Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well I'm making the switch........to Mobil 1

This is a discussion on Well I'm making the switch........to Mobil 1 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by iamneo I lookked for it again Sonnyred, but I guess I was mistaken. I was sure I ...

sonnyred
    Quote Originally Posted by iamneo
    I lookked for it again Sonnyred, but I guess I was mistaken. I was sure I saw it in the manual. but all it says is to use oils that have the "approved starburst" seal on it. So I guess the ball is back in your court, your decision. Sorry...

No problem,i use mobil syn 10-- 30 myself never had a prob.

black
    2002 ss

oil fill cap

I run mobil1 in my car, truck and bike and have never had a problem, mostly because of concerns over cold startup in the winter months. If you drop by your local caddi dealer and look under the hood youll see they've started putting mobil-1 labels right on the oil fill cap. I ordered one for my car and one for the truck because theyre the same generic fill cap from parts. I think they were about 8$ each then jiffylube wont put the wrong oil in...and it looks cool.

ls1BrownBoots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Place I get my oil change uses Quaker State synthetic, so I went ahead and asked if I brought my own Mobil 1 would it be a problem. They said nope, go ahead and bring it in and we'll still change it out. Figured it was time for the switch, even said to the guy on the phone that the Mobil 1 is 100% better then the Quaker State stuff and he kinda whispered back "Yes"

Mobil 1 is ok, but if you want the best motor oil money can buy, it's AMS Oil. check out www . amsoil . com

Something to keep in mind, that Mobil 1 ISN'T a fully synthetic motor oil. Although it used to be, now it's a highly refined mineral oil that they slap a synthetic sticker on. Mobil 1 jumped on this wagon after Castrol was the 1st to do so. Mobil 1 sued Castrol because they called their highly refined mineral oil a "synthetic" Mobil 1 lost, and if you canít beat em, join em, so now Mobil does the same thing.

The only truly synthetic motor oils are AMS Oil, Red Line, and Royal Purple. All others are blends or highly refined mineral oils. It is however too bad that most of these fully synthetic oils have to be ordered and can not be purchased at your local parts store.

If you need further testament of AMS Oil quality, let me put this on the table. They run it in Big Rig Tractor Trailers, and they don't change their oil at specific mileage. They send samples into AMS Oil's labs and they tell you when to change it. They can also tell you how your motor is running by measuring the contaminates in the used oil at any given mileage.

AMS Oil is used by all major air lines in their jet engines which operate in excess of 400 degrees F. AMS Oil is used by NASA to lubricate the moving components on the space shuttle.

All this means it's more then good enough for your LS1. Iffin ya wanttin the best, then look no further then AMS Oil.

Black
    2000 WS6

Mobil1 5W30 for the last 5 years.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by ls1BrownBoots
    Mobil 1 is ok, but if you want the best motor oil money can buy, it's AMS Oil. check out www . amsoil . com

Something to keep in mind, that Mobil 1 ISN'T a fully synthetic motor oil. Although it used to be, now it's a highly refined mineral oil that they slap a synthetic sticker on. Mobil 1 jumped on this wagon after Castrol was the 1st to do so. Mobil 1 sued Castrol because they called their highly refined mineral oil a "synthetic" Mobil 1 lost, and if you can’t beat em, join em, so now Mobil does the same thing.

The only truly synthetic motor oils are AMS Oil, Red Line, and Royal Purple. All others are blends or highly refined mineral oils. It is however too bad that most of these fully synthetic oils have to be ordered and can not be purchased at your local parts store.

If you need further testament of AMS Oil quality, let me put this on the table. They run it in Big Rig Tractor Trailers, and they don't change their oil at specific mileage. They send samples into AMS Oil's labs and they tell you when to change it. They can also tell you how your motor is running by measuring the contaminates in the used oil at any given mileage.

AMS Oil is used by all major air lines in their jet engines which operate in excess of 400 degrees F. AMS Oil is used by NASA to lubricate the moving components on the space shuttle.

All this means it's more then good enough for your LS1. Iffin ya wanttin the best, then look no further then AMS Oil.
    That's funny...I got higher metal wear numbers with Amsoil....do you mean it works great for everybody but me? By the way....it's called Amsoil.....and NASA utilizes a 0 weight oil.....I aint putting that shit in my LS1....sorry... Amsoil 5-30 is a Group III hydrocrack.....I'm confused by your statement....can you enlighten me please.....Mobil 1 is a Group IV...Amsoil has many Group IV products....poly's that is as does Mobil 1.....but also sells many Group III cracked oils.....so if I just put in Amsoil how many miles can I go without changing?
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Using AutoZone's cheapest shit right now...

