Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

want opinions on H/C setup

hey yall, so ive been doing some work to the car, and im finally ready for the big upgrade. im going to upgrade to the racetronix fuel system and jump to 37# injectors when i do the head cam set up, to ensure i have enough fuel. so im torn between a few different combinations, and since ive never done the swap, i would like your opinions. oh, and i have slp LT's, full exhaust, LS6 intake and PCV, LID, EGR delete, ported TB, built 4L60E, PCM tune, some suspension work and pretty much every other bolt on out there, but not important to list. heres what im looking at;

1st: Patriot heads; LS6 stg 2 59cc or 64cc chambers, 1.7 adjustable rockers, titanium retainers, .650 dual springs. W/ a 225/229 cam.

2nd: PRC LS6 64cc stg 2.5, SS 2.02" intake valves, 1.57" exhaust valves, .675" dual springs with titanium retainers. 7.400" pushrods. W/ MS3 cam 237/242 .603/.609" 112 LSA

3rd: same heads as #2, but with 233/239, .559"/.603" cam 113 LSA

like i said, im new with all these different numbers, and just wanna get the right combo that goes together. this is for a street/strip car. if you think theres a better combination, please let me know. along with the H/C, im doing a double-roller adjustable timing chain, and a ported LS6 oil pump.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by sutie View Post
    hey yall, so ive been doing some work to the car, and im finally ready for the big upgrade. im going to upgrade to the racetronix fuel system and jump to 37# injectors when i do the head cam set up, to ensure i have enough fuel. so im torn between a few different combinations, and since ive never done the swap, i would like your opinions. oh, and i have slp LT's, full exhaust, LS6 intake and PCV, LID, EGR delete, ported TB, built 4L60E, PCM tune, some suspension work and pretty much every other bolt on out there, but not important to list. heres what im looking at;

1st: Patriot heads; LS6 stg 2 59cc or 64cc chambers, 1.7 adjustable rockers, titanium retainers, .650 dual springs. W/ a 225/229 cam.

2nd: PRC LS6 64cc stg 2.5, SS 2.02" intake valves, 1.57" exhaust valves, .675" dual springs with titanium retainers. 7.400" pushrods. W/ MS3 cam 237/242 .603/.609" 112 LSA

3rd: same heads as #2, but with 233/239, .559"/.603" cam 113 LSA

like i said, im new with all these different numbers, and just wanna get the right combo that goes together. this is for a street/strip car. if you think theres a better combination, please let me know. along with the H/C, im doing a double-roller adjustable timing chain, and a ported LS6 oil pump.
    First off, ditch the LS6 oil pump and go lingenfelter, its cheaper and better. Next off, double roller chains sometimes need a little work to make them fit so be prepared for that. Last but not least, check out some of the sponsors and see what combo's they have. It will give you an idea on the set up you will like the best
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Hmmm, didn't even think about the lingenfelter pump, good call. And after doing more reading, I think ill just stick with an upgraded single roller chain.
    LS1, SLP lid, SLP MAF, bilstein HP shocks, SLP longtube/tuned headers and loudmouth exhaust, built 4L60E w/ transgo shift kit, true ram air, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS6 PCV w/ catch can, FAST fuel rails, LCRB, sub-frame connectors, wide-band O2.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

I like texas speeds tv.2 cam 232 234 .595 .598 on a 112, great driver cam with killer power.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Hmmm, didn't even think about the lingenfelter pump, good call. And after doing more reading, I think ill just stick with an upgraded single roller chain.
    Mod "Sarge" runs that oil pump and so do I. I paid $60 less then the LS6 and my PSI is around 80psi (Maxed) at idle

Go with the LS2 chain, it is stronger then the LS1 and doesn't really cost more.

What type of lifters/pushrods were you thinking?

hugger orange

Melling hv oil pump part number 10296, not the 10295... this is a high pressure/ high volume pump, and ot has flush mount Allen head bolts (less grinding if any on the timing cover) go with a double roller chain for strength....

The double roller chain should come with 2 shims, rib a thin coat of black RTV on both sides of the shin that has the oil hole when you bolt it in.

Next take some lube or grease and rib on the face of the oil pump and set the timing cover in place without the aluminum gaskets... pull the cover back off and of you have any grease stuck to it do little grinding in that spot.... this will give you plenty of clearance with the gaskets.

