Thread: Valve nock

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Valve nock

I change my oil to royal purple and ever sence have been hearing a pretty bad tic coming from my pasanger side head. I know about piston slap but that makes a lower pitch deeper nock than a valve. This sounds like its just below the heads all the way in front. This sound does not go away when the engine heats up... but does get quieter. When I rev the engine I hear it most when rpm's are coming back down below 2000. sounds like something is coming apart in there. Is this likely an a car with only 25k on it? Or do you think I just have a very bad case of the slap? Thanks

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

what weight oil did you put in.......mine made slight noise with 5-w30 royal purple but not 10 30

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

I use 5w-30 but my next oil change is coming up so im going to try 10w-30. I heard it helps too. I tryed the 5w because thats what it called for. I also heard of an oil treatment that thickens your oil do ya know anything about that?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

check the egr gasket on the exhaust manifold if you have one, i heard if taht is bad it will make a ticking noise

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

I had already checked all the gaskets and found no problem. How bad of damage could a valve nock cause to the head... sould I fix it rite away or will it be ok for a while($) Im also thinking about NOS sould I get it looked at first?Thanks

White
    1998 TA Convertible

Cool

Check the rockers

Black
    2001 Pontiac TransAm NHRA

This sounds like the "normal" GM piston slap I've dealt with since I bought my bird in 2002. It gets quieter when it is warm, and sounds like there are marbles in the engine when it's cold. I wont even get into the trips I've taken to the dealership and discussions about warranty, etc. A heavier weight oil is what they suggest and it didn't really help me out. I hope your issue is different, because if I were to try and sell my car, no one would buy it sounded like it does.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Hey took it to the dealer and the said it was the slap. I didnt think it was because it was more of a ping than a nock but fck it... It doesnt go away when it gets warm but does get quieter. Im just going to cover the noise up with a borla cat back. Damn GM but ya gotta love the ls1 They take a beeting and keep on ticking lol

Torch Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jsremmos View Post
    I change my oil to royal purple and ever sence have been hearing a pretty bad tic coming from my pasanger side head. I know about piston slap but that makes a lower pitch deeper nock than a valve. This sounds like its just below the heads all the way in front. This sound does not go away when the engine heats up... but does get quieter. When I rev the engine I hear it most when rpm's are coming back down below 2000. sounds like something is coming apart in there. Is this likely an a car with only 25k on it? Or do you think I just have a very bad case of the slap? Thanks
    I myself have the same problem on my 01 SS. Practically stock, never been thrashed. It has 37k on it and it has 5w30 mobile 1 for lube. Any feedback would be great.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

you should here mine. I don't have piston slap anymore because I have a new forged bottom end, but my valvetrain noise is rediculous because of my hardened valvetrain

black
    2002 Firebird Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jsremmos View Post
    There is a GM bulletin (#1206539) that may describe your problem. My '02 WS6 has a similar problem that has been there since before 10K miles. I usually run 10W30 Valvoline Durablend, but the problem is no different when running 5W30. The bulletin (copy attached as jpg) describes a possible cause of the problem as oil aeration, caused by a leaking o-ring between the oil pump screen and the oil pump.

I hope this helps.

Nathan

Thread Information