Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Underdrive Pulley

I'm thinking of putting a underdrive pulley on my 2001 ta but i was wondering if it is difficult to install?

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

How To

I used this off the web and installed a SLP. Not that bad having never done it.

-24" Piece of pipe (for use w/ Breaker-bar)
    -18" 1/2" Breaker-bar, 15/16 socket (1/2"), 15mm Socket (3/8")
    -3/8" Socket wrench
    -Torque wrench (Capable of 250 Ft. Lbs)
    -3 arm pulley Puller

STEP 1: Remove the serpentine belts (2 of them).
    Using the 15mm socket, remove tension from the belts. To do this, simply apply pressure to the wrench in a downward/Clockwise position. The "Belt tensioner" pulley will rotate downward and remove tension. Just pull the belt off. This method works for both belts.

STEP 2: Loosen Crank pulley Bolt
    If you have a M-6, put it in 5th gear. This will prevent the crank from turning when breaking the crank bolt loose. Using the 18" Breaker-bar (along w/ the 24" Pipe...if necessary) loosen (DO NOT fully remove) the Crank pulley bolt. You want to leave the bolt still threaded just slightly. The bolt will provide the "base" on which the pulley puller will rest on.

STEP 3: Remove Pulley
    Attach pulley puller (Part# 2768RT) to the INSIDE hub of the pulley. DO NOT USE THE OUTSIDE DIAMETER...YOU WILL DAMAGE THE PULLEY. Notice the red arrow points to the Crank bolt still in place (although almost completely backed out). After the pulley is attached, begin tightening the Pulley-puller...as it tightens, the Pulley will begin to inch it's way off the crank snout. Unfortunately the Crank bolt isn't long enough to allow the pulley-puller to fully separate the Crank Pulley from the snout. To completely separate it, we had to use a small pry bar. (If you do this...BE GENTLE! You do not want to damage the crank.) After a few gentle pry's at various points around the pulley, it fell off into my hands

STEP 4: Install Under drive Pulley
    Lubricate and mount the ASP pulley onto the snout. You should be able to press it on just far enough to allow the STOCK crank bolt to begin threading. Once it is threaded, tighten it to 240 ft. lbs. or until it is completely seated on the crank snout. Afterwards, REMOVE THE STOCK BOLT and replace it with the NEW CRANK BOLT. You will tighten the NEW bolt to 37 ft. lbs. and then turn it an additional 120 degrees.

You are almost finished. Afterwards, re-install the new belts (shorter belts), using the diagram located on the driver side fender well in the engine bay.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

What brand are you getting?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

pulley

i really do not know what pulley to get. wat pulleys out there are good?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have the slp pulley and it is great oly about 200.00 or less there is also an asp and it is a littel more but just as good.

Thread Information