 cars the same. But there is a good chance they will not preform the same. The only proof IMO is at the track or on a closed course.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 04-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Not a dyno man myself here. I have the TSP 231/237 from back in the day and enjoy the heck out of it. Mid 11's all day (which is slow) and can be daily driven. I know you can setup 2 cars the same. But there is a good chance they will not preform the same. The only proof IMO is at the track or on a closed course.
    I really need to figure out the cam I want, but there are too many options out there.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

my car put up 384rwhp with exhaust a lid stock heads and an ls1 intake manifold. If i got a manifold id say close to 400 and if i got heads id say close to 430 or somewhere around there.. so its not that bad considering everything is stock except the cam lol.

Pewter
    '00 SS

my car put up 384rwhp with exhaust a lid stock heads and an ls1 intake manifold. If i got a manifold id say close to 400 and if i got heads id say close to 430 or somewhere around there.. so its not that bad considering everything is stock except the cam lol.
    all you have is that cam? i have been dyno'd at 308rwhp with the mods i listed and of course no tune

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    all you have is that cam? i have been dyno'd at 308rwhp with the mods i listed and of course no tune
    well yes for the main horsepower mod. OF COURSE i have valve springs push rods seats retainers ls6 ported oil pump and a new timing chain but none of those add HP. So basically its a shitty ass ls1 intake manifold and the stock heads...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

That's what I was going to recommend. Fwiw, I didn't change my lifters, timing chain, or oil pump when I did mine.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

IMO, first larger stall 3200(minimum),up to a 4000 (maximum). For your cam stick within this range: upper 220's to lower 230's on the intake lobes, upper 220's to upper 230's on the exhaust lobes. For the LSA 110(min) up to 114(max) and run 2 to 4 degrees advance.
    TR also has a 230/236, .592"/.602" 112 LSA which would also be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    That's what I was going to recommend. Fwiw, I didn't change my lifters, timing chain, or oil pump when I did mine.
    That's how alot of them are done if the mileage is low enough. My wifes had 40K on it at cam change time. So everything was left as is,,,just springs and pushrods.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's how alot of them are done if the mileage is low enough. My wifes had 40K on it at cam change time. So everything was left as is,,,just springs and pushrods.
    yes if I had 100,000+ I may do the chain+pump, maybe.

Pewter
    '00 SS

So basically its a shitty ass ls1 intake manifold

i hear that the ls1 stock intake is capable of up to 600hp. i have no clue if this is true but i hear so many people down-talking the ls1 intake. so really just wondering what yall think

Thread Information