Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By 0rion
  • 1 Post By speedyWS6
  • 3 Post By RONS98TA

A very nice screw up.

This is a discussion on A very nice screw up. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I bought a 2000 ws6 last year around this time for my drive to work car. I drive about two ...

Black
    00' WS6

A very nice screw up.

I bought a 2000 ws6 last year around this time for my drive to work car. I drive about two hours each way. My buddy who owns a speed shop convinced me to get an ls6 intake and a set of headers, as he said it wont hurt gas mileage but would add power. I really didnt want to hot rod it as i need the gas mileage. We put the intake on several months back and a couple weekends ago went to put the headers on. I broke an exhaust manifold bolt off and of course it wasnt protruding out the head at all. We welded on the bolt to get a nub enough for some vice grips to get on and unknown to us managed to break some of the welded material off and it somehow found its way into an exhaust port. Cranked the car up and it went to hammering pretty bad. Let it idle for a while and it quieted down a bit so we figured it was a broken lifter. Ordered new lifters, pushrods, springs, and what the hell, a little cam since we would need one anyways. Obvisouly when we pulled the cam out and it was fine we tore in further and discovered the peice, about the size of a pea but in an elliptical shape, had beat the head up and punched a hole in the piston! Pulled the engine out and chenged the piston gaskets and all. Even went to a set of stock 241 heads. Put it on the dyno and tuned it and was able to make 418 at the wheels. I must say its a whole new car to drive now and alot more fun and enjoyable! Just hesitant to see what my mpg is now!😁

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stay out of it and your mileage shouldn't be too bad at all really. You don't list what size cam you have but like I say......keep your foot off the floor and I think you'll be surprised. Me personally......I can't keep my foot out of mine and if I wanted gas mileage I'd be driving a prius.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    If I wanted gas mileage I'd be driving a prius.
    Yep......

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

A very nice screw up.

I want gas mileage so let me go get a 5.7 v8
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    I want gas mileage so let me go get a 5.7 v8
    f bodies are pretty efficient really.....if you drive them right you can get decent mileage out of them. Vettes are the same way. Not like the old days where you got single digit mileage. They won't get 40 but mid to upper 20's is pretty common.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    f bodies are pretty efficient really.....if you drive them right you can get decent mileage out of them. Vettes are the same way. Not like the old days where you got single digit mileage. They won't get 40 but mid to upper 20's is pretty common.
    My TA gets 26-28mpg on the interstate and I have a friend with a H/C C5 Z06 that gets 32mpg on the interstate...I'm pretty jealous of his lol

In reference to the OP's question, depending on if its a M6 or an A4 you should still be pretty close to stock MPG "and in some cases better". I've seen cars with mods and a really good tune have better MPG than stock.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

With a 6 speed, gas milage should not change (to much) IF you keep your foot on the go pedal like your pushing on an egg.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

OP where in AL?

The MPG factors greatly on how much hwy vs city (in addition to how high you rev the rpms..)

On hwy I got great MPG, on city....that dropped a lot. Of course every red light was a track light tree for me

Not sure how it will be with all the mods I've done over the last 18 months...new engine, transmission stg II build, and custom 8.8 with 4.10 gears.... yeah what mpg?

Me drive a Prius....I'd rather drag my cripple ass to work every day before I get in one.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-02-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Black
    00' WS6

I guess gas mileage is a relative thing, ive never owned a vehicle that wasnt a v8. This one gets 23-24mpg 90% highway. Usually run the tank to 350 miles. Been driving mostly in town this first tank and mily light just cMe on and im at 250 miles.... Yikes!

Cam is a bullet .222/.225/.276

Im i. Hsv thx for the replys all!

Black
    00' WS6

Just filled it up. 17mpg but i forgot i had 5 pulls on the dyno off that tank XD. I guess it will be pretty close to where it was when i get it on the highway.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Ak68W View Post
    Just filled it up. 17mpg but i forgot i had 5 pulls on the dyno off that tank XD. I guess it will be pretty close to where it was when i get it on the highway.
    and no spirited driving around town?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Yep......
    about gas mileage.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    00' WS6

Evidently i do lol. Newb question: whats the difference in an m6 and an a4? M6 is the manual and a4 is the auto trans? Does the automatic version only have 4 gears?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's correct. In the A4 (auto), 4th gear is overdrive.

I probably get single digits for mpg when my foot is on the loud pedal lol.
    It's on jackstands.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Same here as 35th-ANV-SS. I will get about 13-16 mpg IF m easy on the go pedal. That rarely happens. The auto doesn't get great fuel milage. The m6 will do better in that respect. But in the car's defense, I didn't make my car what it is now for sake of fuel milage competition. I made my TA to be fast, not a gas sipper. LOL

Usually anything with a V8 that gets close to 20 mpg is fantastic in my eyes, but one of the reasons we've owned 4th gens is because they are very efficient cars for what they are.

If they didn't get the mileage that they are capable of, we wouldn't have owned them as daily drivers for the last 18 years. So yes, mileage is one of the reasons we daily drive a 4th gen. You're not alone AK68.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Usually anything with a V8 that gets close to 20 mpg is fantastic in my eyes, but one of the reasons we've owned 4th gens is because they are very efficient cars for what they are.

If they didn't get the mileage that they are capable of, we wouldn't have owned them as daily drivers for the last 18 years. So yes, mileage is one of the reasons we daily drive a 4th gen. You're not alone AK68.
    My last fill up was 23 mpg, mostly highway. I am getting my summer wheels and tires mounted today. The C5 Z06 wheels I have are only 19.5 lbs, I am curious to see if the total 20 pound unsprung weight drop is going to help a little.

20 lbs. of unsprung weight is pretty substantial. I even weighed the drilled and slotted rotors I installed vs the blanks that came off. 1.5 lbs. lighter per wheel

My wifes 4th gen SS is a 6 speed, has a mild cam, headers, exhaust, and a 12 bolt with 3.73's. It routinely gets 21 mpg around town here with stop and go driving. On the highway if I keep the speed at ~70 mph it will get about 27 mpg. When it had 3.42's I tickled 30 mpg highway a couple of times. I had 4.10's in it for a few months when I started running the 12 bolt, highway mileage dropped to about 24 at best.

My 02 SS was an auto, 3400 stall, stock 3.23's. Had headers on that one and that was it. Otherwise stock engine. It would get 20 mpg around town driving easy. Playing with the converter around town would drop to 18-19. Highway the car always got 26 mpg.

Thread Information