Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

wantin a cam

This is a discussion on wantin a cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; thunder racing TR224,or a 228r cam/spring kit from Texas Speed .a ed curtis street sweeper or a EPS cam....

red
    2000TA

thunder racing TR224,or a 228r cam/spring kit from Texas Speed .a ed curtis street sweeper or a EPS cam.
    Last edited by garygnu65; 06-24-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: more infor

white
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    in that case...

TRex or MS4.

p&p243's
    springs
    hardnd rods
    Ls6 oil pump
    underdrive pulley
    headers
    ory
    tune
    is that still able to drivin daily with that set up ???

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Stay with Texas Speed don't go anywhere near Thunder Racing or you'll be waiting forever for parts. I ordered gears from them with a install kit and oil and cover since I had a credit from the last part they shipped me after a 2 month wait and it wasn't even the right part. So I needed gears and that whole setup was a decent deal and I wanted to used the credit. Here's the story got the gears in one shipment, the following weak the install kit and fluids, and 2 weeks later a cover. How's that for great service and it took like 4 days to get the gears and there not that far from me I'm in TA there in LA. I could drive there and back in one day. I get faster shipment from ws6 store and their several states away, better customer service, and have never received a wrong part yet and I built my whole car with just parts from them and a used LS6 from a local shop and a Volant from EBAy. Next it's Texas Speed since they have a good selection of cams and a nice deal if you get the cam package with all install parts.
    bro that sucks i feel u i waited 2monthes for my headers and exhust to come in i didnt mind cuz i was in iraq but really if i was back in the states i would have blow someone up lol but thanks for the info btw nice ta mines white to ramair

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by v8ramair View Post
    is that still able to drivin daily with that set up ???

bro that sucks i feel u i waited 2monthes for my headers and exhust to come in i didnt mind cuz i was in iraq but really if i was back in the states i would have blow someone up lol but thanks for the info btw nice ta mines white to ramair
    I would honestly advise you not to get the MS cams for a dd, however there are gonna be ppl who are gonna chime in and be like "Its the best in the world and I wouldnt trade it for anything". I have nothing against magic stick cams its just that they have little to none under the curve power. Look at a few dyno sheets if you can. The power kicks in after 3.5-4k and then just starts pulling. How often are you going to shift your dd at those levels just to make use of the cam? Thats why a lot of ppl with MS4 run really steep gears or big stall. To each his own I guess. If I were going with a h/c combo, I would go a little less aggressive on the cam and get good flowing heads.

BTW, ignore my comment about the MS4. I wanted to see how badly I would get bashed for saying that...
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

lol just cuz i said it like that dnt mean i dnt run it bro my car does see the strip and a few street races here and there ( when i get called out )lol but a good friends of mines cobra keep whoopin on me lol damn cobras lol
    Im guessing its an 03/04. If so, what will you do once he gets a twin screw? He will still have you by a good 1.5 seconds.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I don't know if I would like any bigger of a cam that I got now
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I've ordered from Thunder many times without issue. Texas Speed will work also tho.
    me too and every time Ive asked questions through email they've responded with in 24 hours. the last thing I ordered from them was sportline springs and they came in a week. seeing as I live in ca I thought that was pretty good

black
    1999 camaro SS

is that still able to drivin daily with that set up ??
    if you have a m6 with 430's or a a4 with a big ass stall than ya lol. but I'll find out personaly some day. I'm doing my entire suspension this month. just got everything in the mail yesterday.. then it's drivetrain THEN it's motor time. i'm planning on doing a set up like that tho. I already have 1.75 headers PP 96mm intake, custom 96mm TB, 4" maf. I still need to buy a whooooole bunch of more stuff and it's all waiting on my TR wish list lol. the only thing I'm going to get from TSP is true duals

white
    1999 Trans Am

wow i was just about to post on this subject i have a 99 T/A as well its my DD and i was planing on putting a cam in it but not too wild i was thinking texas speed 224/224 xe with PRC platinum spring kit but idk what lsa(111 112 idk) i should get, if i can stay with 7.40" Push rods( **non-sponsor link removed** ), or if or what kind of rocker arms i would need, and if i need to uprgrade my oil pump, i plan to run stock heads for now till i save up a little more.
    Last edited by 0rion; 06-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.

white
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Im guessing its an 03/04. If so, what will you do once he gets a twin screw? He will still have you by a good 1.5 seconds.
    yeah its and 04 and he put a bigger supercharger form what i know its the iggest one kennelbell has to offer lol but o well thr always someone out thr thats faster
    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    if you have a m6 with 430's or a a4 with a big ass stall than ya lol. but I'll find out personaly some day. I'm doing my entire suspension this month. just got everything in the mail yesterday.. then it's drivetrain THEN it's motor time. i'm planning on doing a set up like that tho. I already have 1.75 headers PP 96mm intake, custom 96mm TB, 4" maf. I still need to buy a whooooole bunch of more stuff and it's all waiting on my TR wish list lol. the only thing I'm going to get from TSP is true duals
    well good luck with that man i wish u luck lol i got all my suspension and drivetrian and some apperiance mods at my house waitin for me to get home from iraq so i can get busy

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

[QUOTE=v8ramair;2369978]yeah its and 04 and he put a bigger supercharger form what i know its the iggest one kennelbell has to offer lol but o well thr always someone out thr thats faster

Probably a 2.8, in which he is easily making 20+ psi. There are a few guys on SVT performance making over 700 to the wheels on pump gas.

If you really want to beat him, you will need a 427+. There is just no way a h/c ls1 is going to be able to hang with/kill him. You will need juice but your engine if its a stock bottom end will take a shit. Where as he can spray a 200-300 shot on a stock motor all day long. Anyway, good luck with your install. You will def be able to kill most of the cars you see on a daily basis.

white
    1999 trans am

Probably a 2.8, in which he is easily making 20+ psi. There are a few guys on SVT performance making over 700 to the wheels on pump gas.

If you really want to beat him, you will need a 427+. There is just no way a h/c ls1 is going to be able to hang with/kill him. You will need juice but your engine if its a stock bottom end will take a shit. Where as he can spray a 200-300 shot on a stock motor all day long. Anyway, good luck with your install. You will def be able to kill most of the cars you see on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]
    well i do have the spray jsut not installed yet lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    wow i was just about to post on this subject i have a 99 T/A as well its my DD and i was planing on putting a cam in it but not too wild i was thinking texas speed 224/224 xe with PRC platinum spring kit but idk what lsa(111 112 idk) i should get, if i can stay with 7.40" Push rods( **non-sponsor link removed** ), or if or what kind of rocker arms i would need, and if i need to uprgrade my oil pump, i plan to run stock heads for now till i save up a little more.
    lol nice man looks like we was thinkin the same lol whr u at in texas?

white
    1999 Trans Am

just north of austin im about to head out to weir

black trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I disagree. Hotcam sucks. No reason to go with that over a 224.

i ran a hot cam for a year and from A 2000 stock cam to a hot cam i picked up 5 tenths and the car had tones more tq more fun to drive....

i went form 109 mph to 114 in the 1/4

i have an xr281 hr now... nice cam does not have the tq or mid ranger power as the hot cam and it comes on at about 5400 and dies off from 6500-6700

the 281 is in my dd now but its not near af fun to drive and u have to rev it so high to get it in the power its hard to put it to use

the hot cam with its 218/228 and only .525 lift is so much more fun to drive

and it dont stall the car when u trun the wheel and hit the breaks un like my 281hr

just my .02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information