ValueCraft 10w-30.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

^^^

ls1BrownBoots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    That's funny...I got higher metal wear numbers with Amsoil....do you mean it works great for everybody but me? By the way....it's called Amsoil.....and NASA utilizes a 0 weight oil.....I aint putting that shit in my LS1....sorry... Amsoil 5-30 is a Group III hydrocrack.....I'm confused by your statement....can you enlighten me please.....Mobil 1 is a Group IV...Amsoil has many Group IV products....poly's that is as does Mobil 1.....but also sells many Group III cracked oils.....so if I just put in Amsoil how many miles can I go without changing?
    Actually my new found friend, AMS OIL ASL 5w-30 has a 25,000 drain interval, higher then any other oil on the market. Check out www . amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx for the details. NASA may use a 0 weight oil, but i ain't sayin use it in your car man, I’m just pointing out that they use AMS OIL.. As do the air liners in their jet’s. As for your claim of wear numbers, perhaps you could send me some pictures and some actual numbers, because I just don't believe it.
    Let me put it this way, big rig tractor trailers use only AMS Oil. Nothing else. The international and caterpillar engines in a big rig cost more then my house, and probably more then yours too. If that oil is good enough for them, it's sure good enough for both you and I. Plus if all the major air lines use it in their jet engines, which cost more then every house on my block added together, and NASA sees it as good enough for the shuttle, which costs more then every house in my city added together, I think our LS1s would do just fine with it. The Bottom line is use what ever you want, if you like inferior products, then that’s your choice to make. I am not claiming Mobil 1 is a bad oil, I’m just claiming there is better.

ls1BrownBoots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    Using AutoZone's cheapest shit right now...

ValueCraft 10w-30.

I notice your lack of tail pipes, and i didn't see any dump tubes exiting out the side. What does she have for an exhaust. That thing sounds nice though.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It was open headers for those shots.

Right now I am using the cheap AutoZone oil to break in my new motor.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I use 7 quarts of Virgin Olive Oil with 7 ounces of Ms. Butterworths Maple Syrup.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

the only thing i run in my formula is roayal purple full synthetic 10W30...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I use 7 quarts of Virgin Olive Oil with 7 ounces of Ms. Butterworths Maple Syrup.

Ms. Buttersworth?? Aunt Jemimas is a pure synthetic syrup Sarge, you should know better at your advanced age

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nasa...who cares...I wanna know what Paris Hilton uses for her video's
    Dino or synthetic?

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Nasa...who cares...I wanna know what Paris Hilton uses for her video's
    Dino or synthetic?
    synthetic man!
    shes PARIS HILTON for god's sake. only the best

Black
    98 SS Camaro

I have never heard that Mobil1 is a mineral oil? It is fully synthetic and I run it in everything I have!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Amsoil is a great oil as is Mobil 1. And for the record.....I aint seen any new tractor trailer rigs worth anything near the cost of my land/house....and yes I know what they run.....I am sick of the Amsoil marketing bullshit...yes it is good oil....but there are much better out there for a helluva lot less money....it all depends on your OCI's and several factors as to what is the "best" for your ride.....not just one oil is the best cuz Santa Claus uses it or NASA uses it....no big deal....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by benchpresser356
    I have never heard that Mobil1 is a mineral oil? It is fully synthetic and I run it in everything I have!
    Huh?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I brought back a few gallons of the best Virgin Olive Oil in the world from Israel a few weeks ago. I've been using it straight, but I'm thinking of adding a few ounces of some great kosher honey with my next change.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Amsoil is a great oil as is Mobil 1. And for the record.....I aint seen any new tractor trailer rigs worth anything near the cost of my land/house....and yes I know what they run.....I am sick of the Amsoil marketing bullshit...yes it is good oil....but there are much better out there for a helluva lot less money....it all depends on your OCI's and several factors as to what is the "best" for your ride.....not just one oil is the best cuz Santa Claus uses it or NASA uses it....no big deal....
    Well said, Sarge. I, too, have never seen any new tractor trailer rig that is worth more than just the down payment on my house/property...and yes, I know the new big rigs run six figures. And I see I'm not the only one who doesn't believe every bit of the piled-high-and-deep marketing crap. Amsoil is good stuff, don't get me wrong, but all that hype is over-kill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information