Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

weekend cam?

This is a discussion on weekend cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 01 T/A the comp cam has a .224/.230 .581/.588 and a lsa 114 or the more i ...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    the comp cam has a .224/.230 .581/.588 and a lsa 114 or the more i think of it i may just go a bit biger and go with one .239/.242 .649/.609 and a 111lsa.
    whoa.. I am not sure if you realize what a huge difference there is in the cams that you posted. First off if you are a stock LS1 engine you are not going to clear .649 lift without at least pistons with valve reliefs. Driveabillity will also be quite a bit more difficult for your tuner to maintain, definatly possible with a good tuner but it will still be rough.

I am planning on jumping up to something in the .240s duration wise with my next cam and if you cut down that lift to right around .600 then you should be ok.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

the comp cam has a .224/.230 .581/.588 and a lsa 114 or the more i think of it i may just go a bit biger and go with one .239/.242 .649/.609 and a 111lsa.
    I think you could use the 918 beehive springs with the 224/230 cam but wiht the latter I'd use duals definaetely. If the car will see the drag strip and low ETs are your goal go for the 239/242 but if no track then the former should be fun enough with better manners.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

i would agree w/INMY01TA, that anything over 230-ish @ 112 lsa would be ideal. custom grind it to your application and also if you plan to go heads in the future...

as an M6 you can still retain the factory 3.42 w/o to much cam surge down low...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

what do you guys think about that .650 lift though? i am almost positive that is well over our max lift for a stock internals setup..

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    what do you guys think about that .650 lift though? i am almost positive that is well over our max lift for a stock internals setup..
    Ya I didn't even think about that, definaetely wanna check for clearance.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I think you could use the 918 beehive springs with the 224/230 cam but wiht the latter I'd use duals definaetely. If the car will see the drag strip and low ETs are your goal go for the 239/242 but if no track then the former should be fun enough with better manners.
    +1 on the springs. the new 918s are rated at a max .620" lift.
    anything over .600 I'd go dual springs because you would be beating the hell out of them.
    plus that high a lift new springs every 20,000 miles max

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

im going to call a few places and see what some of them say to. the 2nd cam is a texas speed ms4 cam. and i will try and get it all in a kit from them as i get the push rods, duel springs, and the cam.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok i called comp cams and they told me that my best bet is to go with .228/.230 and .571/.573 with a 112 lsa. or if i wanted more race type cam go with a .232/.234 .595/.598 and a 112 lsa. what do you guy think of that? i still want to give texas speed a call but it is closed today.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

ok i called comp cams and they told me that my best bet is to go with .228/.230 and .571/.573 with a 112 lsa. or if i wanted more race type cam go with a .232/.234 .595/.598 and a 112 lsa. what do you guy think of that? i still want to give texas speed a call but it is closed today.

My experience with Comp is they tend to recommend on the conservative side. Defiantly, keep doing what you are, talk, call, and read everything you can.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

I'm somewhat of a novice at this but, are you planning on swapping out the stock heads as well?

With the little research I've done, the smaller cam will work well with stock heads and the larger will probably require something aftermarket. Not sure.

I know your intake is a LS6 which, will work well with the smaller cam, but the larger? I’m not sure about that either.

And then there’s the throttle body, and the this, and the that and the. . .

Just food for thought.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    My experience with Comp is they tend to recommend on the conservative side. Defiantly, keep doing what you are, talk, call, and read everything you can.
    I agree with that.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    I'm somewhat of a novice at this but, are you planning on swapping out the stock heads as well?

With the little research I've done, the smaller cam will work well with stock heads and the larger will probably require something aftermarket. Not sure.

I know your intake is a LS6 which, will work well with the smaller cam, but the larger? I’m not sure about that either.

And then there’s the throttle body, and the this, and the that and the. . .