I see your in Calli, so you are pretty much screwed on a larger cam... I think about as big as you can go is a 224 on a 114lsa. So if you want to make as Mich power as possible you will need to spend some money on a great set of heads matched to the cam you pick (unless you want to do a cam/ exhaust swap every time you need to run through emissions)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I like your choice #3. PRC>Patriot.

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Sorry to jack the thread, but why would you want to have a higher oil pressure like with the lingenfelter pump? Is that just for highly modded cars or would you do that for a stock car also?

hugger orange

More oil gives you longer bearing life

black
    '02 trans am ws6

PRC heads and a Pat G cam get my vote, along with whatever pump you decide, and might as well swap lifters/trays too.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I'm trying to decide on similar setups, especially since TS has a special going on. I would definitely go PRC over Patriot, their budges heads have good results in almost every thread I read about them. LS2 chain would get my vote also.

I'm waiting on an E-mail from TS for what will work the best for me. I've decided on the 2.5 LS6heads but not sure on what cam and If I want the heads milled to up the compression. I did all my research to SC my car and just couldn't justify the cost for how much I drive the car, now I've got to learn all this new shit.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Well thanks for the input. I may be in California, but the car is registered in Texas, and I'm military exempt from there inspections, so I'm in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Melling hv oil pump part number 10296, not the 10295... this is a high pressure/ high volume pump, and ot has flush mount Allen head bolts (less grinding if any on the timing cover) go with a double roller chain for strength....

The double roller chain should come with 2 shims, rib a thin coat of black RTV on both sides of the shin that has the oil hole when you bolt it in.

Next take some lube or grease and rib on the face of the oil pump and set the timing cover in place without the aluminum gaskets... pull the cover back off and of you have any grease stuck to it do little grinding in that spot.... this will give you plenty of clearance with the gaskets.

I see your in Calli, so you are pretty much screwed on a larger cam... I think about as big as you can go is a 224 on a 114lsa. So if you want to make as Mich power as possible you will need to spend some money on a great set of heads matched to the cam you pick (unless you want to do a cam/ exhaust swap every time you need to run through emissions)

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    I'm trying to decide on similar setups, especially since TS has a special going on. I would definitely go PRC over Patriot, their budges heads have good results in almost every thread I read about them. LS2 chain would get my vote also.

I'm waiting on an E-mail from TS for what will work the best for me. I've decided on the 2.5 LS6heads but not sure on what cam and If I want the heads milled to up the compression. I did all my research to SC my car and just couldn't justify the cost for how much I drive the car, now I've got to learn all this new shit.

Let me know what they tell you.

hugger orange

Well thanks for the input. I may be in California, but the car is registered in Texas, and I'm military exempt from there inspections, so I'm in the clear.
    Lol ok in that case is go for the 228, longtube headers, ls6 intake and heads of your choice...
    If you use any trailer mounted generators or Hummers out there its a good chance we Reid them here where I work

1999 Trans Am

I am also looking to pimp the engine. Though I know little about it. How come you are not looking to get larger injectors? How much HP are you looking to get out of this set up and how much are you looking to spend on it?

silver
    2000 ss camaro

I went with single chain w/ dampner. Melling pump. Ported ls6 will do the trick. Cam wise, when I built my ls1, I didn't know how big to go. I stayed conservative w/ torquer V2 with ls6 2.5's. I installed 28 lb. injectors only to lean out at the dyno. To do it again, I'd get TSP MS3 with 36lb injectors. Go all out and no regrets.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

So since I have to drop 3000 for injectors on my truck, I'm being forced to alter my plans for the t/a. I'm thinking of getting a stock set of ls6 heads, porting them myself, then getting the ms3 cam, ls7 lifters, dual springs, oil pump and timing chain. What do yall think as far as rocker arms?

red
    2000 Z28

Stock rockers are plenty strong with the CompCams trunion upgrade. You don't "have to" get new rockers unless you're looking at TFS heads with the standard valveguides. Although they will install powdered metal guides for a fee, which allows the use of stock rockers. I'm not sure if the PM guides + trunion kit would offset the cost of a quality aftermarket rocker.

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Stock rocker arms are fine the way they are with the mods you are doing.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

How big of a cam can stock rockers handle?

Thread Information