Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green/Blue
    1999 Firebird

V6 to ls3 Project

I have a 1999 Firebird 3.8l daily driver and have just got a good deal on a ls3 motor with 0 miles. Its coming with all the pulleys, but i will have to get a ECM and wiring harnest and all that. i was told that the motor will bolt on to my current trans. is that true? Before i buy the engine i also want to know if it will fit into my current base firebird?

Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdmo View Post
    I have a 1999 Firebird 3.8l daily driver and have just got a good deal on a ls3 motor with 0 miles. Its coming with all the pulleys, but i will have to get a ECM and wiring harnest and all that. i was told that the motor will bolt on to my current trans. is that true? Before i buy the engine i also want to know if it will fit into my current base firebird?
    should fit no problem..

if it does mount to ur tranny (i think it does) it doesnt matter because the v6 trannys will NOT handle the 400+ hp the ls3's put down.

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    should fit no problem..

if it does mount to ur tranny (i think it does) it doesnt matter because the v6 trannys will NOT handle the 400+ hp the ls3's put down.
    x1 on that. i think you also have to change the differencial and the driveshaft.(but not sure)

Green/Blue
    1999 Firebird

Oh ok. should i look into getting those needed parts such as a transmission from a trans am?

red
    2000TA

yep

2002 trans am ws6

to tell you the truth i think is going to end up been more costly doing the change from a v6 to a v8 instead of just getting a stock ls1. just my opinion.

hopefully some of the Veteran Member will shine in to help you out and give you a better idea.
    Last edited by dav-02ws6-m6; 06-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    to tell you the truth i think is going to end up been more costly doing the change from a v6 to a v8 instead of just getting a stock ls1. just my opinion.

hopefully some of the Veteran Member will shine in to help you out and give you a better idea.
    While thats definitely true, he's not just installing a stock LS1 in a V6 car...hes doing an LS3, which is a significantly more powerful engine.

The drivetrain parts you will need will be the transmission and clutch assembly from a V8 equipped car. All 98-02 cars used the same rears, they just had different gearing and V8 cars had limited slip differentials.

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdmo View Post
    i plan on doing the same thing, however mine is a 94 firebird.... need lots of @#$%^@#!! parts. Good thing im a ebay junkie

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can use the 3800-II trany (auto only) if it's a car equipt with the auburn (g80) or the 3.42(gu6) rear and the single drive shaft... Car must be a (y87) Camaro, (y3b) rs, or the firebird equivilent.. Same tranny as ls1 cars m30 or better known as the 4l60e.. However, if you're running a base model v6 car with the split drive shaft and the MXO trans you can't.. It will bolt up and it will then die... 5spd? lol don't even try it..
    Either way you'll have plenty of sh&t to do for the project..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    While thats definitely true, he's not just installing a stock LS1 in a V6 car...hes doing an LS3, which is a significantly more powerful engine.

The drivetrain parts you will need will be the transmission and clutch assembly from a V8 equipped car. All 98-02 cars used the same rears, they just had different gearing and V8 cars had limited slip differentials.
    I have a y87 one piece shaft and the auburn..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Exactly...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I think it would be a cool swap because a simple bolt on ls3 will still make more hp than a cam only ls1 and wil drive like a stock car. For the ls3 conversion your going to need a new driveshaft and most likely tranny also the front engine cradle has to be changed out for an ls1 one, then you will also need the accessory drive system from an ls1 car also the pcm will need to be changed for an ls1 one, gauge cluster from an ls1 car will be needed, and you will need a cam sensor extension harness knock sensor extension harness and 24x-58x reluctor wheel conversion box because those three things are different on the ls3 than the ls1. other than that you shoulld be ok the rear end willwork from your v6 car you just may not have posi which would not be good with v8 torque.

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    You can use the 3800-II trany (auto only) if it's a car equipt with the auburn (g80) or the 3.42(gu6) rear and the single drive shaft... Car must be a (y87) Camaro, (y3b) rs, or the firebird equivilent.. Same tranny as ls1 cars m30 or better known as the 4l60e.. However, if you're running a base model v6 car with the split drive shaft and the MXO trans you can't.. It will bolt up and it will then die... 5spd? lol don't even try it..
    Either way you'll have plenty of sh&t to do for the project..
    ha! my 2 pc shaft went to hell, then converted mine to a 1 piece for future engine swap
    NO BALLS -> NO LIFE
    1994 V6 Salvage FIREBIRD
    Full 98-02 T/A Body and T-Top Conversion Completed..
    West Coast Creations Hood
    American Racing Thrust Rims 16"
    Engine swap next year debating wat engine
    Build your own car like a man, dont be a pussy and buy one!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jager686 View Post
    ha! my 2 pc shaft went to hell, then converted mine to a 1 piece for future engine swap
    I never understood why GM used a one piece here and a 2 piece there.. Does'nt make any sense to me It's mechanically retarded..

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

just wondering after looking into the prices of the ls3 vs the L92, has any1 tried with this engine? its like half the price of a ls3 but 22 less hp..

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

the l92 is basically an ls3 with a different intake and vvt. If you use one ity will make the same hp but in order to run your f body pcm and gauges you will need to remove vvt which involves changing the cam, timing cover, lifter and trays so you would also need to add the to the cost of the l92

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    the l92 is basically an ls3 with a different intake and vvt. If you use one ity will make the same hp but in order to run your f body pcm and gauges you will need to remove vvt which involves changing the cam, timing cover, lifter and trays so you would also need to add the to the cost of the l92
    Bah! U just wrecked my day, can't find any reasonably price ls3'S...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...02-f-body.html this a link showing what is all needed for an ls3 swap or l92 swap into a 99-02 ls1 car so basically get what u need for an ls1 swap and then refer to this list

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...02-f-body.html this a link showing what is all needed for an ls3 swap or l92 swap into a 99-02 ls1 car so basically get what u need for an ls1 swap and then refer to this list
    Oh boy..

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

lol if you have an ls3 already its not that bad you would just need an injector adaptor harness, reluctor wheel conversion box, cam extension and knock sensor extension harness. and of course a tune when you get the l92. the list starts to get long because of the vvt elimination

Thread Information