Just food for thought.
    As for bringing air in and out the LS6 should be fine with a stock throttle body ported. The heads should be able to do fine as well (just make sure you have all the proper valvetrain stuff). Not saying you would not do better with a set of Trickflows and a Fast 92, but you can run a pretty aggressive cam. My bigger concern with a bigger cam is the stock bottom end. The main reason being that with a bigger cam you will want to turn more RPMs. Even with my mild cam 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 I shift right around 6500-6700. I can only imagine a bigger cam wanting to go higher and the bottom end not liking that.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

There's a local shop here that specializes in LSx engines/vehicles. Their name is Vector Motor Sports. They're located directly across the street from Katech Inc. Initially I called Katech and they recommended Vector. You may want to give them a jingle and pick their brains as well. Here's their information.

Vector Motor Sports
    24291 Sorrentino Ct.
    Clinton Township, MI 48035

Phone: 586-790-2970
    Fax: 586-790-2098

Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I spin mine (stock bottom end) to 7,000.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

its all in what you want out of the car. Its about your goals and driving habits bro. I mean I would def. not go with the first cam that Comp recommended as it is to small for just about any ones taste nowadays. That second one would be a good well rounded cam, it will have specs alot like mine and since you already rev out that motor pretty far your car would love the powerband.

as for the speculation of the stock heads. You can do a cam only setup and be just fine, it will not hurt you to not get new heads and you can still run the larger cam for now as long as you upgrade your valvetrain. That being said it would be alot better for the setup if you did heads as well. Not only are you stripping it down most of the way anyways you will be spending a cuple hundred bucks to upgrade the stock heads you have now to make them safe for your cam. You can just save up a little longer and pickup a decent set of heads from ws6store.com for around 1100-1200$ and gain a bit more power.

The power will come either way as you are letting in more air and fuel by opening the valves longer and lifting the valves higher. However with the roughness of stock heads the air will experience some turbulence and your cam just wouldnt be at its full potential.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    its all in what you want out of the car. Its about your goals and driving habits bro. I mean I would def. not go with the first cam that Comp recommended as it is to small for just about any ones taste nowadays. That second one would be a good well rounded cam, it will have specs alot like mine and since you already rev out that motor pretty far your car would love the powerband.

as for the speculation of the stock heads. You can do a cam only setup and be just fine, it will not hurt you to not get new heads and you can still run the larger cam for now as long as you upgrade your valvetrain. That being said it would be alot better for the setup if you did heads as well. Not only are you stripping it down most of the way anyways you will be spending a cuple hundred bucks to upgrade the stock heads you have now to make them safe for your cam. You can just save up a little longer and pickup a decent set of heads from ws6store.com for around 1100-1200$ and gain a bit more power.

The power will come either way as you are letting in more air and fuel by opening the valves longer and lifting the valves higher. However with the roughness of stock heads the air will experience some turbulence and your cam just wouldnt be at its full potential.
    very well put

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i will be geting heads later down the road but it cant happen now. a new baby is comig and the cam and headers are all i can get for now. after this it a new rear end. then time to save for a 402/408 with trick flow heads and a 92 intake. i and going to get the new springs and push rods with the cam. i dont know if i will get the 918 springs of duels yet im going to look into it sum more 1st. and im going to get the tb ported to.

red
    1998 Z28

I was looking into the ms4 cam there for awhile up untill i started doing my homework on it. the ms4 cam screams at high rpms it just loves the high rpms. the stock bottom end will be fine the valves will clear without flycutting. alot of people dont want that cam as a DD because it starts to pull late in the rpm band.

As someone once told me bigger isnt always better.

in short the MS4 puts out big peak numbers but is lacking in the lower rpms which is not something i would want on the street if i wanted the best results.

deff. take the advise of some of these guys anything around 230 is a good aggressive street cam

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Anybody familiar with this cam from Thunder Racing?

99-TR230/224-111 Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
    "Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA 2200-6800 RPM Power Band. Excellent mid-range & high RPM power. Automatic cars require computer tuning and it is recommend for optimum results on manual transmission cars . Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

To view the Dyno Graph:
    http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=61

red
    1998 Z28

that cam has a more duration and lift on the intake. LS1 have an amazing flowintake system from what i understand. Ls1's love there cams to have more duration and lift on the exhaust side

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information