Upgrading H/C at high mileage?

I'm gonna be buying an LS1 f-body in the next few months but my budget might only allow me to get something around $7,000-$8,000. This obviously means atleast 70k but probably even more. I don't want a stock car. I've already had a 94 Formula which I loved, but I want something with a hell of a lot more power. Basically what I want to know it what you guys think of doing aftermarket heads and cam(mid-range, not too big or too small) at 100k and up. Is it safe? Or will I just blow the engine?
    Last edited by DriveV8Faster; 11-04-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

If the car has been taken car of, i.e. regular maintenance, you should be fine.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

You may just want to replace things like lifters when you do the heads, new harmonic balancer when you do the cam, things like that. These are the items that tend to suffer more with mileage so replace them while its apart and you should be OK. When you look at the car, check for oil change frequency and you may even want to have someone do a leakdown/compression test to check on the rings, etc.

black
    2000 WS 6

My car has 99,xxx miles on it and I just now bought a H/C package I am the original owner.

This is a good topic.

How much is it to get someone to do a compression test? I dont have a clue how to do it and wont chance fucking it up.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    This is a good topic.

How much is it to get someone to do a compression test? I dont have a clue how to do it and wont chance fucking it up.

I don't know the price but I believe that the way to do it is to get each piston at BDC(bottom dead center) and then crank it over manually to TDC(top dead center) with a compression gauge in the spark plug hole for each cylinder. Also, it has to be on the compression stroke. Hell, I wouldn't attempt it myself, probably screw up.lol
    Last edited by DriveV8Faster; 10-15-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Actually, you remove the plugs then put the gauge into the first spark plug hole. With the coils and fuel pump shot off, crank the motor and get a compression reading. Move to next cylinder.

WTF?! BAIL!

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    Actually, you remove the plugs then put the gauge into the first spark plug hole. With the coils and fuel pump shot off, crank the motor and get a compression reading. Move to next cylinder.

It was one of the first things my dad taught me how to do when I had my old 4 cylinder.

Really not a big deal, I don't see what everyone is scared of.

Anyone else care to comment on my original question?

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by fbodylover4ever View Post
    Anyone else care to comment on my original question?

Wouldn't mind knowing myself.... im about to hit 160k. Maybe I should just get me one of them 408 iron blocks with all forged internals. Maybe.

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

This is a very good topic. I was thinking about a h/c swap also. So far i have about 56k on the motor. I've put 22k extremely well maintained miles on it, but i dont know how well it was maintained/driven before me so i was worried about the condition of the bottom end. I've been researching and gathering parts for awhile, i have just about everything to make the top end of the motor and valvetrain brand new except a cam... stg 2 heads, ported ls6 intake, t/b, oil pump,lifters,ect ect. But now that ive been fatally bitten by the performance bug i decided to save all the good stuff and wait for a new 383 short block. i am puttin a cam in to hold me over tho

Thread Information