Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What are the BEST heads for my street/strip car??

This is a discussion on What are the BEST heads for my street/strip car?? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Stock heads are probably a better choice. Hell...knowing SLP they probably ARE stock heads. They ...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    Stock heads are probably a better choice.
    Hell...knowing SLP they probably ARE stock heads.

They look exactly like the stock heads i have on my car... $1400 WOW little pricey huh!!!

All i know is that i'm going with the Patriots because with the extra 10 that i "MIGHT" from the AFRs for the extra $1100 aint frigen worth it!!!

Now for the FINAL verdict!!!! Which LS6 Patriot heads would be best???

1) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 2 (2.02/1.57/64cc) or the 59cc version?

2) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 2 (2.055/1.57/64cc) or the 59cc version?

3) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 3 (2.08/1.60/68cc) <--- This would be my choice!

I picked the last one because it appears to have the best flow and isn't crazy big like the LQ9's and in seeing that i will be N/A for awhile i think i could be able to squeeze the most HP with the Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 3 (2.08/1.60/68cc) or 64cc..

This will be my final decision so i would appriciate all input, tech information, dyno numbers, possible HP and TQ i'll gain and anything else you might think of!!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

heads

knowing slp is stock? hum i have slp heads and cam with ls6 manifol and run 12.59 humm stock, ok i like stock heads then thanks jeremy

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I was ripping SLP. I don't know they are stock, I would hope they aren't.
    And man....you should be faster with heads and a cam. 12.59 is bolt-on times. SLP just is simply overpriced and the product could be better. Customer service is SERIOUSLY lacking as well.

I went with option #3 myself. Except mine are 62cc.
    The intake valve is a little big for stock cubes on the Stage III. I would have probably have gone with the 2.055/1.57 heads for stock cubes.
    Either way....good choice. Let us know the results!!
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    I was ripping SLP. I don't know they are stock, I would hope they aren't.
    And man....you should be faster with heads and a cam. 12.59 is bolt-on times. SLP just is simply overpriced and the product could be better. Customer service is SERIOUSLY lacking as well.

I went with option #3 myself. Except mine are 62cc.
    The intake valve is a little big for stock cubes on the Stage III. I would have probably have gone with the 2.055/1.57 heads for stock cubes.
    Either way....good choice. Let us know the results!!
    Are you stock cubes?? What would happen if i did the 68cc intake on stock cubes would i actually loose HP??

And would the option 3 with the 62cc like your be good and how much gain can be expected?

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    They look exactly like the stock heads i have on my car... $1400 WOW little pricey huh!!!

All i know is that i'm going with the Patriots because with the extra 10 that i "MIGHT" from the AFRs for the extra $1100 aint frigen worth it!!!

Now for the FINAL verdict!!!! Which LS6 Patriot heads would be best???

1) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 2 (2.02/1.57/64cc) or the 59cc version?

2) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 2 (2.055/1.57/64cc) or the 59cc version?

3) Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 3 (2.08/1.60/68cc) <--- This would be my choice!

I picked the last one because it appears to have the best flow and isn't crazy big like the LQ9's and in seeing that i will be N/A for awhile i think i could be able to squeeze the most HP with the Patriot LS6 5.7 - STAGE 3 (2.08/1.60/68cc) or 64cc..

This will be my final decision so i would appriciate all input, tech information, dyno numbers, possible HP and TQ i'll gain and anything else you might think of!!
    My car gained 69HP from selection #1 with 59cc along with headers and a tune, granted i had a cam that was being choked at the time also

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am not stock cubes man. I am working on getting my 402ci back into my car.
    I went 62cc to bump up my compression to 11:1. I also have dished pistons giving me much more room to run a larger cam (248/254 629/622 113). My heads were the Stage III 64cc but I had Patriot mill mine .020" making them 62cc. I am also running Cometic .045" head gaskets.

With 68cc heads, stock pistons, and stock head gaskets you are looking at 9.8:1 compression. I think the little compression you lost would be more than made up by adding the heads.

Yea cuz i dont want to get killed by low compression, thats not what i'm looking for. I mean i know the cam i want will fit perfect in there with option 1, 2, or 3 i just dont wanna be choaking the engine.

i dunno if anyone else is running these but i bought GTP stage 2+ heads for mine on top of the TR 230/236 590/598 112 cam i have in there

I talked to mike at TT Perf and he said he wouldnt recommend the Patriot heads..... He said that in the past they had problems and DONT stand no where near the performance of the AFRs is this correct???

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    I talked to mike at TT Perf and he said he wouldnt recommend the Patriot heads..... He said that in the past they had problems and DONT stand no where near the performance of the AFRs is this correct???
    The problems they had were fixed over 2 years ago. PP hold their own with AFR, depening on Application one beats the other by a tie going to PP for cost, or AFR by 10-20HP and TQ. if you have a huge cam or bigger cubes. I would stand behind AFR 100% unless you want to spend the extra 1k elsewhere. if I was going all out on a motor AFR, but in my application PP actually outperformed one of AFRs head models. http://edigras.iweb.bsu.edu/headscam.htm

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

you get what you pay for........and i have heard from a company that sold patriot heads and no longer sell them for whatever reason

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98
    you get what you pay for........and i have heard from a company that sold patriot heads and no longer sell them for whatever reason
    If I get what I pay for, then I should go out and get a new 20k civic with all the options, because it costs more than an ls1 camaro so that makes it better. So now I should be able to blow it away then...

Quality isn't the highest price on the market. You're just bashin Pats, tell us of this company and give whatever reason

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    If I get what I pay for, then I should go out and get a new 20k civic with all the options, because it costs more than an ls1 camaro so that makes it better. So now I should be able to blow it away then...
    That is a terrible comparison. Brand new car priced against a used car.

I am NOT bashing Patriots.
    But AFR > Patriot.
    At least in the heads, not sure about other things like customer service. I do know that Patriot has some KICKASS customer service. Gunnar helped me a TON with my set.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

company is texas speed and performance.....and they stopped selling them because they had quality issues!.....anyone that doubt's me can call them yourselves...dont take my word call'em!!!!

I've heard nothing but good things about patriots except for a minor quality issus from tt performance other then that LOTS of owners of patroit heads will sware but their performance and some have even gain better numbers then AFRs and have given dynos to proove it...Guess it all a matter of opinion..

this is like a year old thread..so what did you do NeeD4SpeeD?
    I'm planning to get 205cc AFR and Cam kit within the next 6 months. right now doing the LT H & Y at LG Motorsports in Wiley TX. the AFR head and cam kit would net 110+ rwhp and then some +20 after a pro tune... it would put me into 470rwhp range after that.
    can't wait

http://www.lgmotorsports.com

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Texas Speed has had issue with Patriot heads and Dart heads, me thinks there is something fishy here. The only heads they haven't had issues with are their own and AFR's. Look closer and you will see a pattern here.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    this is like a year old thread..so what did you do NeeD4SpeeD?
    I'm planning to get 205cc AFR and Cam kit within the next 6 months. right now doing the LT H & Y at LG Motorsports in Wiley TX. the AFR head and cam kit would net 110+ rwhp and then some +20 after a pro tune... it would put me into 470rwhp range after that.
    can't wait

http://www.lgmotorsports.com
    what cam, 470 rwhp on a stock bottom end NA, you're dreaming unless thats nothing but a track car

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

With an aggressive cam, it is possible to see 470 RWHP with AFR 205cc heads. It's not likely but is possible.

1994 POS

by track car i mean aggressive cam, it's not going to be friendly on the street at all

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information